PDA

View Full Version : Religion Required in Boot Camp?

Rotella
02-28-09, 12:57 PM
I am set to ship in August and I'm wondering about how religion is handled in boot camp. If you're papers have a specified religion on them, do you have to participate in those religious activities in boot camp?

PaidinBlood
02-28-09, 01:35 PM
nope but you'll be smart to consider it. Ain't no atheists in a foxhole...or in the back of a highback on an IED sweep... Not telling you what to, though. Good luck to you.

To clarify, you will no be obligated to participate in any activity, nor will you be limited to practicing the faith you declared at MEPS. Even saw some converts to Buddhism with their little red books. Whatever works for you..

Rotella
02-28-09, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the info, sir.

PaidinBlood
02-28-09, 01:44 PM
Anytime. To save you from making millions of threads a day, anything else on your mind I can help with?

Rotella
02-28-09, 01:51 PM
Not at the moment, but I will try not to flood the forums. Thanks again.

SGT7477
02-28-09, 02:05 PM
I am set to ship in August and I'm wondering about how religion is handled in boot camp. If you're papers have a specified religion on them, do you have to participate in those religious activities in boot camp?
You don't have to but if I was you I would, don't go in like some poolees who think there isn't a God, Marines Prayer, Riflemans Creed, Marine Corps Hymn says it all, God, Country, Corps is what we strive for.:flag:

BR34
02-28-09, 05:04 PM
I'm not religious. But I went to the last church of the morning on Sundays (don't remember what service that was, maybe Portestant). Anyway, I went to that particular service because while I was there I knew field day would be starting, the house would be crushed, and recruits would be scuzzing.

Rocky C
02-28-09, 05:46 PM
You don't have to but if I was you I would, don't go in like some poolees who think there isn't a God, Marines Prayer, Riflemans Creed, Marine Corps Hymn says it all, God, Country, Corps is what we strive for.:flag:

GREAT ANSWER !!!!!
Semper Fi My Brother,

Rocky

StoneTheWeak
02-28-09, 07:18 PM
I neglected to attend religious services. 4 hours of freetime to square away your ****, remark gear, take a **** in peace without your kill hat jumping on the framing off the ****ter and screaming at you. Good times. If you're religious and wanna go, go, if you don't want to that sunday, don't. I'm not religious. When I went to bootcamp in August I went the first 2 sundays, I was struggling and was looking for guidance in some form, after awhile you just adapt and figure out that those 13 weeks are short lived, and doing it right and maybe getting meritorious promotion is worth more than going to church, again, if it isn't a big deal to you. I went to bootcamp with some very religious guys as well as some who weren't. You'll meet all sorts of people there. Enjoy it though, it's the easiest and funniest part about the corps.

PaidinBlood
02-28-09, 11:09 PM
The Marine is partially correct-if you want to go, go. If not, don't.

However, if you feel the desire, letting wordly concerns like marking your gear stop you from going is worse than just not being close to your Maker at that time in your life. No better than sleepin in on Sunday on account of Saturday being too big.

You'll see for yourself when ya get there-I'll quit beatin' you up. Good luck to you!

Alisium
03-01-09, 02:50 AM

No, and you can go to whatever service you want to. I went to two different kinds in my three months.

It's nice to get away from the squad bay and the services are great ways to let the pressure out in a positive way. Religious or not, you'll probably enjoy it.

Just to reiterate what everyone else here has said, the government is not ever going to force you to do anything religious against your will.

Rotella
03-01-09, 10:02 AM
Thanks for everyone's input. It's been helpful.

crazymjb
03-02-09, 03:26 PM
I know plenty of non religious Marines, some combat experienced, some not. There was no pressure from my drill instructors to attend services, in fact they encouraged us to stay back and get stuff done.

I did, however, attend services. I got to see my girlfriend once a week, and that was good a reason as any to spend a couple hours of my "square away time" at services.

Mike

GSEMarine94
03-02-09, 03:35 PM
Going to church was strongly encouraged by my DI's. I think it was a respit for them as well for us.

commdog7
03-02-09, 03:53 PM
When I was in boot, my DI's made us all go the first Sunday, but if a recruit really did not want to go, they had the option to wait outside until the service ended. I was never really religious growing up, I rarely went to church. But in boot, I made sure I was in church every Sunday- it was the motivation I needed to make it through the coming week. I actually got baptized on the Sunday just before the crucible, it was awesome. Church was a means of getting away from the Drill Instructors for an hour, and had the effect of allowing you to forget you were in Parris Island. Some of my best experiences in boot camp occurred in church. It was also a way of bonding with my fellow recruits.

You can choose for yourself if you want to go to church or not. They have something for almost every religion. If you are into religion, I would definately encourage you to attend religious services, it makes boot camp a little easier if you can find that spiritual motivation.