PDA

View Full Version : Images of soldiers' coffins won't add to war coverage

thedrifter
02-27-09, 06:49 AM
Posted on February 27, 2009 4:54 AM
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Images of soldiers' coffins won't add to war coverage

This letter is in response to Brian Eller's Feb. 26 column" Coffin ban prevents ingenuous view of war." As a navy corpsman(medic), I've helped to place fallen Marines onto a helicopter in Iraq bound for mortuary affairs. I stood at attention and saluted as the American flag was draped on their bodies and have held back the tears that come when it hits you that your friend is gone. This is a moment I believe that I and other members of the armed services have earned the right to hold in private.

There is little to be gained from photographs of deceased soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines. These men gave their lives for their country and as a finally thankful of a grateful nation they should be allowed to return home in peace.

My time in Iraq has given me a perspective and ethos Mr. Eller does not possess. He prefaced his article by stating he has no such credibility, yet he continued to write. With age perhaps he will be granted the wisdom to realize that he should confine his columns to subject matter he truly understands.

Andrew Graf

junior- immunology and infectious disease

Hospital Corpsman, Second Class

Ellie