PDA

View Full Version : What do Active Marines do on the weekend?

Tj3119
03-06-09, 06:22 PM
I plan on going active and just wanted to know what can you do on the weekend. I would like to be somewhere on the west coast. I heard you can only travel and X amount of miles away from the base

If I was stationed at Camp Pendleton or Twentynine Palms, can you travel to LA for the weekend?

Thanks in advance

I used the search, but couldn't find anything

Alisium
03-06-09, 06:33 PM
Well all that depends if you're working or not.

Depending on your MOS some Marines will end up working more on weekends than others. But, almost everyone, at some time or another, will stand duty on the weekends. That usually entails sitting in the barracks "Office" making sure everything is okay. Think hotel receptionist and security guard in one.

For the most part, though, Marines do have the weekends off and if you can get off base (ie have money and a vehicle)... well what would you do on a weekend of? It's not much different.

How many days you have off will dictate how far you can go from base. I used to always go to LA, San Diego or Irvine (Spectrum) on regular weekends. 72 hour and 96 hour liberty allow for further distance.

Also some bases do have quite a few things to do right on base. Pendleton has a free theater, there are bowling lanes, shopping, video rental, horseback riding. You could go mountain biking on some of the trails, rent a full house trailer for you and your lady on San Onofre beach. There are USO and MCCS programs and tours to sign up for. Most are free or very cheap.

Bottom line, if you have time off there is a crap-pot load of things you can do.

Tj3119
03-06-09, 06:39 PM
Alright cool thanks for giving me some info on it