PDA

View Full Version : The Naysayers

redsox1804
03-04-09, 11:09 PM
What of all of these people who say they know someone or someone they know knew someone who got screwed out of all the Veterans benefits (GI Bill, ect) that they were promised? It seems like everyone knows someone who never saw any GI Bill money or only got a little due to small clauses that they were never shown. I've done a good deal of research and understand the Montgomery GI bill and the Post 9/11 GI bill as well as the Hazlewwod act (cover's in-state tuition for Texas residents) and understand the technical requirements as they are explained on the website, but I am admittedly a bit afraid because I am told by my dad and several friends who claim to know all of these people who "got screwed over". My response is that I have educated myself to the best of my abilities on the qualifications for the various benefits, but I would appreciate if any Marines on this board have any insight on the V.A. benefits and whether they encountered large amounts of resistance collecting their benefits or know of any people who have. As always, thank you for taking the time.

- Mark

Alisium
03-04-09, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Perhaps it's the VEAP, that your father and friends were talking about. I was FAP'ed out to the education office and did notice that if there were problems with benefits, it usually was those guys. I think it only ran from 77 to 85.

I've never met anyone or heard of anyone who's been screwed out of educational benefits. I'm chapter 30, and you saw in your leave and earnings statement your payments being taken out. Not sure how the new program works but, I'd bet it's similar.

Worse comes to worse, you have four years to get things squared away. You are ultimately responsible for making sure everything is good to go and the Marine Corps has plenty of people and tools to help you.