PDA

View Full Version : "That man is a Marine....he's family..."

Big Jim
03-08-09, 10:26 PM
I have a friend who became a good friend due to his son being on active duty Marine Corps....well his son is going back to Afghanistan for his second tour now. I've known him and his son for a good while now....about 2 years I think. We met when he noticed my UCMC magnet on my truck and we just started a conversation about the Marine Corps and his son being a Pfc. on active duty in Afghanistan on his first tour.

Earlier today, I drove my truck down to gas it up at the local United Dairy Farmers where he is the owner of the establishment. Well, I haven't seen my friend in a few weeks so when I did he came out he shook my hand. We started talking about his son going back to the Middle Eastern theater for the second time and some talk about getting together for a BBQ when it gets warmer. We said our goodbyes and see you laters and I overheard the cashier girl ask him, "How do you know that guy...?" She was talking about me....and my friend correct her and said..."That man is a Marine....he's family...!"

I can't tell you how proud I was of him and his dedication to being a friend. I felt that he defined his friendship true at that moment. It made me think about how he felt maybe feeling closer to his son in some way and being a part of the Marine Corps family made that easier for him and it made our friendship even stronger. Its the little things in life that mean the most.....