PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Vikings' Jared Allen has personal reason for USO tour to Mideast

thedrifter
03-03-09, 06:29 AM
Sports
Minnesota Vikings' Jared Allen has personal reason for USO tour to Mideast
By Sean Jensen
sjensen@pioneerpress.com
Updated: 03/02/2009 11:56:49 PM CST

Vikings defensive end Jared Allen has a personal reason for participating in a USO tour to visit U.S. troops at bases throughout the Persian Gulf.

"My little brother just joined the Marines, so I want to go over there and check it out before he does," Allen said. "Just trying to be a good big brother."

Ronald Allen Jr. will turn 20 in August, and he's in boot camp now, Jared Allen said.

"I'm excited about this trip, 'cause I have a great respect for all military," Allen said. "And I would love to see everything firsthand."

One of Allen's role models is his grandfather Ray Allen, who was in the Marines for 23 years, rising from a private to a captain.

Jared Allen will be joined on this week's trip by Minneapolis native and Arizona wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, New York Giants linebacker Danny Clark and St. Louis linebacker Will Witherspoon.

Farwell update: Linebacker Heath Farwell left the Twin Cities on Monday for his first free-agent visit. That team is believed to be the New England Patriots.

The Patriots' interest in Farwell makes sense, because New England has not re-signed longtime special-teams ace Larry Izzo. A three-time Pro Bowl selection, Izzo, 34, is a free agent.

Farwell led the Vikings in special-teams tackles in 2006 and 2007 before injuring a knee during last year's preseason. Farwell has a visit scheduled Wednesday with a second team.

The Vikings remain interested in re-signing Farwell but appear to be letting the market dictate his value.

Ellie