PDA

View Full Version : Best time to talk to a recruiter?

Tj3119
03-05-09, 09:46 PM
I plan on joining the Marines soon, I'm in community college right now and I'm working on getting my Criminal Justice degree.. My question is when is the best time to talk to a recruiter... I know I can go talk to them now, but I want a infantry MOS (and I hear they are always filled and people just take what they can get because they cant wait for it to open) I don't want to get stuck with something I don't want.... I heard something around like October 1st is the best time to go and talk to a Marine recruiter because all the MOS slots are open... So any help would be nice....

Also if I sign a contract with an 0311 as my MOS... it can't be taken away right? Like there are no loop holes? (I'm guessing there are)... I just I want to make sure I get what I signed up

I'm justice trying to get my homework done so I don't get screwed over

also I'm just getting my Associates degree in Criminal Justices not my BA (at least not yet)

PaidinBlood
03-05-09, 09:52 PM
I plan on joining the Marines soon, I'm in community college right now and I'm working on getting my Criminal Justice degree.. My question is when is the best time to talk to a recruiter... I know I can go talk to them now, but I want a infantry MOS (and I hear they are always filled and people just take what they can get because they cant wait for it to open) I don't want to get stuck with something I don't want.... I heard something around like October 1st is the best time to go and talk to a Marine recruiter because all the MOS slots are open... So any help would be nice....

Also if I sign a contract with an 0311 as my MOS... it can't be taken away right? Like there are no loop holes? (I'm guessing there are)... I just I want to make sure I get what I signed up

I'm justice trying to get my homework done so I don't get screwed over

also I'm just getting my Associates degree in Criminal Justices not my BA (at least not yet)

You'll only get 0311 in your contract if you go reserves. Can't hurt to talk to one now and get all your sh!t straight. just make sure you disclose up front that you do not want to waste too much of his/her time just yet and would not be interested until signing later... Good luck

immaproshooter
03-05-09, 10:07 PM
wrong, you can specify other 03xx fields as a reservist its just that at ITB if your instructor decides to drop you from that then u go to 0311. and go talk to them now let them know what you want and have them keep an eye open for when a slot opens up

Tj3119
03-05-09, 10:09 PM
I'm not trying to go reservist, I plan I going active just to let you guys know and thanks for helping

PaidinBlood
03-05-09, 10:09 PM
You'll only get 0311 in your contract if you go reserves. Can't hurt to talk to one now and get all your sh!t straight. just make sure you disclose up front that you do not want to waste too much of his/her time just yet and would not be interested until signing later... Good luck

How is what I said wrong? I didn't mean reservists can ONLY be 11s. I meant only a reservist can be guaranteed 0311. Honestly, it is the easiest one to get :D so he won't have to worry about it either way. SF :flag:

immaproshooter
03-05-09, 10:15 PM
lol well then my bad..... and i assumed reservist cause of college alot of kids wanna stay in college and all...which is good education is a good thing....but ya tell the recruiter you only want the 03XX field, and you will wait for it if thats what you want, dont settle

Tj3119
03-05-09, 10:29 PM
lol its ok... and again thanks for helping