<br />
The Draft Debate Still Lies Ahead <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
By Ralph Omholt

btrogu
06-27-03, 07:50 AM
Bring the draft back. I work for a school system in New Jersey and I see kids who could really use the milatary not as much as a discipline area,but just to get them on the right track. I would say about 60% of the kids in my school come from single family homes and have no goals set for themselves. I know some people just don't belong, but I feel it is your duty to your country.

ASK NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU. ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR COUNTRY. JFK

richgitz
06-27-03, 06:30 PM
Part of me says, the Draft would help set some of the young
people today in the right direction. And the other part thinks,
what kind of Military would we have. We might be worse off.
But there's a lot of kids out there that need strighten out.
Then there's drugs. What % of the young people are trying
drugs, could they pass a medical to be accepted. Right now I
don't know, which way to think about, another draft.:confused: :marine:

Sgt Sostand
06-27-03, 10:14 PM
They should reinstate draft i think everyone should give at lease 2 or 3 years doing something military or some other form of government i think it would make a difference with our youth

firstsgtmike
06-28-03, 12:33 AM
I anticipate the return of the draft, in one form or another. <br />
<br />
Item #1: <br />
<br />
&quot;Today, loyal and dedicated Reservists and Guardsmen are suffering severe economic distress because of extended...

Barrio_rat
06-28-03, 02:55 AM
Here's a point that may help the military without bringing in a draft.

Personally, I don't think a free society should have a mandatory term in the military - perhaps a "required" two year "service" in some area such as the Peace Corps or other such organization OR in the military within 4 years of graduating high school or college. Just an Idea.

Okay, here's the point I was originally going to make. If they were to pay the people who serve in the military quality wages that would, at least, compare with their civilian counter parts they would probably gain more quality personell as well as be able to raise standards. Around 88 or 89 we had a General come around (about the time of the Safety Muster) and, among other things, informed us that from E-1 to O-10, the military needed/deserved a 30% pay raise to equal that of the civilian work force. When I was at my 5th year in I knew a SSgt with 14 years in who had decided to get out - because he could do better. Enjoying the Corps is one thing - taking care of yourself and your family is another. If these people were paid what they were worth - give bonuses to those who excell and, when possible, a choice of duty station that actually happens (provided that quotas are filled and with the understanding that "what is best for the Corps" comes first) there would be a much better military with many qualified applicants wanting in and staying in.

Just my thoughts.

Of course, the draft would cost less (on paper) and would create more government jobs that would pay better than what the military pays....

Semper Fi!

Roberto T. Cast
06-28-03, 03:47 AM
I take a different vanue. The draft should be implemented because maybe some or many of the students in high school will look forward to getting a training and a job for the future and the military will do that. This also could keep a lot of this kids out of the drug business. We have have a lot of kids on welfare especially girls who get pregnant and the father could care less. Long time ago, we used to have Gun Shot Weddings whether it was right or not. Society made us take responsiblity for our actions. Nowaday, have a kid with different girls and let the government take care of them. How can the father take care of the kid, even if he wanted, if not trained and working for meager wages. At least in military service, he or she will get training and if they don't like the military life, they can out and find a suitable job in civilian life. If they decide to joined the military or they are drafted, the lenght of service should be something suitable in order for them to be well trained so the transition to civilian life will be easier. I say no less than four years. Maybe six years. Who knows.

Maybe by requiring boys and girls to register for the service could in instill something call "PATRIOTISM".There should be no dodging the military because of religion , etc, etc. Everybody serve. If someone wants to go to OSC, let them finish their college education and then they have to join. If they are flunking in college, draft their asses into the military.This may sound harsh or tyranistical, but something must be done.

This nation needs to do something for our youth of today in order to bring them around and be more responsible. Too many kids in local jails and federal prisons.

badbob
06-28-03, 10:56 AM
When I enlisted in the Corps in early 1964 there was no draft.

The Vietnam War, or better stated, the poorly managed Vietnam War forced many experienced NICO’s and Officers to reevaluate their career choice. Many left the Corps early, myself included.

The Draft was necessary because of the Troop demand in Vietnam and the reactivation of many dissolved units, but the draft had a negative effect on the Corps.

The draft may very well be necessary for the Army, Navy and Air Force , but the Corps is an entirely different matter..

By nature the Corps is an elite military force, we maintain less than 190,000 personnel out of the 2.5 million total U.S. military.

To be a good marine you have to first want to be a Marine.

During the Vietnam War the first Marine Corps draftees actually chose the Corps once drafted. But by the late 60's the Corps was taking in more draftees than enlistees. This had a very negative effect on those who had enlisted.

My 1st tour in Nam was with an all volunteer group of Marines. I never encountered my 1st Marine draftee until I returned stateside.

My last year in the Corps I encountered many draftees who never wanted to be a Marine and hated the Corps and the government who had placed them there against their will.

By the late 60’s the Vietnam War was fought predominately by draftees, NCO’s had little respect from the lower ranks and moral went to the dumpster.

As a result, the Vietnam War went from being a Military Operation, to a game of survival and the draft played a major role in our ultimate demise in Vietnam.

By 1967 they had shaved 4 weeks off recruit training and began rubber stamping Marines every 8 weeks.

The Corps is all about tradition, motivation, overcoming hardship and the Pride of accomplishment. Being a Marine is a mind set, a physiology and you have to really want it to get it.

It’s just very hard to motivate anyone who did not make the choice. I would hate to see the Corps have to Draft again.

I don’t want to be misunderstood here, I’m not claiming that all Marine Corps draftees of the Vietnam era were not good Marines, a very many were. But there were many with attitudes that could not be altered by tradition and motivation., and they served to weaken not strengthen.

I would not promote the draft in order to save a few kids, however I agree that the draft can save some of the kids who would otherwise slip through the cracks of life.

The draft serves only one purpose, to make our military strong, But it also serves to weaken our military at the very same time.

Semper Fi,
Bob