PDA

View Full Version : Service in the military links three generations of Perdews

thedrifter
03-07-09, 07:40 AM
All in the family
Service in the military links three generations of Perdews

By KATIE WILLIAMS, Messenger staff writer
POSTED: March 7, 2009

Military life runs deep with the Perdew family.

On Friday they remembered DeWayne Perdew who died on Feb. 25 at the age of 64. A color guard, provided by the American Legion Freedom Riders and the Patriot Guard Riders, attended the memorial service at the VFW, 518 S. 29th St. The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1856 provided a rifle salute.

DeWayne Perdew was a Fort Dodge native who served his country for three years as a private in the United States Marine Corps.

"He went in at 17," said his son Lt. Col. Jason Perdew. "I call myself a third-generation Marine."

Jason Perdew signed up to become a Marine at his father's urging, he said.

"I thought they were too hard," he said. "I credit him for pushing me to apply for the scholarship."

He received a full scholarship through the Marines to attend Iowa State University to study psychology, he said. That was 19 years ago. Jason Perdew is now stationed in California with the Marines.

His great uncle was also a Marine. So were his father and uncles. His grandfathers were in the Navy.

Now he and his brothers are carrying on the family's military tradition, he said.

"Dad was always concerned about what was going on in my life," he said. "He was a fun guy to be around."

DeWayne Perdew is survived by 10 grandchildren and many friends, Jason Perdew said.

"He was a really friendly guy."

Contact Katie Williams at (515) 573-2141 or katie@messengernews.net

Ellie