PDA

View Full Version : Help! Looking for an Article about "Back to the Basics"

MClark
02-27-09, 09:34 AM
Hello,

There was an article written by I think Gen Mattis that was titles something like "Back to the Basics" that talked about needing to refocus on basic skills. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of this article?

A link or PDF file would be awesome!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Quinbo
02-27-09, 10:30 AM
Any chance you could take a stab at telling us a little about yourself with a profile?
The article is from Gen A.M. Gray. He changed a lot of things while commandant. Put google to work.

MClark
02-27-09, 12:02 PM
Haven't updated profile since I just joined. Are you sure it was Gen Gray? I could have sworn it was a recent (last 2-3 years) by Gen Mattis in Leatherneck or the Gazette?

Quinbo
02-27-09, 12:10 PM
I'm in a good mood so here you go
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE3DC1730F937A3575BC0A9619482 60&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

Please fix your profile

MClark
02-27-09, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the help, however, that is not the article I am looking for. I am pretty sure Gen Mattis wrote it for either Leatherneck or the Gazette. If I find it, I will post the link, but it detailed his thoughts on returning to the "basics", such as marksmanship, etc.

It had to have been published within the last 2-3 years.

Thanks for your help!

kentmitchell
02-27-09, 03:19 PM
I didn't realize there had been a big difference in the way East Coast and West Coast Marines trained, probably because the only East Coast duty I saw was at PI.
However, in my era--56-60--West Coast Marines trained quite differently from the 9th Marines on Okinawa and Japan, and the 4th Marines in Hawaii. Upon return from the Far East I discovered that West Coast Marines were candy-asses.

Quinbo
02-27-09, 03:23 PM
Appearantly you read the article. Tell it to General Gray.