PDA

View Full Version : Still Fighting the Fight

thedrifter
03-07-09, 07:38 AM
Still Fighting the Fight
March 06, 2009
Marine Corps News

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. — “I can remember when I was little riding in the front seat of my grandpa’s truck singing The Marines Hymn,” said Lance Cpl. Amanda N. Doubrava, comptroller clerk, 2nd Marine Logistics Group. “[My grandpa] used to put me to sleep at night singing it.”

For the 19-year-old from Skidmore, Texas the Marine Corps has been synonymous with friends and family.

“I don’t know my biological father,” she said. “All my father figures in my life were Marines.”

Among them were her stepfather, close friend, best friend’s father and her grandfather, a man who served 30 years in the Marine Corps from 1955 to 1985 and retired a master gunnery sergeant. For Doubrava, he encompassed all that the Marine Corps stood for even after he retired and inspired her to enlist.

“He had a lot of books [from his time in the Marine Corps] that I used to look through,” said the stock show competitor. “He also had a sea bag full of [Marine Corps] memorabilia. I never really understood it ‘til I was in high school and was going to join.”

As good of an example as her grandfather was, Doubrava said he never really talked about his time in the Marine Corps or his two tours in Vietnam. That’s where her stepfather and best friend’s dad helped, two men who each served six years in the Marine Corps.

“They were a lot more open, they’d talk about the Marine Corps a lot with me,” She explained. “When I was talking to the recruiter they’d answer a lot of questions.”

Doubrava said she knew in 8th grade that she would join the Marine Corps and began talking to a recruiter when she was only 16. Although she knew she wanted to be a Marine at a young age, she worked hard throughout high school and graduated fifth in her class while attending some college classes her senior year. She also spent her time weight lifting, hunting and raising pigs, lambs and cattle for stock shows.

Being a Marine was something Doubrava always looked forward to, to being part of “The Few, The Proud.”

“I always thought Marines were so cool,” she said. “I always thought Marines were the elite, the best.”

Now that she has joined the ranks of the Marine Corps as the first female Marine in her family, she says there is no difference from her and the men in her family. It’s not important that she’s the first female, but that she’s a Marine.

“I don’t really think of it differently,” she said. “It’s just kind of a continuation of Marines. I probably would not have joined if my grandpa wasn’t a Marine.”

Doubrava says she looks forward to seeing what the Marine Corps can offer and can’t wait for her chance to deploy.

“I’ve only been in for two years,” she mentioned. “I would like to see more and deploy. I hope I serve my country well like my family did.”

Ellie