PDA

View Full Version : New army boot camp

Blutic
03-06-09, 06:26 PM
:marine:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5jRawaB1tY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5jRawaB1tY)

390 Mach I
03-06-09, 08:07 PM
sorry... but the Army is weak.
The United States Marine Corps = "the Best" and will not follow suit.
Boot Camp is already 'easier' from what I understand.

Hell no!
Marines are a different breed.

I am not sure if it is the same today... but when I was active...
If you endured Marine Corps Basic Training you could, at the end of your enlistement transfer to any other service and not have to go through their 'Basic Training'
If you had gone through 'Marine Corps Basic Training' then you automatically qualified for the other services 'Basic Training'.
However, if you were Army, Navy or Air Force and wanted to be a Marine...
Well you had to endure our BT.

Still the same or are we diluted?

SGT7477
03-06-09, 08:55 PM
You are correct I don't think it has changed, I hope not.

mcvet57103
03-06-09, 09:16 PM
You are correct I don't think it has changed, I hope not.No it hasn't changed. Being all you can be apparently means being all the fat body you can be. Oh sh-t I'm sorry, that is the old Army Moto, which they seem to change like underwear. Anyway where was I? Oh Yes......An Army of one is comprised of a fat body who is in themselves the size of a platoon. Army of one ton. ROFLMFAO!!!!

ecfree
03-06-09, 09:47 PM
I believe the Marine Corps boot camp of today is a little softer than when I went through.:evilgrin:
And Vets of 50 or 60 years ago will say that we had it easy...The fact is we are kicking ass in the war,and Marines don't bother with takeing names.....:evilgrin:

mcvet57103
03-06-09, 09:55 PM
I believe the Marine Corps boot camp of today is a little softer than when I went through.:evilgrin:
And Vets of 50 or 60 years ago will say that we had it easy...The fact is we are kicking ass in the war,and Marines don't bother with takeing names.....:evilgrin:You are correct EC. the Marine Corps recruit Depot whether P.I. Or Diego has become soft. But by Army comparison it is still the most elite, and demanding of all the Boot camps. I imagine in 20 years with the libtards constant biotching and whining, the Corps will finally succumb to pressure and recruit training in the Corps will be what the Army boot camp was 20 years ago. Beer and candy machines, weekend passes, and no yelling allowed.

ecfree
03-06-09, 10:05 PM
You are correct EC. the Marine Corps recruit Depot whether P.I. Or Diego has become soft. But by Army comparison it is still the most elite, and demanding of all the Boot camps. I imagine in 20 years with the libtards constant biotching and whining, the Corps will finally succumb to pressure and recruit training in the Corps will be what the Army boot camp was 20 years ago. Beer and candy machines, weekend passes, and no yelling allowed.
Geedunk at Parris Island ?:evilgrin:
NEVER
I can see that happening in Deigo,but never in THE MCRD at Parris Island South Carolina..:evilgrin:
Save the brew machines for Camp Lejune...:beer:

MLMonk
03-06-09, 10:17 PM
PI was kind of easy for me, but I don't think I'm too normal. I went in prepared as possible.

The army here has it way to easy..they get weekends off and most of the recruits stay at the USO on the XBox or computers. Hell some of them eat at MY chow hall right by my barracks, good to know that I am eating near a recruit, that will never settle for the Marines, and it better not even come close.

Alisium
03-06-09, 11:09 PM
You are correct EC. the Marine Corps recruit Depot whether P.I. Or Diego has become soft. But by Army comparison it is still the most elite, and demanding of all the Boot camps. I imagine in 20 years with the libtards constant biotching and whining, the Corps will finally succumb to pressure and recruit training in the Corps will be what the Army boot camp was 20 years ago. Beer and candy machines, weekend passes, and no yelling allowed.

I wouldn't say recruit training isn't soft today. It may be different and there are things you can't do but it certainly isn't soft by any means.

Integrity57
03-06-09, 11:50 PM
Are you serious they have weekend Lib during Boot Camp? I've heard the Air Force does that, but the Navy sure as **** ain't that weak. I doubt they even drop those kids anymore. I went to Boot during the holiday months and my division got beat twice on Thanksgiving day. Our RDC's, Recruit Division Commanders, made sure we knew that they hated us and were going to punish us for ****ing up, not to mention they straight up told us they would not take pictures with us on graduation day like DIs do with their new Marines.

mpellie
03-07-09, 12:33 AM
hahaha.....Army with liberty weekends during basic training..never happened....I will admit it was hard but my stupid 17 year old mind didnt comprehend what in the hell I was doing...it was all purely physical...seriously monkeys could do what we did. Im going to be going through Marine boot in 2 weeks time and from the layout Ive seen, MC boot camp is not only physical but mental as well. Hence why they are the elite of all the branches,they not only show you how to do things but why you do the things they have you do.

SGT7477
03-07-09, 07:00 AM
No it hasn't changed. Being all you can be apparently means being all the fat body you can be. Oh sh-t I'm sorry, that is the old Army Moto, which they seem to change like underwear. Anyway where was I? Oh Yes......An Army of one is comprised of a fat body who is in themselves the size of a platoon. Army of one ton. ROFLMFAO!!!!
Don't get me started mcvet on the army I learned well from my SDI who never said a good thing about the army, he said they look like a fvcking bunch of Christmas trees in their dress uniforms with all the patches and trinkets hanging ,hell he even said they probably pass out a badge for who can chit the best, army= Aren't Ready to be Marines Yet, OOHRAH.:evilgrin:

GSEMarine94
03-07-09, 07:48 AM
You are correct about Marines not having to re-do Army basic. I am currently going thru the red tape of getting into National Guard OCS, and do not have to re-do any training (officers in the Army have to do basic as well as OCS). I have been plesently surprised of the amount of Marines serving in the Guard, the unit that I am drilling with until I leave for OCS is composed of a 1/4 Marines.
Oh and another difference is that prior service Marines get to keep their rank, where as a prior service soldier usually comes in as an E-3. A friend of mine who was a Marine Sgt came in as a Sgt, never see that in the Corps.

SGT7477
03-07-09, 07:51 AM
I've also heard that on the rank issue too.

Rocky C
03-07-09, 08:04 AM
You got that right Brother!!! When I was in Boot if you looked at the D.I the wrong way, he'd knock your azz out!!!! Today if that happens I hear you can bring charges against them, WTF????? <br />
<br />
My...

jetdawgg
03-07-09, 10:26 AM
http://www.catshoes.com/Tubes/Cartoons/Beetle9.gif

jetdawgg
03-07-09, 10:34 AM
:marine:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5jRawaB1tY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5jRawaB1tY)

http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/Beetle-Bailey-friends.gif

mcvet57103
03-07-09, 10:38 AM
hahaha.....Army with liberty weekends during basic training..never happened....I will admit it was hard but my stupid 17 year old mind didnt comprehend what in the hell I was doing...it was all purely physical...seriously monkeys could do what we did. Im going to be going through Marine boot in 2 weeks time and from the layout Ive seen, MC boot camp is not only physical but mental as well. Hence why they are the elite of all the branches,they not only show you how to do things but why you do the things they have you do.When the f**k did they start explaining to the recruits why they are making them do something??? Sh-t when I went through, you just did what you were told, and never ever asked "why". That would get you a trip to happy valley, or the quarter deck, or both.

SGT7477
03-07-09, 11:21 AM
Or the pit or the classroom or even worse the duty hut never did end up there seen a few make it there and it wasn't good,lol.

mcvet57103
03-07-09, 11:25 AM
Or the pit or the classroom or even worse the duty hut never did end up there seen a few make it there and it wasn't good,lol.Yeah that's what I meant by Happy Valley. That was my Drill Instrutor's name for the pit. He used to say "I call it Happy Valley because once you're in my "Valley" you'll be "Happy" to be anywhere else." SF

mpellie
03-07-09, 01:23 PM
As far as rank...my rank is gone..I was a SSG in the Army..going to boot as just a recruit,with PFC pay..but itll all be worth it in the end. The way I see it,its not a demotion but a promotion,because no matter what rank ill end up being,Ill still be a U.S. Marine..

And as far as the beer machines...where have those been?..Id love a beer machine...lol..

maverickmarine
03-07-09, 02:28 PM
Good, good...don't freakin' yell at them and hurt their feelings. I sure hope their enemies are as compassionate. Aint Really Marine Yet!

SGT7477
03-07-09, 03:00 PM
As far as rank...my rank is gone..I was a SSG in the Army..going to boot as just a recruit,with PFC pay..but itll all be worth it in the end. The way I see it,its not a demotion but a promotion,because no matter what rank ill end up being,Ill still be a U.S. Marine..

And as far as the beer machines...where have those been?..Id love a beer machine...lol..
The Drill Instructors will have a hey day with you I hope you are thick skinned,lol.:D

Bonzack
03-07-09, 04:38 PM
You gotta be freaking kidding me.

mpellie
03-07-09, 06:30 PM
everybody is telling me that...good thing I was raised by a Marine recon sniper...been in boot camp since i was a kid...lol...wish I could hide the fact I was in the Army...not really the proudest time of my life..I was sgt-save-a-soldier,going to bat for all my soldiers and getting the brunt of it,so I got out.

mcvet57103
03-07-09, 06:39 PM
everybody is telling me that...good thing I was raised by a Marine recon sniper...been in boot camp since i was a kid...lol...wish I could hide the fact I was in the Army...not really the proudest time of my life..I was sgt-save-a-soldier,going to bat for all my soldiers and getting the brunt of it,so I got out.Being a SSgt in the Army gives you, in the Corps, a fast track to promotions. You will find with prior service you will adapt and learn much faster than Joe Private in most cases. I wish you luck, and SF. My Step-son is a SSGt in the Army with three PHs earned in an 8 day period. Google SSgt Craig Showers if you wish to know more about him. SF

Zulu 36
03-07-09, 08:03 PM
The DIs will pick on you for being prior Army. They find reasons to pick on everyone - being an ex-soldier just provides them with a wonderful ready made excuse. But, they are testing you. If you let it roll off your back, they will ease up on you and may even show a little more respect for you (at least toward the end of boot camp). After all, you might have as much time in the military as one or two of them.

Your prior experience should make boot camp slightly easier for you, although don't be surprised to be placed in a squad leader/guide position early on. The DIs want SL/Guide who can make their life simpler. There was an ex-Army guy in my platoon and he was a squad leader from beginning to end. He had no problems with boot camp at all. The DIs pretty much left him alone about being a doggy after a week or so once he proved he could take it and could perform to Marine Corps standard. In fact, his age and experience was a bonus for a lot of us young kids as he knew some general tricks and tips on surviving military life. He would have made meritorious PFC if he hadn't already been a contract PFC.

After boot camp,like mcvet57103 said, you will be on a bit of a fast track for promotions if you work hard and keep your sh*t together. Your prior military experience will show through. Don't expect to pickup SSgt as fast though. SSgt is a major promotion milestone in the Corps and the majority do not make that rank until at least their second enlistment. Making sergeant in a few years is quite doable, however.

mpellie
03-07-09, 08:11 PM
I thank you for the tips. Im hoping I succeed in boot camp and if I get put into a leadership position,I truely hope I dont fail myself and my platoon. As far as getting back up to E-6, Im honestly not shooting for that. Im hoping after a few years as enlisted I would be accepted into the OCS program.I do have my degree, but I am opting for enlisted first, as the best officers Ive ever met were prior enlisted.

SGT7477
03-07-09, 08:20 PM
everybody is telling me that...good thing I was raised by a Marine recon sniper...been in boot camp since i was a kid...lol...wish I could hide the fact I was in the Army...not really the proudest time of my life..I was sgt-save-a-soldier,going to bat for all my soldiers and getting the brunt of it,so I got out.
If you raised by a Marine why did you go army?:flag:

Pete0331
03-07-09, 08:29 PM
Good job Army, way to enforce the standard.

mpellie
03-07-09, 08:32 PM
I was 17 and I had tried going into the Marine Corps...and unfortunately being young and dumb I got a tattoo on the back of my neck. So the recruiter told me that was an automatic DQ and said something to the effect if 'i was prior service' that he could have maybe pulled some strings. So I decided to join the Army and they got me a tattoo waiver,after completing all my training and doing my time (yeah,kinda like prison,lol). I had the tattoo removed with a laser and finished my degree and now I am finally able to join the Corps. Everyone keeps telling me how crazy I am for joining the corps, and perhaps I am, but I dont think I will ever be able to live with myself if I dont try.

60Days
03-07-09, 10:05 PM
mpellie, Hooah! :beer:

Boy am I glad this forum is not a bar.

charm1110
03-08-09, 03:20 AM
mpellie, I had a prior army (sgt) buddy in boot camp and I.T.S. we even went to 1/5 together same company and platoon all the way thru. he deserted after 6 mos. in the fleet said he couldn't take the mindgames?? I guess he was disappointed by the fact that we trained daily and actually had to work. wasn't what he was used to in the army.
I'm sure you won't have that problem though.. good luck

mcvet57103
03-08-09, 09:29 AM
mpellie, Hooah! :beer:

Boy am I glad this forum is not a bar.Hooah!!??? WTF????

Gunner 0313
03-08-09, 10:03 AM
:flag:Good luck Mpellie. You definitely took the rough road to get there. I'm sure that you'll excell above and beyond the other recruits. BTW where the fu ck is Snata Fe ? LOL

mcvet57103
03-08-09, 10:19 AM
I had a fellow recruit in my platoon who did a latteral transfer to the Corps from the Navy after doing prior service in the Army, and Air Farce. He said when asked why he would take a cut in grade and do boot all over again, that he served in all the other branches and found them lacking, so decided to try the best. He started as a private, became a squad leader and graduated a PFC. Never saw him again my entire service, but I'm sure he did good as a Marine. His picture is in my photos on my profile page, his name is F.D. Johnson. I think prior service definately gives a recruit a step up, and a head start when joining the Marines. SF

SGT7477
03-08-09, 11:32 AM
Hooah!!??? WTF????
Hooah doesn't belong here it's OOHRAH,now cut that frickin Christmas tree down.:evilgrin:

SGT7477
03-08-09, 11:33 AM
I had a fellow recruit in my platoon who did a latteral transfer to the Corps from the Navy after doing prior service in the Army, and Air Farce. He said when asked why he would take a cut in grade and do boot all over again, that he served in all the other branches and found them lacking, so decided to try the best. He started as a private, became a squad leader and graduated a PFC. Never saw him again my entire service, but I'm sure he did good as a Marine. His picture is in my photos on my profile page, his name is F.D. Johnson. I think prior service definately gives a recruit a step up, and a head start when joining the Marines. SF
It works for some but some never adapt to being a Marine.:flag:

60Days
03-08-09, 12:15 PM
Just showing some Army love. Maybe they can start throwing us prior service guys in a boot camp platoon all our own. Sure we'd all drown together at Swim Qual... but as... brothers.

mcvet57103
03-08-09, 03:03 PM
Just showing some Army love. Maybe they can start throwing us prior service guys in a boot camp platoon all our own. Sure we'd all drown together at Swim Qual... but as... brothers.First off this is a Marine Site not a friggin Army site, You wanna show Army love do it some wheres else. Second if you wanna be taken serious here fill out your profile. Third, you mention prior service, what were you friggin Coast guard? HooAh sounds like something a fag might say as he's taking a meat torpedo up the azz.:evilgrin:

mpellie
03-08-09, 03:37 PM
I agree with sgt7477...I came out of basic training...expecting,hoping to continue training. I was soo disappointed that when meeting my 1sgt he gave me a hug and told me relax kid...I was like WTF...i was soooo bored...I even made **** up to do,i redid our filing system and fixed some programs on the units computers.Even when I made Sgt,I got a lot of crap for helping out my soldiers..other NCO's told me I was stupid for helping them,that i should just give em orders thats what they're there for..my reaction was 'I would never make my soldiers do something i wouldnt do myself'

mcvet57103
03-08-09, 05:43 PM
I agree with sgt7477...I came out of basic training...expecting,hoping to continue training. I was soo disappointed that when meeting my 1sgt he gave me a hug and told me relax kid...I was like WTF...i was soooo bored...I even made **** up to do,i redid our filing system and fixed some programs on the units computers.Even when I made Sgt,I got a lot of crap for helping out my soldiers..other NCO's told me I was stupid for helping them,that i should just give em orders thats what they're there for..my reaction was 'I would never make my soldiers do something i wouldnt do myself'When I was in and had attained the rank of Cpl, I was given a work detail to supervise. I was bored so I jumped in and helped thinking the men would like me more if I was willing to work to. Well while I was helping the CO happened to stop by. He pulled me aside and asked me what I thought I was doing. When I explained, he said to me, if you want to work I'll make you a LCpl again. Your job, as an NCO is to assign tasks, and supervise them. I never helped again. Didn't want to lose that stripe. Unless the Marine Corps has changed since my stint, you can expect that also. SF

Zulu 36
03-08-09, 06:00 PM
When I was in and had attained the rank of Cpl, I was given a work detail to supervise. I was bored so I jumped in and helped thinking the men would like me more if I was willing to work to. Well while I was helping the CO happened to stop by. He pulled me aside and asked me what I thought I was doing. When I explained he said to me, if you want to work I will make you a LCpl again. Your job as an NCO is to assingn tasks, and supervise them. I never helped again. Didn't want to lose that stripe. Unless the Marine Corps has changed simce my stint, you can expect that also. SF

For routine work, it's obvious you've been there, done that if you have the rank. For the really dangerous stuff, a little personal example is sometimes necessary. As General Patton said: "It's easier to pull a piece of cooked spaghetti than it is to push it."

Patton always tried to be seen driving toward the front, never seen coming back. He would fly in a small aircraft back to his CP so as not to be seen by his troops doing anything except going forward. That was the reason he blew sirens and emblazoned his staff car with flags, etc, so his troops would see him moving forward toward the danger along with them.

SGT7477
03-09-09, 08:20 AM
First off this is a Marine Site not a friggin Army site, You wanna show Army love do it some wheres else. Second if you wanna be taken serious here fill out your profile. Third, you mention prior service, what were you friggin Coast guard? HooAh sounds like something a fag might say as he's taking a meat torpedo up the azz.:evilgrin:
Hit him again mcvet,lmfao.:D

Pete0331
03-09-09, 08:45 AM
When I was in and had attained the rank of Cpl, I was given a work detail to supervise. I was bored so I jumped in and helped thinking the men would like me more if I was willing to work to. Well while I was helping the CO happened to stop by. He pulled me aside and asked me what I thought I was doing. When I explained, he said to me, if you want to work I'll make you a LCpl again. Your job, as an NCO is to assign tasks, and supervise them. I never helped again. Didn't want to lose that stripe. Unless the Marine Corps has changed since my stint, you can expect that also. SF

Gotta love Marine Corps leadership. ;)

I always hated the "NCO's just watch" dogma in leadership there.
Both can be done.
It builds bad habits in leaders, and resentment among the ranks.

Enough of my rants.
Carry on.

390 Mach I
03-09-09, 09:58 AM
Hooah!!??? WTF????

Isn't that what Al Pacinos character kept saying in "Scent of a Woman"?

;)

61Marine
03-10-09, 05:54 PM
Yes 390, it was.

Let the (movie) Army Lt. Colonel's mistake be an example - Never juggle live hand grenades.

(Insert degrading, smug Army joke here. Like how even in the movies, soldiers aren't very smart - officer or otherwise.)