PDA

View Full Version : On-base civilian jobs for spouse (and more)

incognitoman
02-25-09, 08:07 AM
Alright - here's my situation...

I have my rough app in for OCC starting in Oct, BUT - my fiance' has a great job right now at the local hospital and will get her graduate school paid for through the hospital. So I was wondering a couple things:

1) After TBS and MOS-specific training, I'm under the impression you "join the fleet". At this stage, are there several major locations one can be stationed at? Or are there many possible locations that are largely determined by whatever MOS you have?

2) Once you know your location, how long are you generally there? And I know there's a good chance of getting deployed somewhere, but when you get back, do you report back to the same place? Basically, I'm wondering if there's a location my (then wife) could stay for a bit knowing I'd eventually make it back there and be there for a bit.

3) Are there health-care jobs for civilians on base? If so, are there any continuing education benefits for spouses of Marines? i.e. are there any programs where my wife could be employed through the Corps as a civilian and get graduate school paid for?

Thanks guys - I appreciate any info you can give me!

TJR1070
02-25-09, 01:41 PM
1- There are many locations that you may be stationed, especially as a Marine Officer. However most Marines do get stationed in a handful of places like Lejuene, Pendleton, Okinawa, etc. But that is a limited list.
2- Once you get to your permanent duty station you will probably be there for three years, including overseas tours if your wife accompanies you.
3- Generally there are no health care jobs on base as everyone's health care is provided for by the Navy. That will include your wife and children. That being said most bases have a large community just outside the gate that will have jobs available for someone with a nursing degree. Tuition reimbursement programs would be on a case by case basis with the employer involved, the Marine Corps will not pay for your wife's continuing medical education expenses.

sscjoe
02-25-09, 01:55 PM
Alright - here's my situation...

I have my rough app in for OCC starting in Oct, BUT - my fiance' has a great job right now at the local hospital and will get her graduate school paid for through the hospital. So I was wondering a couple things:

1) After TBS and MOS-specific training, I'm under the impression you "join the fleet". At this stage, are there several major locations one can be stationed at? Or are there many possible locations that are largely determined by whatever MOS you have?

2) Once you know your location, how long are you generally there? And I know there's a good chance of getting deployed somewhere, but when you get back, do you report back to the same place? Basically, I'm wondering if there's a location my (then wife) could stay for a bit knowing I'd eventually make it back there and be there for a bit.

3) Are there health-care jobs for civilians on base? If so, are there any continuing education benefits for spouses of Marines? i.e. are there any programs where my wife could be employed through the Corps as a civilian and get graduate school paid for?

Thanks guys - I appreciate any info you can give me!

Don't know about Naval Hospitals but the Army contracts out quite a few health care positions at their Facilities.

incognitoman
02-25-09, 02:36 PM
1- There are many locations that you may be stationed, especially as a Marine Officer. However most Marines do get stationed in a handful of places like Lejuene, Pendleton, Okinawa, etc. But that is a limited list.
2- Once you get to your permanent duty station you will probably be there for three years, including overseas tours if your wife accompanies you.
3- Generally there are no health care jobs on base as everyone's health care is provided for by the Navy. That will include your wife and children. That being said most bases have a large community just outside the gate that will have jobs available for someone with a nursing degree. Tuition reimbursement programs would be on a case by case basis with the employer involved, the Marine Corps will not pay for your wife's continuing medical education expenses.

Exactly what I needed. Thanks!

I figured there would be no spousal education re-imbursement but was curious if the Corps hired any civilians for that aspect.

Thanks much.

SGTBrentG
02-25-09, 02:39 PM
I was going to point out the same thing regarding contracting out jobs. Also, wasn't there a change a while back to GI Bill and a Marine's spouse could use them? Or was that just a thought that passed and didn't come to fruition?

TJR1070
02-25-09, 02:47 PM
I wonder if the Army is going to contract out the Army soon?

giveen
02-25-09, 03:02 PM
I was going to point out the same thing regarding contracting out jobs. Also, wasn't there a change a while back to GI Bill and a Marine's spouse could use them? Or was that just a thought that passed and didn't come to fruition?

As far as I remember you have to serve at least 6 years before you can transfer it to your spouse.

SGTBrentG
02-25-09, 03:08 PM
OK. I was not sure of the details.

giveen
02-25-09, 03:53 PM
Benefit Transferability
Transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits: The Department of Defense (DoD) is authorized to allow individuals who, on or after August 1, 2009, have served at least 6 years in the Armed Forces and who agree to serve at least another 4 years in the Armed Forces to transfer unused entitlement to their dependents (spouse, children). The Department of Defense may, by regulation, impose additional eligibility requirements and limit the number of months transferable to not less than 18 months.
Transfer of Unused Education Benefits Under MGIB (Chapter 30), 1606, or 1607 to Family Members. The Department of Defense is authorized to allow individuals who have served at least 6 years in the Armed Forces and who agree to serve at least another 4 years in the Armed Forces to transfer unused entitlement to their dependents (spouse, children) under chapters 30, 1606, and 1607.
The Department of Defense may, by regulation, impose additional eligibility requirements and limit the number of months transferable to not less than 18 months.

Hmmm...stupid beta web browser is screwing with my links.

incognitoman
02-26-09, 06:51 PM
Thanks again guys.

My lady has been looking into several universities around both Lejeune and Pendleton and there appear to be a few options at each of those 2 locations. The idea of the possibility is enough (right now) to gain some more support of the idea for me to go ahead with this.

Alisium
03-01-09, 04:32 AM
My son was born at the Balboa Naval Hospital and there were plenty of civilian health care professionals. So there is always hope.

Go look on USAjobs.gov to see what might be available for health care posistions at corresponding base locations.

And remember, in some places there are plenty of civilian hospitals in the area that may need staff.