PDA

View Full Version : Chief petty officer receives Bronze Star

thedrifter
02-25-09, 05:34 AM
Chief petty officer receives Bronze Star
Comments 0 | Recommend 1
February 24, 2009 - 1:04 PM
SUZANNE ULBRICH

Chief Petty Officer Brian S. McGee said he accepted his Bronze Star on behalf of all the soldiers he served proudly with while in Iraq.

"On a mission, you don't come alone," said McGee, at the presentation ceremony held this morning at the Camp Lejeune Naval Hospital galley. "(The soldiers) took care of me out there in this province where I was the only Navy personnel within like 70 miles. They were very courageous out there serving the way they did."

Capt. Gerard Cox, the Naval Hospital's commanding officer, said McGee distinguished himself as the medical advisor to 5th Motorized Transportation Regiment Military Transition Team, Multi-National Force in Baghdad, Iraq, from December 2007 to December 2008.

"Chief Petty Officer Brian S. McGee's service has been nothing short of exemplary," he said. "His diligent work ethic, knowledge of combat operations and exceptional technical skills have provided the foundation for success of his assigned Iraqi Army counterpart's medical department, two separate (transition teams) and several other units on Forward Operating Base Caldwell, Iraq."

Cox told ceremony attendees that McGee volunteered for the toughest missions. He served as an assault element leader for U.S. Army Special Forces and team medic in multiple combat operations. Additionally, he established and implemented a Trauma Combat Casualty Care training course for more than 50 Iraqi medics, implementing the principals of counter insurgency by training, mentoring and coaching his Iraqi army counterparts, Cox said.

"McGee's actions are in keeping with the finest traditions of military service," he added.

McGee, who has served in the Navy for 20 years, said he would not trade his experiences while deployed for the world.

"(Receiving this award) is very humbling," he said. "I am proud to represent the Naval Hospital Corps and chiefs, and to let (others in the military) know what we are all about - our creed, the values we live by - honor, courage and commitment."

McGee, who is from Brookhaven, Miss., and his wife, Joann, have two daughters, Meredith, 14 and Grace Ann, 4. He said he is the bearer of bad news around the Naval Hospital, since he is in the operational support office which plans and organizes mobilizations and deployments.

"The 15-month deployment was brutal, but it was probably harder on my family than it was on me," he said.

Especially since he knew it was coming.

"I deployed myself," he said.

Contact Topsail area reporter Suzanne Ulbrich at sulbrich@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8454.

Ellie