PDA

View Full Version : MEPS testing.

Oxaric
06-26-03, 10:56 PM
Hello! I have been through MEPS and had to give a urine and blood sample, like all others. I would like to know what they test for. I know they test for drug and alcohol abuse but do they test for STD's? If they do test for STD's would I be notified if the test results were positive? Thank you for any information you can offer!

22DevilPup87
06-26-03, 11:10 PM
... I have absolutely no idea. I'm sure someone that's been to MEPS recently can tell you. If you're worried about STDs, though, just go to your doctor and ask for the tests. I'm a young'un (meaning without telling you I don't have a sex life, making it so that can be inferred, basically letting you know that what I'm saying here is a pure guess) so I don't know how long turn around time usually is for results, but from what I understand it's not a big deal and is pretty routine.

jenrmurray
06-27-03, 12:16 PM
They test for pregnancy (if applicable), drugs, alcohol, AIDS and I believe that's it. I think a lot of STDs would not show in a blood test. You'd be notified if you had AIDS... I don't know if they'd call you up and tell you, but they would certainly DQ you on the med deck.

22DevilPup87
06-27-03, 01:13 PM
My guess is they'd test for anything that'd DQ you. AIDS would DQ you. I doubt a curable STD would DQ you.

jenrmurray
06-27-03, 01:20 PM
Jes, that's what I was getting at.. haha thanks for putting it more concisely! :)

Oxaric
06-27-03, 09:07 PM
I appreciate your posts but I would really appreciate some replies from people in the know.

22DevilPup87
06-27-03, 09:27 PM
Jen just went to MEPS recently. She's about as "in the know" as you'll get unless you talk with your recruiter about it.

Let's use some common sense to speculate, though. The purpose of MEPS is to make sure you're physically qualified to enter the military. If it's not going to disqualify you they probably won't check for it. If you're DQed you'd certainly know about it.

So, do they test for STDs? If having a particular STD would DQ you, of course they're going to test for it. Will you find out about the results? Well, you're sure as heck find out if you get DQed.

Now your job is to find out what STDs will DQ you, then you'd have all the answers. I know having HIV/AIDS will DQ you. I'm not sure about any other STDs. If you want to know, do some research and ask your recruiter.

If you want a check-up, schedule one with your doctor. That's not what MEPS is for.

top1371
06-27-03, 11:02 PM
Yes, they do a HIV test, and yes you will find out if you have AIDS because they will DQ you. They also test for drugs and the other nomal stuff like white blood cell count, triglycerites, cholesterol (sp?) and other healt factors like that....

Good luck on the results :D

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-28-03, 12:08 AM
In other words, they aren't checking to see if you got some disease that needs penacillin. If you do have one, or think you might, I would suggest getting it taken care of before you hit MCRD. I've heard the horror stories about how men with STD's under go testing and treatment by Navy docs... you don't want any part of that.

Oxaric
06-29-03, 01:12 AM
Thank you. What stories have you heard Echo_Four_Bravo?

jenrmurray
06-29-03, 11:42 AM
Hey, Oxaric, 22DevilPup87 and I were trying to help you out by answering your question. That's what goes on here: we all try to help each other. If you want a definite answer, start doing some research on it.

cg03
06-30-03, 04:44 PM
From my understanding, If they found traces of an STD, then you would not have sworn in and signed your contract. they would have called you to the office after the testings and told you that you were DQ'd for that reason. So, if you've already been, signed your contract and sworn in, then they didn't find anything.

Sixguns
06-30-03, 07:44 PM
Remember, if your medical status changes while in DEP, it could still affect your status and eligibility to ship to training. STDs do not always show up at a physical. Some types of STDs incubate for months before visible signs are seen. Get your own doctor to check you out if you even think you have some type of issue.

SIXGUNS

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-30-03, 10:11 PM
The stories I have heard do not need to be repeated here. This is a family site, and most people have no desire to hear what happens to those that find themselves in that situation. Like I said, if you think this is a possibility, get it checked before you leave home.

Sixguns
07-02-03, 06:26 AM
You would also get a letter from MEPS if test results had uncovered something. The letter would be from the Chief Medical Officer and would explain what actions you need to take to qualify to ship or to correct the disrepancy.

SIXGUNS

CPLRapoza
07-07-03, 03:58 AM
But I'll give you one word, Bore-punched, if you can figure that out you'll know what Cpl Bravo is talking about.

SeaRay1984
04-07-04, 08:38 PM
Do they Test For steroids??????