PDA

View Full Version : Technical Controller 2821?

mbennett072
03-03-09, 12:28 AM
Ok so the mos i was given is that of a Techcon Marine. There are no Techcon Marines at my recruiting office and every search I turn up has very vague information. Can someone please tell me what being a Techcon Marine is like? What they actually do, what school is like, what they do in the fleet and what they do on deployments? Thank you very much for the help

Casedizzy2821
10-22-10, 06:44 AM
Ok so the mos i was given is that of a Techcon Marine. There are no Techcon Marines at my recruiting office and every search I turn up has very vague information. Can someone please tell me what being a Techcon Marine is like? What they actually do, what school is like, what they do in the fleet and what they do on deployments? Thank you very much for the help

Well, it looks like you are already a 2821 on MOL, so I will post this for the future Technical Controllers.

Basically you are responsible for the entire COMM network including: SIPR, NIPR, phones and transmissions (SWAN, LMST, Phoenix, MRC-142C, TISR etc.).

There are operators who specialize in the above gear (SATCOM Marines, Wiredogs and Data) but it is your job to ensure that the quality of the transmission/gear is being maintained. So if there is data running over the satellite, or over a terrestrial network, you have to make sure that the signal is as clean as possible. You do this by using test equipment (Firebird 6000 or 8000) and using the knowledge you learn in MOS school and in the fleet. You will be doing this when you deploy, and also in the fleet on field ops. When you are not doing your job-job, you will be conducting inventories of your gear, ensuring it is clean or LTI'ing it (limited technical inspection), PMs (preventative maintenance), and ensuring the record jackets are accurate and up to date.
MOS school is in 29 Palms, CA. You will spend about 2-3 months in BEC (Basic Electronics School), and another 5-6 months in TCC (Technical Controller's Course) for a total of around 9 months in actual school. You may spend another 1-2 months in MAT platoon (Marines Awaiting Training) when you first arrive. As an example, I was in 29 Palms for 11 months after I got off the bus from MCT. If you suck with electronics, or don't have a logical, systematic way of thinking, this MOS will be challenging for you.

A majority of your time (when actually doing your MOS) will be spent troubleshooting the gear. Imagine hooking up an X-BOX, a DVD player, some old VCR, an 8-track (that's been around since Vietnam and is probably broken) to a stereo system, that gets hooked up to a TV, then shot through CAT-5 cable to your buddies house who has the same setup on his end....and all of the gear has to talk to each other (or green up). It's a bad analogy, but I hope you are tracking with what I am trying to say. When the DVD player doesn't work, you have to ask: is there power? is the cable going to the TV bad? is the TV set on the right input? is the TV bad? does the TV have power? Okay, everything is hooked up right, why don't I have a picture?

I hope you see what I am getting at. Unfortunately you won't be playing with X-BOXs and flat screens. You will be playing with a Promina-400/800, and FCC-100 ,NIPR and SIPR routers (secure and non-secure inter/intranet), cryptographic equipment, video phones, VOIP phones, regular phones, SATCOM terminals...too many to name.

Are you confused yet Marine?

You will also get to do other fun Marine things like police call, shop cleanup, field day, PT, side jobs such as records, MIMMS, phone watch, driving a 7-ton (which carries the DTC that is yours), and a whole host of other things that Marines get to do. All part of being a Marine.

You will probably (99.9%) not ever see combat. Techcon Marines are too few and far between to be sending out on patrols, or doing any high-speed crap you hear about. You will spend most of your time in front of a laptop watching the latest DVDs, and playing your high-speed console system (or old school NES games on an emulator).

You report directly to SYSCON which is usually a boot Lt. He will want to know why a phone doesn't work, or why the SA-Trunk is down (Promina/multiplexer). You will say "I don't know Sir, let me go check on that", and the troubleshooting/fault isolation begins.

Pay attention in MOS school and take good notes. Nothing worse than looking like a dummy in front of Lieutenants and your CO because you don't know your job. Even still, when you check into the fleet, you will probably look dumb anyway because they only teach you the basics in school, and there is a ton more to learn in the fleet.

Another thing about MOS school is they will teach you that you are the best thing since sliced bread. While some Marines may hold that opinion, the truth is you are just another boot LCpl or PFC when you show up to the fleet. Please don't think you are above everyone else because you have a higher ASVAB and a higher GT score. When the 06 wiredog needs your help moving his gear, help him. Be a Marine and help your brothers and sisters. Techcon has a bad rep in the fleet right now for being broke, lazy, fat and pompous. Be squared away, PT, make sure your sleeves are rolled good and your uniform looks good etc.

Most Techcon Marines are a little weird. There aren't many of us. Only about 25-30 hit the fleet every 6 months. It's a small family. A lot get out after 4 years because as a civilian, you can make 6 figures easily, especially if you deploy as a contractor. If that's what you want to do, thanks for your service. But don't have the attitude of a short-timer. Be a good Marine, and care for your junior Marines should you pick-up NCO.

Another small tip, which you may not be able to control: COMM marines have to be good communicators, especially Techcon. You need to be able to make people understand why links are down, network architecture, your capabilities etc. If you are a social introvert, you may have a hard time. It is a fine balance of being a geek, and being able to talk to people confidently.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. That's all I have for now.