PDA

View Full Version : Back to Boot Camp

Mena
03-03-09, 09:00 AM
My name is Mena and i was discharged from Parris Island with an RE-3p entry level discharge. I made it to training day 54 and was sent home for having a depressive disorder...Its been 6 months and...

KawiGunny
03-03-09, 09:03 AM
I think you need to fill out your profile.:evilgrin:

Mena
03-03-09, 09:09 AM
lol i just made this account like 2 seconds ago. :P

KawiGunny
03-03-09, 09:37 AM

Then you need to take the time to read the site rules and not be in such a hurry.

Attention to details.

NoRemorse
03-03-09, 09:39 AM
I'm a bit remiss about a TD-54, no matter how gung-ho, tossing a smiley back at a GySGT with a cheeky remark, even if it was made in good humor.

KawiGunny
03-03-09, 10:02 AM
I'm not going to loose any sleep over it. Besides, to be discharged for that problem, it will more than likely happen again. Depression is a terrible thing but once you have identified what it looks...

NoRemorse
03-03-09, 10:15 AM
Stranger things have happened. I'm looking into reenlisting with a heart problem that PEB'd me out of the service. <br />
<br />
Depression is a different animal though as you said. That's a disqualifier for a...

KawiGunny
03-03-09, 10:21 AM
Stranger things have happened. I'm looking into reenlisting with a heart problem that PEB'd me out of the service.

Depression is a different animal though as you said. That's a disqualifier for a lot of careers, especially law enforcement.

Good luck with getting back in. Sometimes I really miss it and wish I could get back in. But then again, being retired for a year now does feel good.

Oh yeah..... Like your qoute in your profile. Pretty much sums things up here to.

Mena
03-04-09, 07:09 AM
?
i honestly don't know what to say to such a response. i was looking for an answer from someone who actually knew what they were talking about. Maybe a recruiter or something. But I'm honestly not gonna sit here and be disrespected, and told that if it happened once that it would happen again. You guys really don't know me, nor did you take the time to really consider my situation.
If you're going to take the small remark that i said to you personally, then I really don't wanna hear your personal thoughts on whether you think I'm depressed or not.
Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.

NoRemorse
03-04-09, 07:17 AM
Wow, awesome. Anyway, if you heard something you didn't want to hear, tough. The GySgt was correct with his summation. A diagnosis of a mental disorder is hard to get past. Also look at the cap of 202k that we're set to hit. The Corps can be far more selective and doesn't have to take you in.

Also... you said you were looking for answers... from someone who knew what they were talking about like a recruiter. You've got a recruiter who sent a packet in for a BUMED waiver for you and instead of asking him you come on here and decide you want to sound stupid.

So you give him all the information regarding the diagnosis, your medical records, what medications you may be on, and your mental and physical health history and you expect us to give you a freaking timeline for a BUMED waiver with what you posted? Get real.

You must have forgotten all the trash you learned on the Island. I know what getting sent home feels like so don't get nasty on here because you caught a bad break. There are guys out there who have dealt with serious sh!t who keep on trucking. Maintain your bearing and speak with your recruiter.

sparkie
03-04-09, 07:18 AM
INCOMING:beer:

NoRemorse
03-04-09, 07:18 AM
INCOMING:beer:

We gotta set 84 up with a plane ticket.

sparkie
03-04-09, 07:20 AM
I know she'll bring the popcorn on this one.

Mena
03-04-09, 07:25 AM
Wow, awesome. Anyway, if you heard something you didn't want to hear, tough. The GySgt was correct with his summation. A diagnosis of a mental disorder is hard to get past. Also look at the cap of 202k that we're set to hit. The Corps can be far more selective and doesn't have to take you in.

Also... you said you were looking for answers... from someone who knew what they were talking about like a recruiter. You've got a recruiter who sent a packet in for a BUMED waiver for you and instead of asking him you come on here and decide you want to sound stupid.

So you give him all the information regarding the diagnosis, your medical records, what medications you may be on, and your mental and physical health history and you expect us to give you a freaking timeline for a BUMED waiver with what you posted? Get real.

You must have forgotten all the trash you learned on the Island. I know what getting sent home feels like so don't get nasty on here because you caught a bad break. There are guys out there who have dealt with serious sh!t who keep on trucking. Maintain your bearing and speak with your recruiter.

My bearing is fine, sir. And I have spoken to my recruiter plenty of times. I just wanted a second opinion. And I'm not on any meds.
I honestly don't care what you think about me nor what you have to say about me. Nor was I asking for a timeline, whatever that is.
This is past the point of professionalism. I'm honestly not gonna waste my time speaking to someone who doesn't know me, and is gonna diss me over some silly remark that I made to a GySgt. Get a sense of humor. Its called having personality and not being a drone.
Thank you for your response.

NoRemorse
03-04-09, 07:34 AM
You asked what your chances were. We told you what a depressive disorder looks like on paper. It's a disqualifier for a lot of jobs in the civilian world. It's usually classified as a chronic or...

Mena
03-04-09, 08:00 AM
i'm not looking for a Peace Corps silly. ;) <br />
I didn't get salty. <br />
But I do appreciate you taking the time to respond to me. <br />
And you don't have to be a Marine to know about professionalism. <br />
I...

0231Marine
03-04-09, 08:05 AM
My bearing is fine...I'm honestly not gonna waste my time speaking to someone who doesn't know me, and is gonna diss me over some silly remark that I made to a GySgt. Get a sense of humor. Its called having personality and not being a drone.

You really didn't learn a damn thing during your 54 days did you? You've got a Gunnery Sgt who's been in the Marine Corps longer than you've been alive giving you his opinion and you want to make witty remarks because you think it's funny. How about you show some respect to those that have actually made it through boot camp and earned the title. I believe you picked the wrong line of work to have the mentality that you currently do.

Regarding the posts from No Remorse, he is also 100% correct. He was simply illustrating the facts for you and you are the one that wants to take it like an affront against your character. Well maybe you should develop some before you think someone is trying to call you out. You come across as VERY immature and I honestly hope that you do make it back to boot camp so the DI's can have another shot at breaking you.

0231Marine
03-04-09, 08:08 AM
i'm not looking for a Peace Corps silly. ;).

Oh, I guess we're just best friends with the PFC now? We don't have to use rank even though you've been to boot camp and know what the f*ck is going on?

I understand I may have stepped out of line, but you did as well. At least I can admit that and I apologize.

He's a Marine and you're not. You don't rate an apology so get over it.

Mena
03-04-09, 08:11 AM
0231Marine.
I'm sorry you think that of me. I understand that he's a GySgt and this that and stuff. I already apologized, if you bothered to read the post right above yours.
I'm hoping to get back in as well.
Maybe I do lack in character; I don't exactly know what type of person you think I am.
But I do know that this thread has gone completely off topic.

NoRemorse
03-04-09, 08:13 AM
Nice apology sandwich there, nothing. Smart comment, apology, finish with a snarky remark. Out-freaking-standing.

You still didn't provide any answers regarding your situation so you don't want an honest answer. Regardless it doesn't look super promising. As you stated, you've got a 50-50 shot, if that. If you don't want your information out here then ask to PM somebody.

KawiGunny
03-04-09, 08:14 AM
?
i honestly don't know what to say to such a response. (1) i was looking for an answer from someone who actually knew what they were talking about. Maybe a recruiter or something. But I'm honestly not gonna sit here and (2) be disrespected, and told that if it happened once that it would happen again. (3) You guys really don't know me, nor did you take the time to really consider my situation.
If you're going to take the small remark that i said to you personally, then I really don't wanna hear your personal thoughts on whether you think I'm depressed or not.
(4) Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.

Mena.... sorry I missed this response yesterday. I actually have a job that requires me to work from time to time.

Now let me reply to the above 4 statements.

(1) Guess me dealing with depression off and on for a few years means I don't know what I am talking about. PTSD has a strange effect on a man/woman. But then again, what do I know. I am just a dumb grunt with over 20 yrs experience of dealing with turds like you.

(2) I didn't disrespect you. And yes depression will come back from time to time and you need to be able to recognise it early and deal with it. I have to do it more than I want and I am a very upbeat type of person. Now you can say I did disrespect you. Because of your ignorance and disrespect to me, I hope you never join any branch of the service. Not even the Army. Go crawl back in the shaded corner and we will treat you like a shroom and feed you sh!t for our entertainment.

(3) Your right, we don't know you. Know your situation...... yes. There are plenty of us here that have gone through the same thing and some of us even go through it frequently.

(4) Don't thank me for responding. Evedently the truth is something you prefer to avoid. Deal with it and get on with your life.

Mena
03-04-09, 08:18 AM
So because I'm not a Marine I don't rate an apology?
I wasn't asking for one.
So Marines are just so high class that I have to be the one to apologize for being in the wrong?
I don't know what the f*ck is going on. If i did i wouldn't be posting this thread.
And no I'm not friends with the PFC.
And you aren't presenting yourself as a CPL probably should. I may not be a marine, but i'm still f*cking human. You're speaking to me as if i'm trash.
I just love how you represent the Marine Corps, an NCO cursing at someone and saying "you don't rate this or that because you aren't a Marine".
Awesome.
Anything else you might wanna add?

0231Marine
03-04-09, 08:20 AM
I think that's a good ending point for this one!

Some advice. Just roger up with, "Aye Gunny" and be on your way.

KawiGunny
03-04-09, 08:20 AM
I wasn't asking for one.
So Marines are just so high class that I have to be the one to apologize for being in the wrong?
I don't know what the f*ck is going on. If i did i wouldn't be posting this thread.
And you aren't presenting yourself as a CPL probably should. I may not be a marine, but i'm still f*cking human. You're speaking to me as if i'm trash.
I just love how you represent the Marine Corps, an NCO cursing at someone and saying "you don't rate this or that because you aren't a Marine".
Awesome.

Obviuosly you cant follow rules. Fill out your profile.

NoRemorse
03-04-09, 08:25 AM
I think that's a good ending point for this one!

Some advice. Just roger up with, "Aye Gunny" and be on your way.

It's amazing how often that advice is right on point.

Maybe a poolee can come in here and tell us how often the CPL's maxim is correct in boot camp.

The correct answer is: always.

Learn from this poolees.

0231Marine
03-04-09, 08:26 AM
I wasn't asking for one.
Awesome.

Are you serious? Did you really go to boot camp? What planet are you from?

Yes, I am completely serious. You do not rate an apology from a Marine who gave his opinion to you. You however, should stand the fvck down before you make an ass of yourself.

Remind me again what you have done for the last 5 years of your life because I spent those years in the Marine Corps and did 4 deployments to Fallujah and Ramadi in that time span. I do not have to sit here and justify my verbage to some P.O.S, can't hack it, nasty civilian like yourself.

You are completely out of hand and you just need to log off of your account and go take some paxil before you start barking up the wrong tree.

Mena
03-04-09, 08:29 AM
This thread has gotten way outta hand, and has gotten way off topic. It seems to me that there honestly isn't anything I can say at this point that would give me an answer to my question. Nor will anything I say change you guys mind on what you think of me. Someone who is immature and should never serve in the military, and someone who should crawl into a shaded corner because apparently i come off as someone who has seeeeeerious problems with depression. yup. this is fantastic.
I'm not posting in this thread anymore, but you guys can feel free to talk all you f*cking want. About how I'll apparently never amount to f*cking anything. About how disgusting I am and how I should just give up on military. Yeah. Just shove the sh*t more down my throat.

Great job representing the Marines. I don't give a sh*t how many deployments you've had.
That doesnt give you the right to speak to me that way.

0231Marine
03-04-09, 08:32 AM
I'm not posting in this thread anymore

The best news I've heard all day!

And you can quit the woe is me b.s. Like Gunny pointed out, your mental anguish is pretty minimal compared to a lot of those who have actually made it though boot camp and seen combat.

Honestly, I believe that if you're getting this upset and discouraged on an internet forum, you just aren't cut out fot the military, let alone the Marine Corps.

NoRemorse
03-04-09, 08:36 AM
Ah, so that's why you were discharged. Say no more. All is clear, everything is explained. My initial thought was not that a good recruit got a raw deal. That's what I get for pushing paperwork for...

KawiGunny
03-04-09, 08:37 AM
This thread has gotten way outta hand, and has gotten way off topic. It seems to me that there honestly isn't anything I can say at this point that would give me an answer to my question. Nor will anything I say change you guys mind on what you think of me. Someone who is immature and should never serve in the military, and someone who should crawl into a shaded corner because apparently i come off as someone who has seeeeeerious problems with depression. yup. this is fantastic.
I'm not posting in this thread anymore, but you guys can feel free to talk all you ****ing want. About how I'll apparently never amount to ****ing anything. About how disgusting I am and how I should just give up on military. Yeah. Just shove the **** more down my throat.

Well maybe now this sh!t will fade off the front page. And by the way, you are the one that started it. Not anyone here. If you are gonna ask for an opinion then be ready for responses that you probably don't want to hear. And no one said you had seeeeeerious problems with depression. Depression is a problem that can be dealt with easily if the person can recognise it coming on. And yes you will have it again. It will only be as bad as you let it. Learn ways to reverse the effects. I did.

Mena
03-04-09, 08:40 AM
okay.

KawiGunny
03-04-09, 08:52 AM
Now you have 1 or 2 options concerning this topic.

1) You can cool your jets and make amends with the Marines here in hopes of getting some advice. You have ticked off some of the people that have given great advice in the past and will continue to give great advice in the future. Keeping in mind that it might not be what you want to hear.

or

2) You can log off this site and never log back on. Remember...... this is a Marine site. Allowing "potential" Marines to join is a privledge. Not a right.

SGT7477
03-04-09, 09:09 AM
Did you forget to start off with your left foot, get it squared away.:evilgrin:

Mena
03-04-09, 10:17 AM
I really am sorry for everything I've said. I do realize that i was in the wrong and I have no right to disrespect you in the way that I did.
I honestly do feel horrible. After I cooled off for a bit, i came back and read everything that way said...it was completely uncalled for. And I apologize.

I don't mean to bring my personal life into this, but I'm living in an unstable environment at my house. I'm not allowed to eat anything, and my mother blames me for the problems she's having with her marriage. I see the military as an escape from this place, and a catalyst to starting my life and being my own woman.

When signed up for the Marines the first time, I had no real reason as to why I was doing it. I just went. And when I got there I realized early on that this is was where I was supposed to be. It felt...right. And then I got a letter from my mother saying that shes having problems with money and such and issues with my stepdad...that was around the time that I started getting depressed and that's why they sent me home.

I came home and I knew that I was determined to go back to Parris Island. I went to go see a psychologist and she cleared me of the Depressive Disorder, and I've been training with my local RSS since i stepped foot off Parris Island. I'm commited to the Marines, its the best thing that ever happened to me. Even if it was just 3 months of recruit training. That's my story.

I really don't want to be on bad terms with any of the Marines on here. I have a handful of friends in the Marines. There's honestly no excuse to the way I behaved and I'm really sorry.

Now you have 1 or 2 options concerning this topic.

1) You can cool your jets and make amends with the Marines here in hopes of getting some advice. You have ticked off some of the people that have given great advice in the past and will continue to give great advice in the future. Keeping in mind that it might not be what you want to hear.

or

2) You can log off this site and never log back on. Remember...... this is a Marine site. Allowing "potential" Marines to join is a privledge. Not a right.

NoRemorse
03-04-09, 10:35 AM
Good luck with the waiver, you'll be under a lot of scrutiny. Like I said before, it's a DQ in the civilian sector and would probably limit your security clearance. Then again, it all depends on the severity of the condition.

Like the gunny said, if you're dealing with this now, you'll probably be dealing with this later.

Mena
03-04-09, 10:52 AM
Good luck with the waiver, you'll be under a lot of scrutiny. Like I said before, it's a DQ in the civilian sector and would probably limit your security clearance. Then again, it all depends on the severity of the condition.

Like the gunny said, if you're dealing with this now, you'll probably be dealing with this later.

yeah...i'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. now that the waiver is submitted everything is out of my hands. nows it just "hurry up and wait" until around the end of this month when i get a response.

i have back up plans just in case they deny my waiver.

KawiGunny
03-04-09, 10:55 AM
OK.... A little info on your part goes a long way with the type of responses you recieve. Sorry about the home life and if you really want to pursue the Marines then go for it. As mentioned, depression (the label) sticks with you. Even if you haven't had any issues for many years. If you ever do feel depression coming on again, find someone to talk to. Stay away from the meds they may want to give you unless it is your last option. I deal with depression from time to time and have never taken a single pill. Once your medical record shows meds for depression..... you are totally screwed. If you make it back to bootcamp, tell your mom that if she doesn't have anything good to say then don't write. You don't need that sh!t while at bootcamp. Stay in contact with the recruiter as often as possible and keep doing any poolie functions they may have. Even if you have to wait longer to get back in...... some things are worth waiting on. Good luck.

0231Marine
03-04-09, 11:06 AM
I really am sorry for everything I've said. I do realize that i was in the wrong and I have no right to disrespect you in the way that I did.
I honestly do feel horrible. After I cooled off for a bit, i came back and read everything that way said...it was completely uncalled for. And I apologize.

I don't mean to bring my personal life into this, but I'm living in an unstable environment at my house. I'm not allowed to eat anything, and my mother blames me for the problems she's having with her marriage. I see the military as an escape from this place, and a catalyst to starting my life and being my own woman.

When signed up for the Marines the first time, I had no real reason as to why I was doing it. I just went. And when I got there I realized early on that this is was where I was supposed to be. It felt...right. And then I got a letter from my mother saying that shes having problems with money and such and issues with my stepdad...that was around the time that I started getting depressed and that's why they sent me home.

I came home and I knew that I was determined to go back to Parris Island. I went to go see a psychologist and she cleared me of the Depressive Disorder, and I've been training with my local RSS since i stepped foot off Parris Island. I'm commited to the Marines, its the best thing that ever happened to me. Even if it was just 3 months of recruit training. That's my story.

I really don't want to be on bad terms with any of the Marines on here. I have a handful of friends in the Marines. There's honestly no excuse to the way I behaved and I'm really sorry.

I can't speak for the other Marines but I hold no grudges and I'm pretty amicable when it comes to this stuff. I really do wish you the best of luck in your future attempt to come back in.

Also, don't let today put you off from frequenting this site. There is a lot of useful information and I would even suggest that you help some of these other poolee's out (especially the females) with what to expect during their time in bootcamp since you have a recent persepective on it.

Mena
03-04-09, 11:06 AM
yeah. they say minimum time to wait after an entry level discharge is 6 months to 2 years. I've never taken meds, and never will. So if they deny my waiver now...i'll just wait a bit and try again. I...

KawiGunny
03-04-09, 11:08 AM
I can't speak for the other Marines but I hold no grudges and I'm pretty amicable when it comes to this stuff. I really do wish you the best of luck in your future attempt to come back in.

Also, don't let today put you off from frequenting this site. There is a lot of useful information and I would even suggest that you help some of these other poolee's out (especially the females) with what to expect during their time in bootcamp since you have a recent persepective on it.

:thumbup: :beer:

Mena
03-04-09, 11:10 AM

i've been the "helper" at my RSS with the female poolees. The SgtMaj @ RS Orlando wants me to speak to the females at the annual female pool function, answering questions and such. I'll still come to this site, and answer any questions the female poolees may have for me.

Thanks. I'm hoping for the best.

SGT7477
03-04-09, 02:03 PM
Getting everything out in the open goes a long ways, everyone has some type of depression in this cruel world of ours but some handle it differently, Best of luck to you.

immaproshooter
03-04-09, 02:54 PM
it sure does

Mena
03-04-09, 03:12 PM
Thanks so much.

candi
03-04-09, 03:51 PM

You know...It sucks that your mom has all these issues..but they are not yours. You can't do anything about them. You need to figure out a way to not let her problems get to you. And not just her either..but anyone. When I joined the Marine Corps, it was also to escape home. Ya, I had a lot of family in the Marines, and new a lot of other people, always wanted to..blah blah...But really, it was my ticket out of a crazy place...there was violence...alcoholism..and sexual abuse...I wanted to get the hell away...I was already pretty hardened to a lot of things so boot was a joke to me...but, I know what it is to be depressed also...If people are unloading all their problems on you, you need to put a stop to it if it is bringing you down. If you are trying to do a thing for yourself, and someone is telling you these things maybe with the aim of getting you to go back..you need to stop letting them manipulate you. Good luck with getting back in..like the others said, the label tends to stick.....
I don't know about you but my mother was so overbearing I practically had to have permission to breathe....It is tough to break away from that kind of environment..and it is tough to keep yourself from falling back into the training you have already received from growing up in such a place...You have to relearn a lot of things, and learn others on your own that you didn't have a chance to...In a way, the Corps is good for that...everybody starts off the same no matter where you came from....and you build a foundation, and you keep learning about yourself, what you can do, how far you can go...It is up to you how far you go, how well you do, and what kind of Marine you become...

Mena
03-05-09, 07:31 AM
You know...It sucks that your mom has all these issues..but they are not yours. You can't do anything about them. You need to figure out a way to not let her problems get to you. And not just her either..but anyone. When I joined the Marine Corps, it was also to escape home. Ya, I had a lot of family in the Marines, and new a lot of other people, always wanted to..blah blah...But really, it was my ticket out of a crazy place...there was violence...alcoholism..and sexual abuse...I wanted to get the hell away...I was already pretty hardened to a lot of things so boot was a joke to me...but, I know what it is to be depressed also...If people are unloading all their problems on you, you need to put a stop to it if it is bringing you down. If you are trying to do a thing for yourself, and someone is telling you these things maybe with the aim of getting you to go back..you need to stop letting them manipulate you. Good luck with getting back in..like the others said, the label tends to stick.....
I don't know about you but my mother was so overbearing I practically had to have permission to breathe....It is tough to break away from that kind of environment..and it is tough to keep yourself from falling back into the training you have already received from growing up in such a place...You have to relearn a lot of things, and learn others on your own that you didn't have a chance to...In a way, the Corps is good for that...everybody starts off the same no matter where you came from....and you build a foundation, and you keep learning about yourself, what you can do, how far you can go...It is up to you how far you go, how well you do, and what kind of Marine you become...

thanks. it means alot to me really...I know the label will kinda stick with me for a while but I want another chance now that I've been "hardened" so to speak...these past 6 months off the island have been the worst and I think that honestly it was good that I got sent home...in no way am I happy about it but I was given a chance to grow up. And now I'm ready for another shot.

KawiGunny
03-05-09, 08:30 AM
thanks. it means alot to me really...I know the label will kinda stick with me for a while but I want another chance now that I've been "hardened" so to speak...these past 6 months off the island have been the worst and I think that honestly it was good that I got sent home...in no way am I happy about it but I was given a chance to grow up. And now I'm ready for another shot.

Stay motivated and like Candi said, there not your problems. Stay focused when the chance comes for you to get that second shot at your target. The X ring might be small on the target but it is easy to hit if you steady your aim.

thedrifter
03-05-09, 08:54 AM
Stay motivated and like Candi said, there not your problems. Stay focused when the chance comes for you to get that second shot at your target. The X ring might be small on the target but it is easy to hit if you steady your aim.

Great Advice to end this....