PDA

View Full Version : Mother of Rochester Marine reacts to President Obama's troop withdrawal plan

thedrifter
03-02-09, 07:32 AM
www.whec.com
Posted at: 02/28/2009 9:06 AM | WHEC.com
Updated at: 03/02/2009 7:33 AM
By: Catherine Varnum
Mother of Rochester Marine reacts to President Obama's troop withdrawal plan

President Obama's plan to remove troops from Iraq by 2010 is welcome news for families with loved ones serving overseas.

"You never know what's going to happen but we'll keep our fingers crossed." Christine Ryon has gone through deployments before.

Ryon has a son in the Army who served in Iraq. Her second son Alan is a Marine, heading to Iraq next month.

"It's so much safer over there, he keeps reassuring, he keeps reassuring me this is going to be the easiest tour he's ever done," Ryon said.

Christine got what she called reassuring news with Obama wanting most troops home by 2010.

"I thought it was great I think the troops done great job over there, so much accomplished and i think the Iraqi people are ready to do it on their own, they're really ready," she said.

Ryon's son was one of 70 Marines called up for duty last month. He'll be doing convoy security. She thinks Obama made the right choice for a timeline in Iraq.

"He thinks its great too and I think they're going to accomplish what they need to in Iraq and then they're going to focus on other parts of Middle East," Ryon said.

Ryon keeps plenty of pictures around the house of her son's and in her window are two candles. The one that's lit is for her son Alan's safe return. She says it'll stay that way until he comes home.

"It's hard, it's really hard but he's really devoted to the mission. It'll be seven months and we'll take it one day at a time," she said.

Ellie