PDA

View Full Version : A story about enlisting

60Days
03-03-09, 10:52 AM
This is a bit of an introduction, but also a word to anyone who is interested in joining the Marines but is faced with some sort of difficulty in joining.

Some background info. I am prior service active Army. I liked it. Why did I get out? Well... I'm not entirely sure. For one thing I joined at 17 and straight out of high school and by the time my enlistment was up I was feeling antsy to try something "new". I hadnt really seen the world outside of school or the military and I wanted the opportunity to see it. I've saw it and it sucks. In more ways than one. Family is wonderful, I have a steady relationship, and a job that pays the bills. I am not overly stressed by any particular thing, but over time civilian life can take its toll just as much as the military life will.

I missed the military and because I picked the Army before over the Marine Corps because a friend was going Army too, I finally did what I really wanted to do. I had a few obstacles to overcome. First, I am prior service. That required a waiver. I also had a recent minor conviction that placed me on 2 years unsupervised probation. I did not need a morality waiver, however dealing with the unsupervised probation was going to be a big hurdle. Lastly, I have a few tattoos, one which comes up from my back to my neck just enough to require a tattoo waiver.

So last August I walked into the recruiting station and just laid it all out on the table. I was pretty nervous because I was expecting them to just stare at me and say "No.". They were very helpful though, and basically gave me enough encouragement that I left that day, drove 45 minutes and saw a lawyer. It cost money but I looked at it like an investment.

If anyone out there has probation right now and they are doubting their chances to get it "lifted" so they can enlist I will tell you what my lawyer told me (this is not first hand professional advice, so consult someone who actually knows). First, it better be for a damn good reason. Joining the Marine Corps is an excellent reason. BUT if the judge signs off on anything that says Marines and it goes into official record, YOU ARE SCREWED. You WILL be DQ'ed. The way around this is to take responsibility for your actions, and admit, in court, in front of the judge, that you were being a dumbass. By all means tell your lawyer you want to join the Marines, but also tell him the importance of leaving the mentioning of the military out of paperwork. They will come up with something, and word the documents to what you need. Second, you have to have served approx. half your probation before they will consider it. And last, the original offense must not be a weapons offense, domestic battery. If drug related, it must be minor and a first offense.

But if you're willing to do the work and have enough guts to go in front of the judge, he will probably see things your way if you are professional about it. For me, it took 7 months to get to court. It took so long because the court system moves slow, and because I hadn't served enough of my probation to go. That was on my own advice, I wanted to serve more of it out to increase my chances. And yes, I know that people who have committed crimes have gone against the Marine Corps ethos, but mistakes are sometimes made and I assume that there are very good Marines out there who have had troubled past lives.

Anyways, I did see the judge, he sent a court order abolishing my UP, and I was a free man. I went back to the recruiters office and they sent me to MEPs four days later to physical and take my ASVAB. I passed both, made a 96 on my test and went back and filled out all my paperwork for my waivers. They submitted them, and just a little over a week later they were approved... but they also gave my recruiters some news I guess they had overlooked. There is a 90 day waiting period from the day you get off probation to the day you can ship out to Boot Camp. So it sucks for me in a way, because I still have 60 days and some change to ship out, but I'm also fortunate to be this close to joining the Marines. All in all, from the first day I talked to the recruiters to the day I might ship out, we are talking around 10 months.

But my shot at Marine Corps Boot Camp is close to being a reality, so if anyone feels like it's hopeless or they'll never join because of some issue they are scared to talk with their recruiter about... just do it and start working on whatever it is you need to do.

Oh and if anyone has any ideas on how to keep myself from going crazy (I'm so ready to go...) while waiting, feel free.

KawiGunny
03-03-09, 10:59 AM
Great story. Good luck in Bootcamp. And yes, there are plenty of great Marines that have had troubled past.

0231Marine
03-03-09, 12:02 PM
Oh and if anyone has any ideas on how to keep myself from going crazy (I'm so ready to go...) while waiting, feel free.

You can never go wrong with PT! Good luck to you though.

richerich
03-03-09, 12:11 PM
Congrats, good story.

Did you get to keep your rank? And are you stayin in your old MOS, or a new one?

60Days
03-03-09, 12:38 PM
To be honest with you, I have no idea. I left the Army as an E-4, I'm not sure how that will be handled. My recruiter did mention that normally they let you keep rank up to E-3, but I'm not 100%. It hasn't been much of an issue with all of the other things I've had to deal with. Just getting in would be satisfactory for me.

As for my job, I was 11B. And I'm praying there's an 03XX option available when May rolls around. I would like a few more years as an infantryman, but if I go more than one enlistment I'm pretty confident I'll switch MOS. Who knows how long my knees have before they poop out. Might as well switch when im still at the top of my game hah.

immaproshooter
03-03-09, 03:57 PM
congrats, very moving story, jsut stay strong and keep your head in the game is all i could recommend, and i obviously dont know much bout the army, but you are now experiencing the hurry up n wait game.....get use to it. it will always be that way

SGT7477
03-03-09, 05:31 PM
Best of Luck to you, if you become one of us you will never regret it.

RyanO
03-03-09, 07:43 PM
Great story! Thanks for the motivation. I'm old (29) and overweight, but I'm working my arse off to make my dream come true..Thanks again and best of luck to you!

:usmc:Ryan:usmc::flag:

60Days
03-03-09, 10:43 PM
Thank you all for the encouragement. Ryan0 I read your other post and I can tell you that if you ever come to a dead end with the Marines, or they don't accept you because of your age, the Army would take you. I know the feeling of wanting to be in the Marine Corps like you, and I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors to get in. And it ain't much of a consolation prize ;) but the Army is an excellent branch of service and they take guys your age no questions asked. From personal experience I can tell you that in my basic training platoon we had almost a dozen soldiers 25+. Some were even in their mid 30s. And this was at ft benning where they dont mess around with basic training. I think the max age is 42 now. I'm sure you've probably already thought of the options and decided the Corps was the best fit for you, but just throwing it out there... in case your worst case scenario happens and they deny your age waiver but the calling of national defense is still in your blood.

immaproshooter
03-03-09, 11:14 PM
lol....worst case scenario is joining the army...

BillyMcg5
03-05-09, 06:48 PM
I'm in a very similar situation as you were. I'm on acod (it's like a lesser offense probation, but in NY) and I have another 6 months left. In your experience, do you think it's worth it to get a lawyer and try to go through court, or should I just wait it out because the court process might go slow.

I'm really interested in getting into DEP and I'm as prepared as I can get for recruit training. I'm just really worried that I'll blow a bunch of money on a lawyer and then only save a couple of weeks time before I can sign the papers.

GySgtRet
03-05-09, 07:54 PM
60 days. I am glad that it will work out for you. You are now mature enough to know what to go for. You will make a fine marine I am sure. Good luck and let us know how things work out for you.

BillyMcg5,

As for you, fill out your profile we will not address anybody that doesn't know how to read or follow the rules for posting and advice. You say you live in NY state, well I recruited in Buffalo and if the rules are the same there is hope for you. Don't get all indignant and disrespectful here. There is a lot of knowledge on this board. If you don't fill in your profile no big deal then. Just don't ask any questions and advice.

Gunny out
:usmc:

60Days
03-05-09, 10:02 PM
Billy, if you are sincere in your intentions it is worth every penny. I don't know NY state law but if ACOD is similar to unsupervised probation or a conditional discharge, I would imagine you stand...

BillyMcg5
03-05-09, 11:36 PM
Sorry about the profile GySgtRet. I just filled it in. I'm pretty sure the rules are the same as in Buffalo. <br />
<br />
60Days, yeah I have talked to the recruiter, I've taken the practice ASVABs, I know...

60Days
03-06-09, 10:07 AM
Let both your lawyer and the judge know that your punishment is preventing you from joining the Marine Corps. Just make sure your lawyer knows that you cannot have anything on record about the military in court documents. More than likely, on the day you go see the judge, he will approach the bench, explain the "real" reason why you want off the punishment early, and maybe present a print out of the rules of enlisting into the Marine Corps. The judge will either give the thumbs up or thumbs down and sign off on a letter that simply states your punishment is deemed served in full. The judge may not even address you. I had a minimal conversation with him. I think all in all the proceeding took 4 minutes.

After I got my lawyer it took months before we went in front of the judge. But like I said, if I hadn't postponed it myself I'm sure he would have taken me ALOT sooner. Days, weeks maybe. It's a simple case, and here they shoved it on a day with traffic court... so it's not like a ton of court preparation is needed. If you pay in advance also... like if you give the lawyer your fee up front as opposed to half then half or whatever... he will work even quicker.

GySgtRet
03-06-09, 10:58 AM
Welcome Aboard William, <br />
<br />
Depending on the charge that got you into this mess will depend on how you approach the district court at Long Island. If this was for example a drinking underage charge...

BillyMcg5
03-06-09, 01:23 PM
Thank you guys so much. Of course I will not lie to any amounts. I've scheduled an appointment on Monday for a lawyer to talk with him and my recruiter gave me a letter explaining the situation in detail and a phone number for the lawyer to contact my recruiter. So I really hope it goes well. Wish me luck!

60Days
03-06-09, 01:41 PM
Awesome. Hey maybe if they work quick enough we'll run into each other at PI. Hah, good luck!

GySgtRet
03-06-09, 01:41 PM
You are going to be just fine now. It will take some time to get this processed. But the wait is worth it.

Good luck

Gunny out
:usmc:

BillyMcg5
03-08-09, 10:46 AM
haha that'd be pretty crazy. when's your ship date?

60Days
03-08-09, 12:19 PM
I'm prior so I am unable to enlist into the DEP, so my ship date isn't set in stone. I will be eligible to leave early May, and my recruiters have promised me they would get me out then or shortly thereafter.

Tolerance
03-08-09, 05:29 PM
I'm prior so I am unable to enlist into the DEP, so my ship date isn't set in stone. I will be eligible to leave early May, and my recruiters have promised me they would get me out then or shortly thereafter.

priors aren't allowed to join the DEP? I was unaware of that.

great story, hopefully everything falls into place in a possitive way!

60Days
03-08-09, 11:20 PM
I dont know if that goes for all prior service but I already spent my allowed time in DEP before I left for the Army. 12 Months max per lifetime I believe.