PDA

View Full Version : Security Force/Infantry question...

Lupo22
03-05-09, 02:35 PM
My recruiter called me today and told me that I can't get my 0300 contract for the date I was supposed to ship, but I can get a MSF PRP contract that is in the 0300 field. It all sounds kind of confusing.

He told me that I will have to get TS clearance (which I don't think I can because of my credit). He also told me that if I can't get the clearance, than I will be assigned to a normal 0300 job.

I read up on MSF a little bit and it really doesn't sound that appealing to me. Some say its great, some say its a glorified security guard. I'm also seeing some guys post about being an 0300 MSF.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't think this MSF is for me as of now though

Alisium
03-05-09, 02:39 PM
Well, it's not bad duty. You could go just about anywhere there is a Marine or Naval installation. You are just glorified duty NCO and it's pretty easy. You also get some cool training not available to FMF 03's.

However, you only do it for your first two years and when you get to the Fleet you're a Cpl with about as much knowledge as a PFC. At least as far as I have experienced with SF types coming to 1/4.

You may have to guard sub's with nukes so that's why the security clearance.

KawiGunny
03-05-09, 02:39 PM
I never heard of MSF requiring a TS.

MSF has changed a lot since I was on it many moons ago. I am sure my info is too old. Someone will come along and answer up.

Pete0331
03-05-09, 02:45 PM
My recruiter called me today and told me that I can't get my 0300 contract for the date I was supposed to ship, but I can get a MSF PRP contract that is in the 0300 field. It all sounds kind of confusing.

He told me that I will have to get TS clearance (which I don't think I can because of my credit). He also told me that if I can't get the clearance, than I will be assigned to a normal 0300 job.

I read up on MSF a little bit and it really doesn't sound that appealing to me. Some say its great, some say its a glorified security guard. I'm also seeing some guys post about being an 0300 MSF.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't think this MSF is for me as of now though

It depends on what you want out of your experience with the Marine Corps.

I live buy a station with MSF.
Everyone I've talked to wishes they went the normal infantry route.

Rocky C
03-05-09, 02:50 PM
I never heard of MSF requiring a TS.

MSF has changed a lot since I was on it many moons ago. I am sure my info is too old. Someone will come along and answer up.

I second that. I would like someone to step up to answer that so I can also have that knowledge. I held a TS Clearance but don't know about that one.

Rocky

spotts
03-05-09, 02:58 PM
Most of us that went SF and then to the grunts knew more about being an 03xx then the guys in the fleet. It depends where you get stationed with Security Forces. Some companies are hard corps when it somes to your 03xx training and others arent. It really depends on your officers and SNCO's. It also depends on what knowledge you aquire on your own.

Lupo22
03-05-09, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the help so far! So what I'm getting from ya'll is that I will do the glorified security guard duty for the first two years, and then I will join the FMF grunts and actually get to be a grunt??

Also, in 2 years you come out a Cpl? Do you get promoted fast as a MSF?

spotts
03-05-09, 03:35 PM
Security Forces is alot more then glorified security guard duty. Do a search on the site and their and numerous posts dealing with this subject.

Promotions depend on how motivated you are (MCI's, perfect pft, expert rifle and pistol qual, excellent pros and cons all add up).

Alisium
03-05-09, 03:35 PM
You don't get promoted in "MSF" you get promoted as an 03-whatever. It's not terribly hard to make Corporal within your first two years. Just keep up with your MCI's, PFT, rifle and Proficiency and Conduct marks.

Lupo22
03-05-09, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys. Can anyone answer my question about whether or not I'd do MSF for 2 years and than regular infantry for 2 years or if its 4 (well 5 years i believe) of MSF?

I also heard that its 5 years as an MSF because you are required to do at least two deployments. Is that true as well?

Lupo22
03-05-09, 05:29 PM
i did a little more digging on the search and found some answers...still don't know if I can skip the MSF part and go straight to the Fleet though...The MSF doesn't really interest me much. Any chance at scoring like a 295 pt and rifle expert and maybe requesting to bypass my MSF duty?

If not, I'll make the best of it and get some college done while I'm MSF. I heard its a pretty straight forward job with set hours.

SSgt M 0369
03-05-09, 06:18 PM
I did security forces a while back, I worked in NSB kingsbay, all we needed was a secret clearance. Its a good choice. You go to School of infantry and then go you go the to security forces school in VA. Pretty good training. Depends where your stationed you do 1 or two years then go to the grunts.

Lupo22
03-05-09, 06:32 PM
Thank you sir. I might have a wrong idea about what security means. What do security patrols consist of? I mean, I'm not just standing by some door for hours and hours on end right?

SSgt M 0369
03-05-09, 06:50 PM
It depends where you go. While in Security Forces school you'll be given a assignment to a security forces duty station. You can go to Bangor WA, kingsbay GA, theres a couple more over seas. Or you can chose to go
Fleet Antiterrorism Security Team (FAST Co). Google some info on these security force units. FAST CO. it's a high speed infantry Bn. I have alot of friends that went FAST Co. and they loved it. Google it.

cplchaosusmc12
03-09-09, 11:30 AM
Ssgt M.
When were you at the Bay? I PCS on friday headed for 2/2.
To the original poster, Security Forces isn't too bad. It is all what you make of it, much like anything else. You will pick up pretty quick due to the 100 bonus points that go toward your cutting score. They are also trying to get special duty pay going as well. If you do go to SF try to get in with CQB/RTT or one of the FAST companies.

Quinbo
03-09-09, 11:51 AM
If you are talking about barracks duty I'll say straight up it sucks. 6 on post 6 on react for 3 days then one day of training and one day of liberty. During your 6 on 6 off you pt during your 6 react and there are react drills so forget about sleeping showering or anything else. This isn't a short term adventure either ... we're talking two years doing it.

Lupo22
03-09-09, 08:34 PM
that sounds brutal...6 on post...what are the hours? Forget about sleeping, showering or anything else?? hmmm...im not liking this so much. its one thing if can't shower as 0311 because im in the field, but not sleepin or showering because im standing watch over some barracks? I guess thats where the whole "they'll make you do things you don't understand, just do it!" thing my buddy told me comes from.

Quinbo
03-09-09, 08:41 PM
I didn't describe it very well ... Your 6 off you are a reactionary force and the call might come and you better be ready. Barracks duty is not MSG duty it is guarding something of unknown quantitiy. Don't know if the new handle is same same but the duty probably is.

Assaultdog0351
03-09-09, 11:30 PM
if you try to go in security forces youll end up with a 5 year contract, the standard is 4 but there all kinda of weird recruiting going on right now. alot of my buddies came from security forces to the fleet and realized all they did for the first 3 years in the Marines was stand firewatch, others would rather go back to the set scheduals they got used to. in the fleet we dont have that.... at least i never have. so your best bet is to just keep looking for peoples opinions who have experienced 1st hand. for instance i am extending my contract to stay with 2/8 for this upcoming deployment, this battalion is home to me, i love the everyday "bs"

cplchaosusmc12
03-10-09, 08:20 AM
I have enjoyed the time that I have been at Kings Bay. There are alot of opportunities for training, as well as school. For instance being at a PRP command you have the chance/opportunity to get on board with RTT (Recapture Tactics Team), or might go to ISLC (Infantry Squad Leaders Course). The schedule isn't as tough as one might think. You have a decent amount of Liberty. I would highly recommend getting involved in college if you do go to a PRP command.

Lupo22
03-11-09, 03:52 PM
well thats one of the reasons my recruiter recommended MSF...he told me if I wanted to get any college done, than those will be my 2 or 3 years to do it and that once I join the Fleet, I won't have hardly any time at all for college.

Any elaborations on that?

Pete0331
03-11-09, 11:03 PM
well thats one of the reasons my recruiter recommended MSF...he told me if I wanted to get any college done, than those will be my 2 or 3 years to do it and that once I join the Fleet, I won't have hardly any time at all for college.

Any elaborations on that?

If you want to go to college, go to college.

Assaultdog0351
03-12-09, 06:28 PM
once your in the fleet dont plan on taking college classes, if you have time for that stuff your NCOs are failing. also if you have college under the belt you should be an officer, its worth it if you plan making the corps a career

Lupo22
03-12-09, 09:22 PM
You guys don't think I'd have enough time to take online courses or something during my time in MSF? I thought that was more of a 9-5 type job whereas being in the fleet as a grunt is more screwed up a schedule.

i'm 25 so going to college had come and gone for me for the most part. I was hoping to at least finish up my bachelors in the marines and then maybe use my GI bill for a masters or something afterwards

odc25
03-22-09, 06:38 PM
Security Forces is a good duty you will most likely have a 5 year contract and it may seem long but it flies by but dont expect to come out a cpl. After completing 2 years at a prp command or fast company you will be kicked to the fleet in which you will be doing something in the 03 field most likely 0311, oh and by the way PRP only requires a secret with a ts possibly meaning as long as you can get secret your fine, which might i add is good for 10 years after leaving security forces.if you have any questions on security forces at all let me know. you get lots of good training and a good clearance out of it which can help you if you do end up getting out of the marines and security also opens up good jobs with the dept of energy once you do get out.