PDA

View Full Version : Career Thoughts

bmcccarthy
03-04-09, 01:15 PM
ALL of this is contingent upon SO friggin much, but I figured I would just ask the question anyway.

I had thought about going the officer route because of where I was(college) and having this need to serve the country. I am halfway to a bachelors degree but I didn't feel like I would be ready to lead anyone after college. I am leaving for boot camp on the 23rd. I hoped by enlisting and serving a contract and learning what it is to be a leader from the ground up, I would feel confident in my abilities to maybe, possibly one day be an officer. In my head at first I assumed I would serve my active duty(5 years) then have the down time to finish my degree. But I hear about Marines taking classes while on active duty. So my question I suppose boils down to this, would it actually be possible to finish my degree during my 5 year active duty? And I guess finishing is a relative term because nobody on this site could know if I could finish 65 more credits, so more to the point, can I work towards finishing my degree while on active duty??(i guess would be a better way of putting it)

Thanks for any help/answers

giveen
03-04-09, 01:23 PM
Its completely possible to finish your degree while enlisted. You just have to work at it.
In fact the Marine Corps has a tuition assistance program while active duty.

By the time your 5 years are up you will probably be a Cpl or Sgt, depending on MOS, and you can apply for MECEP