PDA

View Full Version : Generation Kill: Becoming A Marine (HBO)

Jarhed87
02-26-09, 05:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O1fIqCM3Go :usmc:<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2O1fIqCM3Go&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Gunner614
02-26-09, 05:38 PM
That show is definately one of my favorites, even if I only saw one episode. I give it a strong two thumbs up :thumbup::thumbup:

giveen
02-26-09, 05:41 PM
I really liked that show.

Pandza03
02-26-09, 08:16 PM
This is by far my favorite book/series involving the Marine Corps. I own the box set and the book and i definatly recommend it to those who haven't seen the show or read the book

-Pandza

Pete0331
02-26-09, 08:20 PM
This is by far my favorite book/series involving the Marine Corps. I own the box set and the book and i definatly recommend it to those who haven't seen the show or read the book

-Pandza

I would suggest reading "One Bullet Away" and "Generation Kill" before watching the movies.

Pandza03
02-26-09, 08:25 PM
I would suggest reading "One Bullet Away" and "Generation Kill" before watching the movies.

Right, I own the book and box set (DVD) of Generation Kill, I read the book before watching the series

Integrity57
02-27-09, 11:58 AM
Definetly read One Bullet Away before you watch Generation Kill, you'll have a better perspective of Capt. Fick for sure.

PaidinBlood
02-28-09, 01:48 PM
Actually a pretty good miniseries. I was pretty skeptical before watching it. Hard to understand or place in the right context from the outside however. I watched after a few years and two deployments..

silverdollar
03-01-09, 08:04 AM
I watched about three shows of generation kill and saw three or four Marines and a whole lot of ****birds.:mad:

sdk87to91
11-30-11, 05:19 PM
I just finished reading the book Generation kill and have mixed feelings. I was hoping to see what you all thought, but it appears from the posts that there was a TV show too which may overshadow the book.

It seems like the author was obsessed with collateral damage, civilian casualties, and incompetent officers. I am sure those exist but I feel like a Rolling Stones writer should never have been embedded with the very tip of the spear.
I was a civilian still living in a college town during the lead up to the invasion and the aftermath here, and I developed a prejudice toward the anti-bush, anti-operation position. Perhaps the authors account is representative of the operation but I dont believe it. If the whole operation was that messed up it would have failed miserably.
I also believe that even if the authors account is true it should not have been made public. It seems like the enemies of our country could use those stories to develope strategies to use against us in future operations. I am sure the book validated our enemies methods in their eyes. Such as hiding behind civilians to mess with Marines heads.

That being said the author is a good writer and I doubt a Marine turned amateur writer could have created such a page turner. I was tempted to quit reading after the authors obsessions with civilian casualties and incompetent officers became apparent but the story was so compelling that I couldn't put it down.

The co-worker who recommended it to me did so after he had been assigned to read it in a fire fighting leadership class. The objective of that assignment was to get wildland firefighters to question orders that seem too dangerous.
We are trained in the wildland firefighting world to refuse an assignment if it seems to dangerous. After one such class I told our engine captain that he should keep in mind that I would not refuse an assignment. I think he knows what I mean; but another engine crewmember, who recommended the book to me, asked me once
"So if I tell you to go down into some firey hole would you go?"
I said "yes". A few weeks later he brought me that book.
My main job is range management and firefighting is not my regular job, so I guess I should have explained my response to him better. If my co-worker who is a regular wildland firefighter gave me an order I would defer to his experience and I would trust his judgement.
I would follow my AFMO (assistant fire managment officer) or our engine captain into hell.
However if some guy from another district or from another regular occupation where to give me a dangerous assignment, I would likely be hesitant to trust him as much.

If you still reading tell me, "Do Marines refuse assignments very often in combat?"

93Reaper
12-03-11, 05:03 PM
Am going to watch this later tonight, going out to dinner with the family. A good book is Stand by to Fall Out by Peter Chadz.