PDA

View Full Version : 'OOH-RAH' for Mr. Smith

thedrifter
02-28-09, 07:24 AM
'OOH-RAH' for Mr. Smith
Saturday, February 28, 2009
By Rayma Silvers ~ Herald-Tribune

On Friday, members of the Marine Corps Mobilization Command visited Fort Scott to salute local businessman Jim Smith.

At a special luncheon conducted at the Fort Scott National Historic Site, Col. Patrick McCarthy, Deputy Commander for the Marine Corps Mobilization Command, located in the Kansas City area, presented a plaque of appreciation to Smith.

According to Col. Stephen Waldron, the MOBCOM Chief of Staff, for several years Smith has been helping to raise the morale of the soldiers by contributing phone cards, gas cards and gift cards to the Marines, who are based in the Kansas City area. In fact, the first few times that Smith contributed to the Marines, he did so anonymously, which is an indication of Smith's upstanding character, according to Waldron.

"I truly couldn't be more appreciative of Mr. Smith and Mrs. Smith," Waldron said. "The news isn't 30 or so officers coming to Fort Scott. It is Mr. and Mrs. Smith. I want to shake his hand and thank him personally."

After being presented with the token of gratitude, Smith said he is extremely thankful for the diligence of the Marines who often put their lives on the line for people they do not even know.

"If it wasn't for these guys, I wouldn't have anything," Smith said. "I feel woefully inadequate when I am in their presence. We give to the military. It's all I care about. More people should care about that (military)."

Separation from friends and family is one of the difficulties many military men and women have, while enlisted in the armed forces, according to Lt. Col. Fritz Mielkey, who is the MOBCOM Staff Judge Advocate. The donations Smith gives the Marines help the service men and women stay in contact with their families and in turn keeps their spirits up.

"People like Jim Smith bridge the gap between their (Marines') duty station and home," Mielkey said. "It helps keep them in contact with their families, which is always a boost in morale."

Col. Ivan Glasco, the MOBCOM Assistant Chief of Staff, said Smith has been a supporter of the Kansas City Area Marines because he understands the importance of the Marines.

"No one likes war," Glasco said, "but sometimes we have to have war. We are volunteers. There is no draft. He (Smith) understands that. He has decided the military is one of the things he wants to show his gratitude for. It's (support) good for morale to show the public understands the sacrifice the Marines make."

Although showing their appreciation to Smith was part of the reason the Marines made the trek to Fort Scott on Friday, it was not the only objective for the outing. According to Waldron, the military group also used the day to conduct Professional Military Education. During the PME, the Marines toured the National Historic Site, the National Cemetery, various local historical homes and Mine Creek Battlefield. By touring the local facilities, the Marines were able to learn about military history in the local area.

"It is important to understand history and why it was there," Waldron said. "One of the great things about Fort Scott is it still has unspoiled representations of what the frontier was like."

Glasco said touring the local historical organizations helps him understand military history a little better than just reading about historical events in books.

"It's good to see it on the ground," Glasco said. "I can read about it, but it is good to see it on the ground."

Mielkey said he really enjoyed his visit to the National Historic Site and was impressed with the construction of the fort.

"I saw a picture of Fort Scott in the 1960s and then I've seen what's been done," Mielkey said. The quality of restoration in stunning. I'm also impressed that visitors, especially in the enlisted barracks, can see first-hand the practical hardships that were a part of a soldier's everyday life. There was no GI Bill or base movie theater. Those men suffered just being on duty."

Smith, who toured the local historic site with the Marines, said he was excited to have the Marines in the local area for the day. "I'm glad they came," Smith said. "I figure everything I have is because of them."

Ellie