PDA

View Full Version : Lejeune sailor awarded Silver Star

thedrifter
02-27-09, 06:30 AM
Lejeune sailor awarded Silver Star
Comments 2 | Recommend 3
February 26, 2009 - 6:12 PM
JENNIFER HLAD

As the commanding general of II Marine Expeditionary Force praised his actions in Afghanistan, Petty Officer 2nd Class Joshua Simson stood with the stoic expression service members tend to adopt when standing at attention.

Lt. Gen. Dennis Hejlik detailed Simson's actions on July 27, 2007, when his foot patrol in Afghanistan was ambushed. Simson attended to 17 separate casualties, Hejlik said, repeatedly exposing himself to fire as he cared for Afghan soldiers and U.S. service members over the course of about seven hours.

After Hejlik pinned the Silver Star on Simson's uniform, the members of 5th Battalion, 10th Marine Regiment, stood and applauded. And Simson finally cracked a shy smile.

"I'm sorta overwhelmed by all this," he told them "I was just doing my job."

Often, Hejlik said, the public and the media refer to musicians and athletes as heroes.

"It's bunk," he said. "Young Marines and sailors like this are heroes, because they do their jobs."

Simson was serving as an advisor to the 3rd Kandak, 1st Brigade, 201st Corps of the Afghan National Army in Nuristan province when the foot patrol was ambushed near the village of Saret Kholet, according to the award citation.

At one point, an Afghan solider was "shot down in the middle of the road," the citation reads. "With small arms impacting all about him, he feverishly worked to save the life of the fatally wounded soldier."

Later, as the only uninjured medical personnel, he established the casualty collection point, while still assessing the wounded.

"Hospitalman Simson's actions were seen across the battlefield, and his selfless willingness to expose himself repeatedly to potential injury or death, coupled with his composure under fire, was exemplary and inspiring to his fellow servicemen and the Afghan soldiers," according to the citation.

Simson said he was humbled to be recognized, and said he reacted the way he did because of his training.

"You didn't really have time to think it over very much," he said. "A lot of different things go through your mind when you're being shot at - excitement ... to sheer terror."

Others on the battlefield that day "did very, very brave things," he said, and "their bravery spurred me to action."

"I didn't think my actions deserved this," Simson said of the award.

Reading about other Silver Star recipients, he said, "They're great men. I don't look at myself that way. ... I was just doing what was required of me that day."

the award certificate and citation

http://video.onset.freedom.com/jdn/kfp66t-simsonsilverstar.pdf

Contact interactive content editor and military reporter Jennifer Hlad at jhlad@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8467.

Ellie

Ellie