PDA

View Full Version : Small boats mos

Bm3
03-07-09, 07:46 PM
I am a Bm3 in the USCG and am looking at joining the Marines after my enlistments up. I have been looking into all the mos with small boats such as 0312, 0314, 0316 online but they all say the same thing. Can anyone tell me anything more specific about them then what about.com has to say. I would like to go into the recruiters office with a little bit of knowledge. Thanks.

immaproshooter
03-08-09, 12:09 PM
0312- http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/0313new.htm
0313- http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/0313n.htm

they are diff links

Zulu 36
03-08-09, 05:32 PM
I am a Bm3 in the USCG and am looking at joining the Marines after my enlistments up. I have been looking into all the mos with small boats such as 0312, 0314, 0316 online but they all say the same thing. Can anyone tell me anything more specific about them then what about.com has to say. I would like to go into the recruiters office with a little bit of knowledge. Thanks.

Just curious, but why to you want to get out of the USCG for? It's been my experience that the CG pushes command responsibility lower than any other branch, including the Marine Corps.

Bm3
03-08-09, 08:24 PM
I have always felt I chickened out when I joined the CG instead of the Marines. I used some lame excuses on why I did. I tried to switch branches almost as soon as i reported to my first unit but that was shot down real fast by my chain of command. So my enlistment is up this summer and I want to step up and serve in the Marine where i should of started my military career. The CG is a good place for a lot of people but I dont feel as though im in the right uniform so it is not for me.

rvillac2
03-08-09, 08:32 PM
FYI: None of those MOS's you listed are primary contract MOS's. They are all 03xx first.

Zulu 36
03-08-09, 09:09 PM
FYI: None of those MOS's you listed are primary contract MOS's. They are all 03xx first.

rvillac2 has a point. You'd have to go with a primary infantry MOS first (rifleman, machine gunner, etc), then after some time in, you could apply for those small boat schools. Being a qualified CG coxswain will help a lot if there are slots to be had.

Now is a good time to go chat with a Marine recruiter.

Bm3
03-12-09, 12:15 PM
I have an apt. with the recruiter on fri. Thank you all for your answers to this post and for your service.

KawiGunny
03-12-09, 02:30 PM
I have always felt I chickened out when I joined the CG instead of the Marines. I used some lame excuses on why I did. I tried to switch branches almost as soon as i reported to my first unit but that was shot down real fast by my chain of command. So my enlistment is up this summer and I want to step up and serve in the Marine where i should of started my military career. The CG is a good place for a lot of people but I dont feel as though im in the right uniform so it is not for me.

The CG does a lot of good things that many people never hear about. So far your post sounds like your heart is in the right place to be a Marine.

Swampyankee
03-14-09, 09:35 AM
Not to throw a wet sponge on the topic, but, in this climate if he was to go into the 03 field would he be able to get where he wants to go from there? I'm only looking at it from my own personnal experiance, albiet 30+ years ago. When the bodies were needed in the grunts it was near impossible to move anywhere once in a line company.
I can sympathize though. I'm glad I started in the Corps, it prepared me for everything else. On the other hand, being a coxswain and an OD of a small boat station was the pinnacle of my time in the military.

CQB0316
06-11-10, 10:38 PM
Does anyone know what unit has 0312s? And are they strictly a Riverine unit or what? Since ive been in I havent heard much about these guys

firedog974
06-11-10, 11:14 PM
Does anyone know what unit has 0312s? And are they strictly a Riverine unit or what?

The only one's I know of have been reserve units. A Deputy on my squad did that small craft stuff in Iraq in the reserves. It looks and sounds like some high speed stuff, but I haven't heard much about it on the active side. I also remember a while ago a Marine on this forum, who was injured in combat, had a thread about the stuff he did on small crafts in Iraq. I remember the guy got his hand tore up pretty good from a gunshot or something. Not sure if he was active or not. Anyone else recall that thread?

CQB0316
06-11-10, 11:17 PM
Well would he happen to know of any Riverine Reserve units in CA?

firedog974
06-11-10, 11:19 PM
Well would he happen to know of any Riverine Reserve units in CA?

I'll be glad to ask. I'll be working with him Monday. I'll let you know. I will also try to search for that other thread.

CQB0316
06-11-10, 11:24 PM
Awesome, thank you.

firedog974
06-11-10, 11:34 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44360
Here is the thread I was talking about. Post #7 tells his unit and mission.

usmcgunrock
06-12-10, 04:17 AM
OK let me see if I can answer some questions here. An infantry battalion has 5 companies. One is H&S, one weapons, and 3 line companies. Well each one of those line companies has a tasker on how they would work according to a assault from ship. You have helo, boat, and mech. The boat assault the beach via ribs(boats) and that is the company that sends people to the boat schools. The helo goes in via air and packs a little heavier then the boat company because they are going to be away from the beach. Now the mech company is the MEU's heavy hitters and bring a lot to the fight. But they are also the slowest when it comes to getting in and out.

As far as your original question. The best bet for ending up in a boat is to go in as an 0311. Get a 1st class swim qual and let the unit know your prior boat experience when you get to the battalion. Then you just have to wait for a MEU so you can get a lot of boat time. Right now with the combat pumps we are doing the focus has gone away from the traditional ops and more focused on everyone training for foot and vehicle patrol/assault stuff. Also know that you are going to go back to boot camp and only be a PFC.