PDA

View Full Version : Great day to come home

thedrifter
02-28-09, 05:57 AM
Great day to come home
Comments | Recommend
February 27, 2009 - 6:52 PM
JENNIFER HLAD

Just a few hours after President Barack Obama outlined his plan to withdraw combat troops from Iraq by Aug. 31, 2010, one of the first units to fly combat missions during the war returned home to New River Air Station from Iraq for the fifth time.

Capt. Bill Wallace has deployed to Iraq with Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 269 four times. This time, the unit of AH-1W SuperCobras and UH-1N Hueys split into two parts, supporting missions in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The first time Wallace deployed to Iraq, he said, it was "more kinetic. Now, Iraqis have the ball," and the Marines are taking a more supportive role.

"It is certainly night and day from four or five years ago," he said.

Every time the unit has deployed to Iraq, "it's gotten quieter and quieter," said Lt. Col. Jim Jenkins. But the unit saw more combat operations in Afghanistan, he said.

The deployment to Iraq was the second combat deployment for Sgt. Steven Little. His wife, Arlyn Little, said she hadn't been able to sleep for a week.

"It's rough," she said, breaking into tears. "I'm so glad this is over."

The second deployment was more difficult than the first, she said.

"We always do everything together. I don't go anywhere without him,' she said.

The deployment was the first for Cpl. Joshua Nolen, who had a happier first to come home to - his first child, Wyatt.

"I'm excited," said his wife, Danielle.

The deployment was "long, ridiculous long," Joshua Nolen said, as he stood holding his baby's hand, transfixed by the one-month-and-one-day old boy.

"I'm overwhelmed," he said. "That's my kid."

Contact interactive content editor and military reporter Jennifer Hlad at jhlad@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8467.

Ellie