PDA

View Full Version : What rank would I be in I had an Associates Degree in Criminal Justice

Tj3119
03-06-09, 02:24 PM
Don't know if matters what my degree is. Just wanted to be as specific as possible, also I plan on going Active Duty not Reservist, also I hope I can get and Infantry MOS.. 03XX

I looking around and its says that if I join the Marine Corps with an Associates Degree that I would start off as an PFC... I know that if I didn't have an associates degree i would graduate boot camp as a PFC and then after SOI or ITB then you get promoted to Lance Corporal.... So what i mean to say if I was going into Boot Camp already as a PFC would I get promoted after Boot Camp to Lance Corporal... and then after SOI or ITB I would be promoted again to Corporal...

Sorry if I off...I don't know, that's why I'm asking

and thanks for helping in advance

TypeOrange
03-06-09, 02:32 PM
Don't know if matters what my degree is. Just wanted to be as specific as possible, also I plan on going Active Duty not Reservist, also I hope I can get and Infantry MOS.. 03XX

I looking around and its says that if I join the Marine Corps with an Associates Degree that I would start off as an PFC... I know that if I didn't have an associates degree i would graduate boot camp as a PFC and then after SOI or ITB then you get promoted to Lance Corporal.... So what i mean to say if I was going into Boot Camp already as a PFC would I get promoted after Boot Camp to Lance Corporal... and then after SOI or ITB I would be promoted again to Corporal...

With your college degree/credits you can enter boot as a contract PFC. If you get company honorman in boot, which is the best of the best of the company pretty much, you have a chance of being promoted to Lance Corporal. As for going to ITB as a PFC, you could get promoted to Lance but you most likely have to get it meritoriously.

And Cpl out of itb, not gonna happen. You need to meet a cutting score and have your MCI's done. Stuff you cant really do till you get to the fleet.

NoRemorse
03-06-09, 02:35 PM

I looking around and its says that if I join the Marine Corps with an Associates Degree that I would start off as an PFC... I know that if I didn't have an associates degree i would graduate boot camp as a PFC and then after SOI or ITB then you get promoted to Lance Corporal.... So what i mean to say if I was going into boot already as a PFC would and then would I get promoted when I graduate Boot to Lance Corporal... so then after SOI or ITB I would be promoted again to Corporal...

Ask a recruiter to clear up all that bad scoop for ya. Your associates would meet the requirements for PFC if you already have a High School Diploma. If you don't then it would meet the college credit requirements for having a GED. While it looks good on your record, the classes you take while on Active Duty would count for more towards your cutting score once you're being evaluated for the NCO ranks.

If you get Company high Honorman then you might rate LCPL if it is so decided that you merit such a promotion (I don't believe it's an automatic promotion. You wouldn't get PFC out of boot automatically either if you didn't have an associate's. You'd have to earn a meritorious promotion or wait for your 6 months TIG for your single stripe). Anyways, the above is of course dependent upon being a PFC already. All of this is dependent on getting PFC in your contract anyway.

Movement up into the NCO ranks is dependent upon the particular MOS field you're in. Your Associate's isn't going to buy you another rank. You're also assuming you're going to get meritorious on everything.

That's good and all but your primary concern should be earning the title first. It's good to have a plan and be focused but remember that the needs of the Corps ranks up there among the prerequisites to move up in rank.

Tj3119
03-06-09, 02:39 PM
Ok thanks for helping me out

I have a High school diploma, I'm in Community College now working on my degree.

again thanks..

NoRemorse
03-06-09, 02:46 PM
Ok thanks for helping me out

I have a High school diploma, I'm in Community College now working on my degree.

again thanks..

You could also consider finishing your associate's in Community College and transferring to a four year, getting a bachelor's and going for OCS.

sscjoe
03-06-09, 02:52 PM
With your college degree/credits you can enter boot as a contract PFC. If you get company honorman in boot, which is the best of the best of the company pretty much, you have a chance of being promoted to Lance Corporal. As for going to ITB as a PFC, you could get promoted to Lance but you most likely have to get it meritoriously.

And Cpl out of itb, not gonna happen. You need to meet a cutting score and have your MCI's done. Stuff you cant really do till you get to the fleet.

Me thinks I got screwed. I had an A.A.S. in CJ when I enlisted and didn't get squat!! Does anybody know if this is something new that wasn't around in 75?

rvillac2
03-07-09, 06:16 AM
Me thinks I got screwed. I had an A.A.S. in CJ when I enlisted and didn't get squat!! Does anybody know if this is something new that wasn't around in 75?
No, that promotion wasn't available in 1775.:banana:

Covey_Rider
03-07-09, 09:08 AM
No, that promotion wasn't available in 1775.:banana:

OOOOoohhhhhhhh.....haha

SGT7477
03-07-09, 09:15 AM

Never move up that fast in the Marine Corps as far as rank goes you have to earn it just like the title.:flag:

Old Marine
03-07-09, 09:47 AM
During the Viet War I took a dink through Boot Camp and upon graduation he was promoted to GySgt. Seems he was instrumental in helping to build/design a big radar tower in Viet and they needed him to fun things over there.

sparkie
03-07-09, 09:52 AM
Gunny outta boot? Shet, I shoulda signed up for the Commandant's MOS.
By the way, Old Marine, I know you don't live in Nevada, Nevada,,,,so where are you?