PDA

View Full Version : Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Hog Wild
03-04-09, 12:30 PM
I'm finishing up my masters degree in public administration, and I am currently writing my masters thesis on the military's Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy (it's not an opinionated paper or anything, it's just a policy analysis where I just have to give statistics and a history on the policy) and I figured I could get a take from the military on how the policy works and what is good or bad about it, as well as any personal thoughts or anything. I'm not using this site solely for academic help, because I'm enlisting soon after I graduate, but it just occurred to me that getting some military opinions on the policy would help me navigate my paper a little. Thanks to any of you who respond.

giveen
03-04-09, 12:37 PM
Homosexuality has been increasingly over the past several years becoming a more acceptable thing.

I think a simple modification to the policy would keep unit cohesion and unity in the military without sacrificing some good members of the military.

Gay military members should remain silent, but if they do go public, they should not be punished.

Do anything that singles you out as different in the military is not good for anyone.

candi
03-04-09, 03:28 PM
It is a way out of the military too for some people....Kind of like suddenly becoming a conscientious objector...

Alisium
03-04-09, 03:41 PM
If a homosexual want's to join the military than, in my book, he's more of an American than any "player" on the streets who only cares about looking pretty. And it's not like 90% of the female in the Navy aren't already bisexual.

The only place I would limit homosexual's is the infantry and for the same reasons I wouldn't want women in the grunts. Relationship problems. We're already stressed and usually at each-other's throats, no reason to split a platoon over relationship drama.

Integrity57
03-04-09, 04:40 PM
That's a very interesting issue when you think about it, because homosexuality has been around for centuries, and with the exception of the Air Force, three of our branches of military service have been around for 230+ years. How many gay individuals do you think have served our nation with distinction without ever having admitted that they were gay? How many war heros do you think may have been gay?

Having met homosexual and bisexual service members, it's pretty clear to me that their orientation has no effect on their ability to get the job done. It only seems to effect some people's personal opinions of that particular person, which could effect unit cohesion if the effected person chooses to act in an unprofessional manner because of it.

But sorry Alisium, 90% is a little too high an estimate for bisexual women in the Navy. Why would you assume that about only female Sailors? What about female Marines, Airmen, and Soldiers?

giveen
03-04-09, 04:47 PM
Its a just a joke, Integrity57.
Just like when I say all Army soldiers are lazy bums.

mcvet57103
03-04-09, 10:05 PM
I won't ask if you're a Turd Burglar as long as you stay away from my azz, and don't act like a Rear-end Rambo when you're around me. Hows that for don't ask don't tell??

Alisium
03-04-09, 10:50 PM
That's a very interesting issue when you think about it, because homosexuality has been around for centuries, and with the exception of the Air Force, three of our branches of military service have been around for 230+ years. How many gay individuals do you think have served our nation with distinction without ever having admitted that they were gay? How many war heros do you think may have been gay?

Having met homosexual and bisexual service members, it's pretty clear to me that their orientation has no effect on their ability to get the job done. It only seems to effect some people's personal opinions of that particular person, which could effect unit cohesion if the effected person chooses to act in an unprofessional manner because of it.

But sorry Alisium, 90% is a little too high an estimate for bisexual women in the Navy. Why would you assume that about only female Sailors? What about female Marines, Airmen, and Soldiers?

I met maybe 10 soldiers and airmen in my entire life. And I think one was a female. That's not a very good sample size for me to form an opinion.

I avoid WM's for the most part.

I've spent plenty of time around female sailors on deployments (including my wife). Everyone I talked to was either gay or bisexual (mostly bisexual). And there were no attempts to hide it, some even going so far as to wear their "gay" jewelry and butch haircuts.

Maybe 90% is high but, I don't think it's too high.

Integrity57
03-05-09, 04:18 PM
As long as you think you're right. Good job :thumbup:

Coda
03-05-09, 08:58 PM
No Room for them in the Marines but i think other branches are filled with them anyway so there wont be a change at all.