PDA

View Full Version : GWOT Medal

crazymjb
03-03-09, 07:45 PM
Good evening all,

I had a question concerning the GWOT Medal. I am confused as to exactly what is necessary to rate it. All I seem to be able to find is that one is eligible after 30 days of continuous or 60 days of non continuous support for the global war on terrorism.

I specifically want to know how this applies to reservists, and if it is at all effected by MOS school. My entire battalion received it upon check in at our unit, and had it put in our MOL accounts. My girlfriend who is also is a reservist (3531) was told by her S1 that she doesn't rate it until on active duty for 30 days not including her MOS school, and in turn it hasnt been put on her MOL, or any of the new Marines in her unit. She is 6th Motors, I am 1/25.

Any more information as to why I rate it and she doesnt, or whether one of our units is wrong would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there is a current executive order or MCO relating to it I would be interested in seeing that (I am having trouble finding them myself).

Thank you very much,

Mike

DIBLO7
03-03-09, 11:35 PM
Which GWOT are you looking for info on the GWOTSM or GWOTEM? The guidance for the service medal is MARADMIN 499/04. Paragraph 6.B. is why your girlfriend doesn't rate it.

If everyone in your battalion is getting it as soon as they check in the admin is all jacked up. The requirements are listed in black and white in the MARADMIN.

HurricaneRJ
03-04-09, 12:37 PM
He is looking for the GWOTSM. I got mine 30 days in the fleet. The GWOTEM, only I seen the senior guys on the MEU have those.

DIBLO7
03-04-09, 03:57 PM
Then MARADMIN 499/04 will answer all his questions.

crazymjb
03-04-09, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to do some more digging as to whats up with ours, or lack thereof, I'll keep you in the loop. Other reserve units are saying pretty much the same thing, need activation for 30 days.

Mike