PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on training another DEP'er

Lupo22
02-28-09, 09:56 AM
I've taken another DEP'er under my wing because of his lack-luster IST scores. I ran my mile and a half in 9:40, did 85 crunches (only because I worked out my abs with weights the day before and they were really sore...I do 100 normally) and 18 pullups...

My problem is this guy can't do one pull up, barely gets 50 crunches and runs the 1 1/2 in 15 minutes.

He's a vegetarian (only eats fish...just about everyday), doesn't drink soda, hates chocolate and candy.

I have him working out 5 days a week. We run everyday. After our workouts on Mon-Wed we do some form of organized martial arts (tae kwon do, kickboxing and jiu jitsu). I mean we go non-stop and have been for about a month now and I'm not seeing any improvements.

I'm so lost. I guess some people just aren't really cut out for it.

Are there any supplements I could put him on? I'm 6'2 175lbs so I don't know much about weight loss supplements and what not.
I'm going to try the Recon Ron pull up program. And I'm going to start H.I.I.T with him (High Impact Interval Training) where basically you sprint for 30 seconds and walk for 60, then repeat 12-15 times. I heard people are getting great results with that.

Any one here have any suggestions?

Machinegunz88
02-28-09, 04:48 PM
If he fails, you fail.

Pete0331
02-28-09, 05:05 PM
I've taken another DEP'er under my wing because of his lack-luster IST scores. I ran my mile and a half in 9:40, did 85 crunches (only because I worked out my abs with weights the day before and they were really sore...I do 100 normally) and 18 pullups...

My problem is this guy can't do one pull up, barely gets 50 crunches and runs the 1 1/2 in 15 minutes.

He's a vegetarian (only eats fish...just about everyday), doesn't drink soda, hates chocolate and candy.

I have him working out 5 days a week. We run everyday. After our workouts on Mon-Wed we do some form of organized martial arts (tae kwon do, kickboxing and jiu jitsu). I mean we go non-stop and have been for about a month now and I'm not seeing any improvements.

I'm so lost. I guess some people just aren't really cut out for it.

Are there any supplements I could put him on? I'm 6'2 175lbs so I don't know much about weight loss supplements and what not.
I'm going to try the Recon Ron pull up program. And I'm going to start H.I.I.T with him (High Impact Interval Training) where basically you sprint for 30 seconds and walk for 60, then repeat 12-15 times. I heard people are getting great results with that.

Any one here have any suggestions?

Run him every other day.
Vary between distance running and sprinting.
Abs can be worked out everyday.
Evaluate his nutrition, make sure he is taking in enough calories.
NO SUPPLEMENTS!

You are overworking him. Allow him time to sufficiently recover from working out.

PaidinBlood
02-28-09, 05:34 PM
Unless he ships tomorrow, chill a little and vary it. Otherwise he will not stick with it and you will lose him. Better to get a recruit with so/so performance and give the DIs a chance to do their job than to just lose another body altogether.

Good on you, though.

You might adjust your attitude towards him a bit, too. You are doing well so far, but if you stick it out there will come a time when you need a little help with something and you will realize the strength of the Marine is the Corps and the strength of the Corps is the Marine, as the say.

Zulu 36
02-28-09, 07:20 PM
Only eats fish? He's going to have a tough time playing the Vegan in the Corps and keeping up physically. PT, chow hall meals, and MREs are not designed for Vegans.

Lupo22
02-28-09, 08:33 PM
Ok, the only supplement I gave him so far is some protein shakes. He's not a vegan, just a vegetarian. He drinks milk, eats eggs, and cheese, etc. Its not a morality thing he says. I told him he really needs to start eating lean meats, chicken, some red meat.

When I work him out, I don't do the same muscle group everyday. I usually give each group at least 4 days to recover. And I do my best not to push him (except on runs and crunches).

I guess I'll just be patient with him. I'm trying to do a good thing. I've always considered myself a good leader in most things I do.

Appreciate the input guys.

I should also mention this kid is about 5'9 215lbs so he has some weight to lose. I'm sure that'll help tremendously with his pull-ups.