PDA

View Full Version : Might be a dumb question but...

390 Mach I
03-05-09, 04:48 PM
I would like to know if there is a way for me to verify exactly what ribbons and medals I am authorized for.
I know that a unit I was in (not too mention my persnoal ones) got some for an action ("Operation Just Cause") I was involvd with but I got out of the Corps about a month after we got back stateside.
I "heard" about what was awarded but I would like to be able to make sure I am not perpetrating a fraud with my uniform ribbons that are mothballed.
I still have my French fourragère on my Alphas as the last unit I was attached to was 3/6.
Also am I allowed to add a hash mark for completing 4 years even though I got out?

giveen
03-05-09, 04:51 PM
Well I was going to say check MOL, but then I saw your service record in your profile. lol

Artemis
03-05-09, 05:03 PM
I would say that you best bet is to pull out a copy of your DD 214 it will have all of your awards listed on there. As for the service stripe if you completed 4 years of servie then you are authorized to put it on your uniform.

390 Mach I
03-05-09, 05:14 PM
The problem is that all of my copies of my DD214 were what I got when I was processed out of the Corps. The awards were issued after that time. <br />
I got my Certificate of Honorable Discharge mailed to...

giveen
03-05-09, 05:16 PM
You probably could, call the local VA office.

TazMatt
03-05-09, 06:04 PM
Ask for a DD215 which is an upgrade version of your service record and it should have everything on it.

Artemis
03-05-09, 06:17 PM
The DD215 is only issued if you need to make a correction to your DD 214 and you have to be able to prove that you have said award or what have you. You can attempt to find the MAR ADMINS announcing the awards but I am honestly at a loss as how to help you on that one. You can take a stab in the dark and contact someone at MOBCOM but I don't know that they would really be able to help you out with that.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-12-09, 07:13 AM
If you check out the stickys at the top of this section, you'll find the information you need to figure out which awards your unit(s) got during the time frame you were with them. You can then file for a correction of your DD-214, and HQMC will issue you a DD-215 with your updated awards on it. It won't, however, have the 'rope' on it, since that's a local unit "honor" that you take off when you leave that unit. (Which I'd still wear since that was your last unit).

KawiGunny
03-12-09, 07:50 AM
If I recall correctly, we got the Armed Forces Expiditionary Medal and Sea Service. If your name was on the list for the Combat Action then you would rate that as well. I was in Wpns Co., Heavy Machinegun Platoon, supporting your company down there in '89 - '90.

groundhog 2
03-23-09, 02:48 PM
I looked up HQMC and it has "ALOT" of agencies. Which agency do I contact to find out what ribbons/medals I would be qualified to wear. I'm like 390 MACH I, I don't want to be a poser either.

DIBLO7
03-23-09, 06:04 PM
Look up NAVMC 2922 it is the unit awards manual. If you look up your unit, it "should" have all the awards that unit rates and the time period they got them in.

http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/NAVMC%202922%204%20APR%2008.pdf