PDA

View Full Version : I Need HELP..9 weeks to ship, Out of Shape..Need fitness guidance, please

CountryCruZn
03-02-09, 12:09 AM
I have came to the conclusion I dont know what I am doing and I Need Help! I just DEP'd last week and I have 9 weeks to ship and im 5'11, 220 lbs. I can perform the minimum 45 crunches in 2 mins, the 1.5 mile is cutting it close to the required 13.5 mins and I can only do 3/4 of One freakin pullup... Its horrible - I know - but any advice or a specific training program for 8-9 weeks would help me so much. Im taking this remaining time seriously and I have all day everyday available to me as well as a Gym. I would like to shed 20 pounds by the time I ship, I'm highly motivated and want to know the best way to get in some resemblance of shape b4 I leave, anything you guys can give me ill appreciate greatly.

Thank you so much, Im anticipating your responses

lthunder
03-02-09, 12:15 AM
I have came to the conclusion I dont know what I am doing and I Need Help! I just DEP'd last week and I have 9 weeks to ship and im 5'11, 220 lbs. I can perform the minimum 45 crunches in 2 mins, the 1.5 mile is cutting it close to the required 13.5 mins and I can only do 3/4 of One freakin pullup... Its horrible - I know - but any advice or a specific training program for 8-9 weeks would help me so much. Im taking this remaining time seriously and I have all day everyday available to me as well as a Gym. I would like to shed 20 pounds by the time I ship, I'm highly motivated and want to know the best way to get in some resemblance of shape b4 I leave, anything you guys can give me ill appreciate greatly.

When I was in the Marine Corp, they hated you. Why? Because you never fit and never will. You're best move is in loooking intoWW the Navy SEALs and then where you want to go. Why, choose any? Well, I've been thee and we want you... Anyways, trustme....

lthunder
03-02-09, 12:44 AM

WWP=BErd

CountryCruZn
03-02-09, 01:40 AM
lthunder, I do not get nor understand what it is you are trying to say, I WILL become a Marine, there is no other choice ... Im looking for Physical Fitness guidance and help to get started on the journey of becoming a United States Marine, NOTHING ELSE

fjmas1976
03-02-09, 11:43 AM
Eat less junk. Eat more protein fruits and vegetables and drink all the water you can. Stop boozing and living like a nasty civilian. Run. Run a lot and run far. Lift weights, do pull-ups, sit-ups and other weight/strength conditioning exercises. You don't need us to tell you the obvious.:usmc:

GSEMarine94
03-02-09, 02:23 PM
Do not listen to ithunder he is an apparent poser.
Do as fjmas said, run, run and then run some more. The thing is, is your weight, the more you lose the easier it will be to run and do pull ups. Also include some weight training, specifically upper body. For me one of the best exercises I found for upper body is push ups. They are simple easy and work. 9 weeks is plenty of time as long as you put forth the effort.

SlingerDun
03-02-09, 02:39 PM
lthunder, I do not get nor understand what it is you are trying to sayDon't feed the trolls Poolee
I have all day everyday available to me as well as a GymLucky, some of us have to make a dollarhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

But if you're willing to workout or at the least remain active 8 hours a day like people who have physical jobs scraping paint off houses, stripping concrete, setting chokers et cetera that 20lbs and then some will come boiling off soon enough. Good Luck though, it's the beginning of a lifestyle change

--->Dave

CountryCruZn
03-02-09, 03:03 PM
Ok, Ok ... So since I have no job or much to do til I ship, would it be beneficial or harmful to go to the gym everyday all day and jus stay on the treadmill walking and running? and then every other day mix in a complete upper body workout? Also should I do pushups everyday, or should I do them every other day with the upper body workout ...

redman1
03-02-09, 03:03 PM
Don't listen to lthunder he's an ass hole
We had a overweight guy in Boot Camp it was his second time around he failed Boot Camp the first time and was going again. They sent him to what they called Motivation Plt for a couple of weeks and then he finished with us. He made PFC out of Boot Camp. Just shows if your heart is in it you can make it.
SlingerDun gave you good advice so take it. If you can't loose all the weight Boot Camp will do the rest if you are willing to work hard.
Semper Fi Redman1

GSEMarine94
03-02-09, 03:24 PM
Ok, Ok ... So since I have no job or much to do til I ship, would it be beneficial or harmful to go to the gym everyday all day and jus stay on the treadmill walking and running? and then every other day mix in a complete upper body workout? Also should I do pushups everyday, or should I do them every other day with the upper body workout ...

Running everyday is a good start, but you need to change it up. Here is my schedule, I am attempting to get back in shape for National Guard OCS.
M,F I run 3-5 miles
T,TH I run 2 miles and I track my time (This is the Army PFT distance so you would use 3 miles)
W,Sat I run wind sprints, 25 yards and back, 50 yards and back, 75 yards and back, 100 yars and back. I usually do 2-4 sets of these.
Sun is my day off.
There is no need to stay at the gym all day, everyday. Work out for a couple of hours a day for say 5-6 days a week. Change your workouts similiar to my running schedule, say upper body a couple of days, lower body a couple of days, etc. Whatever you do DO NOT RUN ON A TREADMILL, get out on the road, find a high school track, whatever just stay out of an air conditioned gym, especially considering you will be at boot during the summer. Spend the remaining time studying your "knowledge." You can get this from your recruiter.

redman1
03-02-09, 03:32 PM
GSEMARINE that's good advice. Hope he takes it.
Semper Fi Redman1

CountryCruZn
03-02-09, 04:17 PM
Thank you GSEMARINE, those sound like some real good workouts, Ill definitely have to work up to 3-5 miles but if I stick to it by the end of the nine weeks ill be in a whole lot better shape than if I did nothing, Im starting today! ... Its still freezing outside where I live so Im going to stay on the treadmill til it warms up, Ill keep you guys posted on my progress ... Thank You

SGT7477
03-02-09, 04:26 PM

Run Forrest Run to get that weight off along with weight lifting.:flag:

CountryCruZn
03-02-09, 11:12 PM
Well just got back from the gym, I ran a 9:30 mile and couldnt run any more.. its a horrible start but I gotta start somewhere.. Instead of 3 miles im gonna start out with 1.5 miles trying to make the 13.5 mins time for the IST and when I get there Ill move on to 3 miles.. I did powerwalk 2 miles and sprinted a few minutes as well to get in the distance, tomorrows gonna be more running and upper body workout, im down 2 pounds to 218 im gonna weigh myself next monday and put it up here, the motivation is in me and my determination is unbreakable .. I WILL get there!

GSEMarine94
03-03-09, 07:36 AM
Everyone has to start somewhere as long as you stay motivated you will get there, but don't forget about the knowledge. Bootcamp is primarily physical but there is also a lot of information you will have to learn as well. The recruits that do the best are the ones that focus on both. Good luck and stay motivated.

0231Marine
03-03-09, 07:52 AM
When I was in the Marine Corp, they hated you. Why? Because you never fit and never will. You're best move is in loooking intoWW the Navy SEALs and then where you want to go. Why, choose any? Well, I've been thee and we want you... Anyways, trustme....

WTF??? Moderators, can we see about banning this individual? Every post of his is negative and he offers nothing constructive to any conversation. He also claims to be a 6 year Private which tells me everything I need to know about his character and what kind of Marine he was.

CountryCruZn
03-03-09, 01:32 PM
I was trying to get some advice and then this dispicable no good pos writes this. I knew lthunders message was completely out of line, it sounded like he was anti-marines to me, I didnt want to say anything to bad cuz ima newbie, Thanks for bringing it to attention 0231MARINE, I agree his morale and character are nowhere needed here!

redman1
03-03-09, 06:36 PM
0231Marine I agree we need to boot this guy out.
Semper Fi Redman1

CountryCruZn
03-03-09, 10:01 PM
Stayin with it! Jus got done workin out.. I ran hard for myself, I cut a whole minute off my mile so im at 8:30 mile today which was a huge success for me - made me feel real great, I kept goin to 1.15 miles and just ran out of gas, I really wanted to complete the 1.5 miles ~ bummer - almost there though - I am getting better everyday so ill be there soon, tomorrow at the DEP meeting were doing pre IST so Ill post my progress when im done... 216.5 lbs - feels great to be losin weight. Posting on here keeps me motivated and im gonna keep my progress updated often til I ship, thanks guys

redman1
03-04-09, 03:57 AM
Poolee CruZn keep up the good work
With your attitude you should make a good Marine
When you earn the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor it will be the most proud day of your life. Believe me you will earn it, its not given out just to anyone.
You have allot going for you before you go in. You already have allot of Marines pulling for you. Keep the good attitude.
Semper Fi Redman1

CountryCruZn
03-04-09, 08:24 PM
I finally Got 1 pullup YEA, did the IST today at the DEP meet, very proud of myself, 56 crunches in 2 mins, 1.5 mile run in 12:43, and 1 Pullup - actually like 1 3/4 but couldnt call it 2 - I downloaded the running cadences from here and ran to them and when I was ready to quit I heard "Motivation, Motivation, OoRahh, OoRahh, Marine Corps, Marine Corps and some more, and it jus pumped me right back up I ran the entire 1.5 miles without stopping and with time to spare, Im so close now I can taste it ... Thanks for your support guys It means a lot and it really motivates me to know that youre behind me. Ill keep you posted ~ Peace

UsmcMotorT
03-05-09, 11:03 AM
Pork Chop Platoon will fix your problems if you fail the IST.

lthunder
03-06-09, 10:09 PM
lthunder, I do not get nor understand what it is you are trying to say, I WILL become a Marine, there is no other choice ... Im looking for Physical Fitness guidance and help to get started on the journey of becoming a United States Marine, NOTHING ELSE

The best the marine corp has to offer in medical advice is that you should cut your sodium and sugar levels at all costs. I remember this being a major conflict when they pass out pesi bottles of sweet nurture.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-10-09, 05:50 AM
All:

IThunder is quite llikely a despicable poser. Disregard anything written or stated.

To begin with, you have an incomplete profile. Until you complete same, you will get no further response (nor should you) from anyone on this site, effective now. And, until you explain yourself, fully, to a moderator, expect to hear black helicopters coming to extract your butt from this site and be eliminated from cluttering up our area.

Unless and until I hear otherwise, I will be posting this response after every single thing you put here as a warning to other Marines, Marine friends, and poolees. Suggest you unfrack yourself ASAP.

Ace151Slayer
03-10-09, 01:14 PM
It seemed like a bulk of what I did at bootcamp is just running, running, and more running, and crunching and pull ups. We did other PT exercises too of course on PT days, but the main thing seemed like it was those 3 right there, we would do them just waiting around for things even when it wasnt a PT session so if you really wanna be ahead of the game, focus on those 3 and it should help a ton to get you in shape.

Like what was said above too, less booze, soda, snacking, ect. I didnt think I was that outta shape when I left, but I got home this past Friday and everyone thinks I look slim and extremely in shape, so its amazing what 13 weeks of no booze, and snacking can do for ya. I love it.

GSEMarine94
03-15-09, 11:01 AM
Bump
Haven't heard anything from Country in awhile.

CountryCruZn
03-15-09, 12:40 PM
Well someone seems to think my profile isnt completed? Its as completed as I can get it, I dont know what else to do... Anyways hey guys, Yesterday we had the Master Sergeant and Major from MEPS recruiting station St Louis come down and check out our performance. I passed the IST! I can finally do 2 pullups! When I was at 0 I thought it would be impossible but just stayin motivated and workin out really works to get in shape, I did fall off the wagon for a few days but then I realized I gotta get in shape first and foremost before anything else will fall into place so I got back in the gym and now ive been goin 5-6 days a week, Its incredible to see how after just a short period of time my running capabilities are much improved I actually like the thought of going to run now, my endurance is up and I jus feel better, I can only imagine when I get done with boot camp how great my body is going to feel altogether, down to 215 lbs and I will lose more I know it, well Later ill keep you guys posted thanks a lot

1stripeup2strip
03-15-09, 02:23 PM

When I enlisted almost 3 decades ago I only ran a few times before shipping out. I don't know if I was in your kinda shape but that doesn't matter. If you want to be a Marine nobody can stop you. I never fell out of a run, did 20 pullups and 60 situps in 60 seconds the old req for a perfect score. I also ran a mile under 7 minutes.

The DI's especially the Bulldog:evilgrin: (3rd hat)will be breaking your ass for being out of shape. You will draw attention and he will break you if as they say you are a fatbody. Don't let him. Just keep your mouth shut and mentally do not quit.

There is no preperation just be mentally strong and want it more than anything else. You say your 20lbs over wieght so assume you'll lose 40-50.

WHen I was in the attrition rate was over 40% and I have to assume it's close to that still. Especially if you draw 3rd batallion like I did. You can't train for what is about to happen. I've seen in shape guys break mentally and never saw them again.

Want that Eagle ,Globe and Anchor more than anything and you will get it.

MJL

"Take me to the brig where the real Marines are"- Chesty Puller

redman1
03-15-09, 02:34 PM
1stripup2strip, Finish filling out your profile if you want anyone to respond to your post!!!!!
Semper Fi Redman1

1stripeup2strip
03-15-09, 03:18 PM
WTF??? Moderators, can we see about banning this individual? Every post of his is negative and he offers nothing constructive to any conversation. He also claims to be a 6 year Private which tells me everything I need to know about his character and what kind of Marine he was.

I thought we fought to allow people like this to have their ideas heard? After bootcamp I met my drill instructor and he was a Lance Cpl. I guess that tells you all you need to know about him. When I was at Gieger a Marine said "There is a serious leadership problem in the Corps. right now" he was A Lt. Colonel at the time. So maybe time and grade doesn't tell you everything you need to know about someone. 0231 should I make my judgment because you listened to tapes for 3 tours?

Chesty Puller referred to Marines in the brig as "Real Marines". I notice you proudly claim 3 tours in Iraq. An MOS tells me more about anyone that their rank could ever do.

The only person qualified to pass judgment on this man was his CO. So I'll wait for his post to make up my mind.

I suggest to the moderators that we remove intolerance and anyone that would judge a Marine brother.

GSEMarine94
03-15-09, 03:34 PM
I thought we fought to allow people like this to have their ideas heard? After bootcamp I met my drill instructor and he was a Lance Cpl. I guess that tells you all you need to know about him. When I was at Gieger a Marine said "There is a serious leadership problem in the Corps. right now" he was A Lt. Colonel at the time. So maybe time and grade doesn't tell you everything you need to know about someone. 0231 should I make my judgment because you listened to tapes for 3 tours?

Chesty Puller referred to Marines in the brig as "Real Marines". I notice you proudly claim 3 tours in Iraq. An MOS tells me more about anyone that their rank could ever do.

The only person qualified to pass judgment on this man was his CO. So I'll wait for his post to make up my mind.

I suggest to the moderators that we remove intolerance and anyone that would judge a Marine brother.

A little history about Ithunder (the poster that 0231 was speaking about) in one post he claims to be a Corpsman in the next he claims to be a Marine, his profile says he joined the Corps in 95 but doesn't graduate boot until 05. One thing I have learned at this site is posers are not welcome. And to your last sentence, before you make suggestions, know exactly what is going on.

GSEMarine94
03-15-09, 03:40 PM
CountryCruzn; Stay motivated, sounds like your on the right track.

redman1
03-15-09, 03:50 PM
Steve, I've been sitting here boiling about what "No Stripe" said and I don't think he is much better than Thunder.
He doesn't even fill out his profile all the way.
"No Stripe" you maggot don't even think about giving our moderators advice, I'm not sure you are a Marine.
Get with the program or get off.
Semper Fi Redman1

GSEMarine94
03-15-09, 04:07 PM
I agree Buddy something doesn't exactly add up with him, 1 stripe up 2 stripes (I'm guessing down) isn't that how the Air Force does it? Also his profile says he is an E-1, then shouldn't his screen name be "no stripes"?

1stripeup2strip
03-16-09, 08:01 AM
I agree Buddy something doesn't exactly add up with him, 1 stripe up 2 stripes (I'm guessing down) isn't that how the Air Force does it? Also his profile says he is an E-1, then shouldn't his screen name be "no stripes"?

The handle ended up being aborted because of the system but the Marines also have stripes down. They're called hash marks. It was a joke. But humor seems to be lacking here.

As far as the guy everyone is mad at for being a poser why doesn't he just claim to be a SEAL like the posers I meet on a daily basis. Hell half of congress was wearing the Trident when they didn't rate it.

I really don't care if the guy wants to pretend. He probably washed out and that's his way of comforting himself.

I have my 25+ year old Red book and a DD214 that proves what I did and I don't have to prove it to anyone.

redman1
03-16-09, 08:24 AM
The handle ended up being aborted because of the system but the Marines also have stripes down. They're called hash marks. It was a joke. But humor seems to be lacking here.

As far as the guy everyone is mad at for being a poser why doesn't he just claim to be a SEAL like the posers I meet on a daily basis. Hell half of congress was wearing the Trident when they didn't rate it.

I really don't care if the guy wants to pretend. He probably washed out and that's his way of comforting himself.

I have my 25+ year old Red book and a DD214 that proves what I did and I don't have to prove it to anyone.

It's not about you proving what you did.
It's about sharing what you did and your interest so we as fellow Marines can get to know you.
Your profile is the only way we can check out your personally and interest and see if we as Marines have any thing in common. Like Duty Stations, Boot Camp, Years in Service, and so on.
If you don't won't to answer a few simple questions like the rest of us I guess this is not the place for you.
Get with the program or get out!
Semper Fi Redman1

JWorkDI
03-16-09, 08:40 AM

Loser

0231Marine
03-16-09, 08:47 AM

Look here funny guy. Before you go spouting off at the mouth, you better make sure you have your facts straight. I did 4 deployments (not 3) during my 5 years in the Marine Corps and as for my MOS, 0231 is only a number. Since you seem to possess such in depth knowledge of my MOS, I'm interested to know what "tapes" you're suggesting I spent my entire time deployed listening to. You know nothing about the things I've seen and done and I'd wager a guess that I've seen more combat during my 29 months deployed than you've ever dreamed of so you can take your opinion of my MOS and deployment history and stick it on the shelf next to your promotion warrant to Private.

And thank you for the lecture on what we as Marines fight for. Before you mentioned it, I was under the assumption that we engaged in countless battles across this world because it was just the "cool" thing to do. Boy, where would I be without your profound insight into why I fought for my country.

TTX
03-16-09, 11:36 PM
Watch your calories consumption! you can google how much calories you need a day according to your weight/age and eat only that much and addition with exercise. Here are some of the food that I eat: healthychoice or similar can soup which has less than 200 calories and so as protein bar depend on flavor, and they are cheap.

Here is how I lost 20lbs within two months with simple math: I eat a can soup half an hour before workout. I did combination of powerwalk and run on the treadmill until it tell me I have burnt 800 calories (normally 1hr). So 800-200=600 calories which your body energy have used up. Calories are energy and so as fat; at least some amount of enery are from your body fat. Thoughout the day I eat pretty much what I want to eat and not exceed 2500 calories (for my weight and age). I also drink plenty of water. I am not an expert or a doctor and this is just an information that I just want to share and not a recommendation!

I got out the Marine Corps six years ago and never exercised ever since until last Christmas. I did 20p/100c/24min on my last PFT in the MC. Last Christmas I weighted 175lbs and I did 6p/48c/32min. Last month I weighted 155lbs, and now I have gained 5 lbs due to started lifting weight. Last week I did 14p/82c/25min my own PFT.