PDA

View Full Version : 0311 FMF question....

Lupo22
02-25-09, 10:04 PM
Once I make it into the Fleet as an 0300 (hopefully an 0311), what is the situation like for someone married? Will I only be away for really long periods of time on my deployment(s)??

The only reason I ask is I was talking to a guy the other day who had been to Iraq, Afghanistan, Okinawa, Thailand, Hawaii, Germany and a few other places in his 8 years and I was just wondering if my wife will be able to go all those places with me (excluding the combat in Iraq/Afghanistan) or if all of those are deployments that I'd go alone.

Sorry...I'm really clueless about this.

DocGreek
02-25-09, 11:18 PM
LUPO....not a good question to ask. Becoming a Marine, takes COMPLETE COMMITMENT, and personal sacrifice. PLEASE....have a heart to heart, with your recruiter about your wife's future....with The Marine Corps. NOT an easy road to travel. My best to you, and family.......DOC

Achped
02-26-09, 05:44 AM
It depends, if you get stationed in Hawaii, yes, she can live with you. I'm stationed in Hawaii and I could marry a polynesian princess and she'd live with me every day that I wasn't deployed or at PTA (but...Im stationed in Hawaii...why would I WANT to get married???)

Thailand? Germany? Okinawa? No bones man. Those are deployments, or an overseas tour which you won't be allowed to bring your wife.

0231Marine
02-26-09, 06:43 AM
(but...Im stationed in Hawaii...why would I WANT to get married???)

Good Point :thumbup:

silverdollar
02-26-09, 08:53 AM
Was the wife issued by the Corps?:marine:

Crusader20
02-26-09, 09:15 AM
At your duty station, she can be with you there. Attempt to get base housing. that may help her with your deployments. As an 03, you will be gone, ALOT. Lots of young, bored, and "no one knows me here" wives have done things that they may have regreted while the Marine was away.

If possible, wait until you are complete with your first deployment. That will help you understand that amount of time you will be gone and what you two will have to endure.

Good luck!

Lupo22
02-27-09, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys. Trust me, the Corps comes first! I'm 110% committed! I just hear about these military families and kids growing up in Germany and overseas and was just wondering if thats the situation I'd be in or not.

She would DIE if I was stationed in Hawaii!! She already said she will come back to South Florida when I get deployed but if we're in Hawaii, I doubt she'd go back home hehe.

Hawaii would be pretty nice...

Thanks again guys

Quinbo
02-27-09, 11:09 AM
A good friend of mine a gunny is stationed here with his wife and kids. He's not an 03 but he is always gone as in not in Germany but other places. Even stationed in Hawaii as an 03 you don't see a whole lot of your own pillow or family. If it is not deployments it is training exercises or schools that keep you not home more than home. West Pac widows tend to stray from the fold as well.

Alisium
03-01-09, 03:01 AM
Figure, about one and half weeks to two weeks every month you're going to gone in the field. Then you chop to the MEU and you'll be doing at least 10 day work up's once a month untill you float.

Then there is duty, and schools, bad hours and f***-f*** games like the devil above mentioned.

So your wife will come with you to your permanent station but, you're going to darned busy. Especially your first two years.

Dude, if you're not married right now, don't get married. Wait, at least until your done with your first four. I don't mean to scare you but I don't want you going in with false illusions. In my experience, almost to a man, the infantry lifestyle will ruin a young marriage.

If you are married, think about changing your MOS before you go, to a poge unit that'll give you more face time with the wife.