PDA

View Full Version : Marines perform perfectly in Yucaipa

thedrifter
03-04-09, 07:06 AM
Marines perform perfectly in Yucaipa
Bob Otto, Staff Writer
Posted: 03/03/2009 11:47:24 AM PST

YUCAIPA - The 85 Marines performed intricate maneuvers while playing their drums and bugles. Another 24 Marines flipped and spun their rifles at fixed bayonet high over their heads as they marched in close order drill.

Now, it stands to reason that at least one of the Marines performing might slip up. Perhaps a dropped rifle, a missed step, a missed note.

But no, these Marines were flawless. The Marine Corps Drum & Bugle Corps, the Silent Drill Platoon, and the Marine Corps Color Guard comprise the Marine Corps Battle Color Detachment from Marine Barracks, Washington D.C.

Every year the Battle Color Detachment travels the world performing for thousands of spectators. On Monday, the Battle Color Detachment made a stop at Yucaipa High as part of its Southern California tour. Their precision performance drew generous applause from a packed football stadium of students, staff and special guests.

Julieann Murphy, a senior and 1st lieutenant with the Yucaipa High Air Force Junior ROTC program, found the performance to be inspiring.

"This gives us a lot of incentive to work on our Color Guard," she said. "Watching them shows us how good we need to get."

The unit, which was created in 1934, celebrates its 75th anniversary this year. It plays a selection of contemporary songs and traditional marching music with choreographed drill movements in a program entitled "Music in Motion."

Philip Nelson, 91, of Calimesa, was given a front row seat on the stadium field.In 1966, Nelson's son, Marine Corps Cpl. Gary Nelson, died while fighting in the jungles of Vietnam.

He's never forgotten what his son fought and died for as a Marine.

"The Marine Corps means honor, duty, service to country," Nelson said. "I'm proud of my son and I'm proud of the Marine Corps."

The Marine Corps' stop at Yucaipa High came about when a call was made to the school, said Sgt. Corey Dixon, a recruiter stationed in San Bernardino.

"They were going to Eisenhower High School and we thought it a good idea to perform at another high school locally," Dixon said. "We called and talked to the principal (Sherry Smith) and they were excited and immediately said yes."

The Battle Color Detachment has a busy schedule in Southern California with performances at Marine Corps bases, high schools, and some colleges, said Gunnery Sgt. Michael Fulwood, Public Affairs Chief.

"Our focus is to motivate and inspire our Marines on bases, with our second purpose recruitment," he said.

Assistant Principal Matt Russo had never seen the Battle Color Detachment perform. He came away impressed.

"I loved it," Russo said. "Their precision is so phenomenal."

bob.otto@inlandnewspapers.com

Ellie