PDA

View Full Version : Marriage and MOS?

ItsARUSH2221
03-07-09, 05:22 PM
I'm a brand new BOOT Marine, very proud to have trained at our Beautiful Depot, and was just wondering the policy towards having your spouse live with you during MOS training. Is it allowed? I have heard both yes, as well as no. Any information will be very helpfull. Thanks

ItsARUSH2221
03-07-09, 05:31 PM
Also, as i failed to mention. I'll be in Florida for ATC training.

johnb08
03-07-09, 06:13 PM
From what I heard is this:

If your MOS school is longer than 6 months, the Marine Corps will pay you your full BAH and you won't be required to live in the barracks. However, I think you do have the option to rent an apt. for her and come see her when you are not at your training or stay with her during the weekend.

Marines, please correct me if I'm wrong, just passing on what I've heard.

Best of luck.

sadibenz
03-07-09, 06:16 PM
I think you will have to request special quarters at the base housing area or off base. It used to be very frond upon for your spouse to accompany you during training of any kind. Infact, it was discouraged most of the time. You could probably arrange off base housing at your own expense. Of course, you may not be there with her much either.
Sorry if that hurts.
But, there used to be an old saying, If the Corps wanted you to have a spouse, they would have issued you one.
Good Luck

marine3043
03-07-09, 06:20 PM
dump her, there are to many problems with pfcs and lcpls that are married.

davblay
03-07-09, 06:40 PM

Kind of reminds me of an old saying I heard somewhere.

"A BABY SPENDS 9 MONTHS TRYING TO GET OUT OF THERE, AND THE MALES SPEND THE REST OF THIER LIVES TRYING TO GET BACK IN ONE"!

Go Figure!

Dave

Achped
03-08-09, 05:59 AM
But Dave Icant think of any other place I'd rather be!

sparkie
03-08-09, 06:27 AM
But Dave Icant think of any other place I'd rather be!
I hear that's wet and wild,,,,,,,

MrsNix
03-10-09, 10:06 PM
You will be busy, Dear.

Depending on the length of your training school, you and your wife need to view this as a deployment and suck it up apart.

You just finished swimming your way out of the deep end. It is now your wife's turn. Her job, which we spouses all learn sooner or later, is to wait and maintain the marriage and marital home while you are gone.

Better that her first separation from you take place while she only has to figure out how to get through missing you...rather than fearing for your life on top of learning how to be married and faithful without you around.

Unless you're going to a school that will separate you longer than a year...leave her at home. This is your "freebie" as a couple to learn how this is all going to go and figure out how to maintain your marriage during long absence. It will happen over and over again over your tenure with the USMC, and this will be the lowest-stress separation you will EVER have. Take advantage of it. Learn from it. Use it as an opportunity to grow into this life.

If your wife can't handle THIS...you are in big big trouble.

That is my advice.

LMW1226
03-11-09, 05:17 PM
I agree with Mrs. Nix. It really is not easy. Two months after my husband and I got married, he was deployed for the first entire year of our marriage. I mean now when he gets deployed to wherever it may be or goes to training, it's hard but not as hard.

I don't think that we would have made it if I was not have brought up in a Marine home. My dad brother grandfather uncle and cousin are all Marines as well as my husband obviously.

This is how I understand it, and anyone feel free to correct me. If your MOS school is longer then 6 months, I believe it is a PCS even though it is just school. It is really hard to get base housing too. If your school is like 7 months, thats not even hardly enough to get a house on base and sometimes even off base housing. We live out here in California and the wait was about 1-1 1/2 years when we got here. But it's not worth taking her if its less then 6 months because your going to be so busy with school and TMO wont move you. You are going to have to pay out of pocket for your moving expenses. I believe you only get 1 move from TMO per PCS.

But i woulndt bring her. Like Mrs. Nix said it's going to show you guys what it's like to be away from one another. And if she can't even handle you being away at school, she most likly will never survive you on a deployment especially if you have a dangerous MOS.

Really think about it. It's a big decision. And as hard as it looks from the outside, it's even harder on the inside.

Good Luck!

Allheart70
05-22-09, 02:19 AM
Dump her? You don’t dump your spouse if it is incontinent. If that were the case, there would be absolutely NO married MARINES, because THEY’D get DUMPED! The man asked a valid question about his wife staying with him while he goes to MOS training right out of boot camp. That is very unhelpful to a new fellow Marine asking for help. Did you never learn any of the leadership qualities?

Allheart70
05-22-09, 02:46 AM
I'm a brand new BOOT Marine, very proud to have trained at our Beautiful Depot, and was just wondering the policy towards having your spouse live with you during MOS training. Is it allowed? I have heard both yes, as well as no. Any information will be very helpfull. Thanks
I don’t know if the policy has changed, however 20 years ago, in Millington, TN, I was able to live with my husband while he was going to MOS training. We lived off base, but I don’t know if base housing was available. However, you have to decide if this is the best option for you two or not. You will need little distraction, a lot of study/homework time, and loads of sleep. That leaves little time for each other. That can be stressful on any marriage, especially a new one. She will get very little attention from you.

My husband was an instructor at NATTC Pensacola; I think you will like it. When you do get housing, get Corry housing, it is the best and it stood up to hurricane Ivan, (among many others), without any problems.

Welcome to the Marine Corps!
Semper Fi! And Semper Gumby!

Idena
05-24-09, 06:51 PM
You will be busy, Dear.

Depending on the length of your training school, you and your wife need to view this as a deployment and suck it up apart.

You just finished swimming your way out of the deep end. It is now your wife's turn. Her job, which we spouses all learn sooner or later, is to wait and maintain the marriage and marital home while you are gone.

Better that her first separation from you take place while she only has to figure out how to get through missing you...rather than fearing for your life on top of learning how to be married and faithful without you around.

Unless you're going to a school that will separate you longer than a year...leave her at home. This is your "freebie" as a couple to learn how this is all going to go and figure out how to maintain your marriage during long absence. It will happen over and over again over your tenure with the USMC, and this will be the lowest-stress separation you will EVER have. Take advantage of it. Learn from it. Use it as an opportunity to grow into this life.

If your wife can't handle THIS...you are in big big trouble.

That is my advice.
I'm going to out-and-out disagree with this.

There will be enough times when your separation from your spouse is mandatory. Better to spend as much time as you are able living together, building your marriage, if you can manage it (Meaning you are permitted to do so & can arrange it financially.). No one has to learn to be faithful - you choose to be faithful, so the circumstances of the separation should have little to do with fidelity.

johnb08
05-25-09, 12:09 PM
Marine,

please let us know as I too am a going to go as Public Affairs and want to know if my wife will be able to come with me to Maryland.

- Poolee Robbart

DobbinsBlythe
05-26-09, 12:01 AM
Honestly, it's very possible for her to live NEAR you. You will probably be MADE to live in batchelor housing. I knew a Marine who was in MOS school with my husband. His wife chose to live off base and used their BAH from their home state to pay for it--because unless your MOS school is longer than a certain period of time, it won't be allowed. However, I think It might be close to a year that it becomes allowed. You might want to research that. I used to know the exact times, but I have no idea anymore.

You won't be guaranteed liberty to go home. You will be confined a lot to your barracks.. however, having your wife nearby may help, as long as she's not the type to cause a distraction--allowing marital issues to take precedence over the Corps isn't exactly permissible. I hope that she's realized she's Married to the Corps and not just to you.

I hope this helps.

BTW.. to the jerk who says to DUMP HER?! This is a spouse forum. If you don't like spouses, I'd suggest you hop on off of here. My 2 cents. I was married to my husband while he was a LCpl. We were engaged prior to his entry to the Corps.

We're still together and probably the strongest couple I've EVER met.

Everyone's situation is different and to make a statement like "dump her" to a Marine who has already chosen marriage 1. is disrespectful, and 2. is immature.

People make their own decisions. That's how life is.

If I had listened to all the idiots out there who told me to dump my now husband and told me that I'd be more trouble to him than support then I'm sure that life would pretty much suck for me, and for him. I'm 100% committed to making our marriage the best it can be, and to making his life a million times better than it would be if I weren't in it.

Don't ever doubt a hard-headed Marine wife. We always win. Just the way it works.

Again, please remember that this section of the forums is a SPOUSE forum. Try not to offend us SPOUSES.

PaidinBlood
05-26-09, 01:18 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2160/2232116508_b7d378f819.jpg?v=0
:yes::yes:

ringoffire
05-26-09, 02:50 PM
It does depend on how long the MOS school is...you have to research that. I never went with The Husband when he was in school, it was only a few months and the moving would have been too much of a hassel. We move enough, I don't need to add to that. I know many spouses that follow thier husbands to MOS schools, but I don't think the expense is worth it....especially when you are just starting out, save the money

DocGreek
05-27-09, 03:33 PM
"Love is a burning ring...a ring of FIRE!", Mr. Johnny Cash.....DOC

Supersquishy
05-27-09, 03:56 PM
I'd wait until you at least are in the Fleet, your going to have too much stuff to deal with while in school, you don't need the extra stress. I'd have her visit Mom and Dad, it'll keep her preoccupied.