PDA

View Full Version : ADHD Medication/Lying at MEPS

redsox1804
03-05-09, 12:29 AM
Thank you to everyone who has answered all of my questions and provided me with insight. I have decided to enlist and hope to one day soon share the title of Marine with you.:flag:

I have been on a form of Adderall for a little over a month now. I graduated high school last spring, and spent my time since then taking a course at a community college and working full time. I was considering testing out ADD medication to help me in college, and my pediatrician decided that it would be wise to start now, so I could have a regiment set up by next fall. I received several full scholarships to colleges which I have decided to turn down, based on my work in high school, during which time I was never on ADHD medication, and scored well on the SAT without any aids or medication. My recruiter told me that based on this, it would be in my best interest to omit any mention of ever having been on the medication when I go to MEPS. I am not at all at ease with committing a felony, and would like to be as honest as possible. Could I likely get a waiver based on the fact that I am obviously mentally competent without medication, and have only been on medication for a month? Should I lie to MEPS? What are the chances that they would find out, considering that the prescribing doctor is actually my primary care physician? Thanks as always.

-Mark

Alisium
03-05-09, 12:38 AM
That's a tough call.

I know the FBI does a background check on you but, I'm not sure how exstensive. I'm not inclined to think they'll look at your medical records. But, double check that.

I don't know that ADHD would be a disqualifier for the military either, as a significant portion of today's youth have been "diagnosed" with ADHD. 10 years ago, no one had ADHD and now suddenly everyone seems to. Who knows what the Marine Corps thinks?

I can fully understand your unease with "lying". Once you start you had better stay consistent and sit on your hands during the "moment of truth".

If you don't want to go down that route (and it's best not to), do some research beyond your recruiter. They're great Marines but they don't always have all the answers and I have known a couple to pass on BS. Call an RS officer and go from there.

It's your dream to mess up, don't leave it in the hands of others.

redsox1804
03-05-09, 12:47 AM
Thank you Corporal. I believe a waiver is required if you were on medication, but I'm just sort of curious as to how likely I am to get it waived and if I'll be forced to wait the year while off of medication or not. I think I will be honest at MEPS, and try to be as tactful as possible when I let my recruiter know this. (He is a great person, and I'm sure he is a great Marine too, I just don't want to start off my military career with a lie).

immaproshooter
03-05-09, 09:28 AM
ive heard two different stories time and time again, ive known buddies that couldnt get in because they had to take the stuff and was told they had to go a year off the stuff before entering, and yet there was a few guys in my platoon when i was at boot that stopped taking it when they shipped and they did fine without takin the stuff cause ur ass is kept in check the entire time

redsox1804
03-05-09, 10:52 PM
Ok, I attended a Pool-ee workout session today (I'm not a Pool-ee yet but I was invited) and spoke with my recruiter again about the medication. I was told that MEPS will not have access to my...

Wyoming
03-05-09, 11:02 PM
OK there Mark Francis of Keller Texas, now that your little escapade is out for the World to see, what say you now??

redsox1804
03-05-09, 11:12 PM
Lol, well I suppose its just as damning for my recruiter... in fact at this point, its really [I]only[I] damning for my recruiter seeing as I have yet to lie or fail to disclose anything. But he is a great guy like I said, and I suppose I'll take my chances with getting a waiver because I'd rather not have all of this crap on my mind... I just wonder if he'll be ****ed at me for not keeping my mouth shut and if he'll even send me to MEPS. Suppose I'll find out.

Alisium
03-05-09, 11:23 PM
****ed or not he has to do his job. You're doing the right thin in my opinion and should be proud of that.

And I doubt he'd really be ****ed anyways. Maybe a little aggravated with some extra work but, at the end of the day you're showing integrity. He'll appreciate that.

rvillac2
03-07-09, 06:10 AM
Our advice is consistently not to lie at MEPS. One of the worst things in the world is getting a fraudulent enlistment discharge after making it through 2 months of boot.

redsox1804
03-10-09, 05:54 PM
Update if anyone cares: Went to recruiter today and told him that I'd like to see if I can get a waiver. Because I was only on the treatment for about a month and a half, after I graduated from high school, and my practice ASVAB was 89 without med's, he is going to try to obtain a waiver even though I have not been off meds for a year. I've contacted my physician and upon review of my medical documents regarding the ADD treatment, the MEPS will let me know yea or nay. Can't wait to hear back!