PDA

View Full Version : Hope riding on vanity plate

thedrifter
02-27-09, 08:15 AM
Friday, February 27, 2009
Tom Greenwood
Hope riding on vanity plate

Well, it's almost time for me to renew my license plate tabs, but this year, I thought I'd do something a little different.

I'm a big fan of personalized plates, so I decided to indulge myself by ordering a vanity plate through the Secretary of State. But how should it read? This is not the kind of decision one should make in haste.

The first step was to head to the SOS Web site ( www.michigan.gov/sos) to check out its "Plate It Your Way" service. The site allows you to choose the type of plate that you want (standard blue and white, spectacular peninsulas, military service, fundraising, college, etc.) and then type in whatever message you'd like on the plate.

If the wording is already taken, it tells you so; if it is available, it displays it on an electronic version of the plate. The process is simple and a lot of fun.

I enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1968 so I thought I would go military.

"SEMPRFI" was taken, as was "MARINES" and "USMC 68." But then I remember that I have a Marine Corps sticker on the back of my vehicle, so I dropped the military theme since it seemed like "Leatherneck" overkill.

Then I decided to try plates that targeted my profession.

I found that "NEWSMAN" and "NEWSGUY" were already spoken for, but "DETNEWS" and "ROADGUY" were available. Ultimately I decided against them because they were a little too self-promoting; a little too "me."

Then I looked at some of my favorite pastimes: "LUV2COOK," "LUVDAUP" and "FOXRIVR" (I have property on the Fox) were already taken. Just as well; why did I think anyone would be interested in my interests?

How about something spiritual?

"FORGIVE," "BHUMBLE" and "GVTHNKS" were unavailable, as were "BE TRUE," "LETITGO" and "BE KIND." But after a bit of reflection, I decided the subject matter was a little too preachy for the back of my beat-up SUV.

But I felt I was on the right track.

I wanted something that that was optimistic, without being Pollyanna-ish; something comforting without being cloying. A personalized plate that, to me, was upbeat despite all the economic chaos and confusion around us.

I finally settled on "WELLBOK."

As in "WE'LL B OK."

And with time, I believe that we really will be OK once again.

Commuting You can reach Tom Greenwood at (313) 222-2023 or tgreenwood@detnews.com.

Ellie