PDA

View Full Version : Inf Lt in Bosnia Sounds Off

thedrifter
06-26-03, 05:46 AM
Inf Lt in Bosnia Sounds Off
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Col. Hackworth,

I have read your books "About Face" and "Hardcore". I enjoyed them both very much. I have also been reading the after-action reports on your web-site. I have been in Bosnia for the past 3 months and training for this rotation since last November. I am a police officer on the civilian side and have been one for 14 years. I don't confess to having a combat record of any kind. In reality I have never been shot at in anger. What I do feel I have some insight on is common sense.

One of the reasons I became an officer in the National Guard after 6 years as a U.S. Marine, was the lack of common sense. I did not feel as though I would change the system but did feel as though I could bring something to the table that troops would respect, I hoped. I have not had a command yet but have been in a platoon leaders slot. The best "going away" present I got when I went to a staff job was a plaque of appreciation from the NCO's of my platoon. Sounds silly but those are the people whose respect I wanted and worked to get. Mostly because when I was on the other side of that coin I saw alot of BS from officers who looked out for themselves and their careers.

The reason I am telling you this, is mainly, that I see the same things going on here in Bosnia and in today's army. "The Army of One", seems pretty appropriate for a slogan. Everybody seems to be looking out for number 1, with a few exceptions. Decisions are made here because people don't want to trust soldiers or allow NCO's to run the troops. There are several examples but let it suffice to say that the "zero-defect Army" is very much alive and well. Common sense takes a backseat to "what can advance my career" or "if I make this decision how will it hurt my career".

Thanks for letting me vent. The march of the porcelain soldiers continues.......

http://www.hackworth.com/article06222003y.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: