PDA

View Full Version : Navy reconnects with good news Web site

thedrifter
03-09-09, 07:56 AM
Navy reconnects with good news Web site
Published: March 8, 2009 at 9:06 PM

NORFOLK, Va., March 8 (UPI) -- The U.S. Navy has re-established ties with a domestic Web site that publishes good news about American service members, officials said.

Armed Forces News Services had been cut off from receiving information about women in uniform since 2003 amid security concerns, The (Norfolk) Virginian-Pilot reported Sunday.

Charlie Mitchell, who runs the site, had published information about military promotions and graduations. Officials stopped sending Mitchell press releases out of concern that a terrorist or thief might locate the families of sailors or Marines, or even piece together an entire crew list.

"They decided to err on the side of caution," said Mitchell, a Vietnam veteran. "I can understand their position, but I thought it was stupid."

In late January, Mitchell said he got a call at his home in New Bern, N.C., from a public affairs officer at the Fleet Hometown News Center in Norfolk about once again publishing their good news releases.

"You could have knocked me over with a feather," said Mitchell, 70, who initially fought the Navy's decision to cut him off.

Navy Cmdr. Chris Sims said the service is trying to produce more news and "reach deep into America to tell the accomplishments of their local men and women serving in uniform around the world."

The Virginian-Pilot said Armed Forces News Service draws about 3,000 visitors daily and has nearly 500,000 posts from every service branch.

Ellie