PDA

View Full Version : Issue

marine8914
02-24-09, 02:36 PM
I just got back to the states post accident overseas. I broke my arm, broke and dislocated my wrist and my hand, and dislocated my thumb. A few pins and a cast later... A buddy of mine died over there and is funeral is coming up. I was given instructions, not orders, to show up in dress blues. Problem is that due to the cast I cannot put my hair up according to regs. I asked friends family and roommates and after multiple failed attempts I dont know what else to do. Do I not wear dress blues? Do I leave my hair down and break regs? Do I do the best I can and hope my cover covers it up? I am on a limited budget and getting it done professionally is kinda out of the question.

giveen
02-24-09, 02:43 PM
Try going down to the recruiters office and see if there is any female recruiters or perhaps even other female service member from other branches who can help you out.

KawiGunny
02-24-09, 02:44 PM
I would keep looking for someone who can help with the hair or go in civies. Better to go in civilian attire than to go out of reg's and not look like a professional that you are. I am a gut but thats my 2 cents worth. Now, because of the economy, I am completely broke.

marine8914
02-24-09, 02:44 PM
GIVEEN- That is an awesome idea. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Chumley
02-24-09, 02:45 PM
I just got back to the states post accident overseas. I broke my arm, broke and dislocated my wrist and my hand, and dislocated my thumb. A few pins and a cast later... A buddy of mine died over there and is funeral is coming up. I was given instructions, not orders, to show up in dress blues. Problem is that due to the cast I cannot put my hair up according to regs. I asked friends family and roommates and after multiple failed attempts I dont know what else to do. Do I not wear dress blues? Do I leave my hair down and break regs? Do I do the best I can and hope my cover covers it up? I am on a limited budget and getting it done professionally is kinda out of the question.

I'm sorry for your loss Cpl!!!
You already know this answer. I.A.O.
I'm having trouble understanding noone will help you get dressed!!! :mad:
I hope you heal stronger than before!
SFi
C

marine8914
02-24-09, 02:52 PM
plenty of people have tried to help with my hair problem is no one can do my hair correctly according to regs. called local recruiting offices (marine corps, army, navy, coast guard, air force). There are only 2 female recruiters in a 38 mile radius of my area and one is on maternity leave and the other sick leave, she has mono and will b out for a few weeks.

marine8914
02-24-09, 02:53 PM
I was thinking about someone in ROTC but that is not a big thing in my area

spotts
02-24-09, 02:55 PM
How about a local MCL, VFW or American legion? Im sure they should have some WM's that remember the hair regs and can help you out.

giveen
02-24-09, 03:14 PM
Any military bases near by?
National guard bases?

marine8914
02-24-09, 03:32 PM
only combat engineers and armory. no females. military wives though.

giveen
02-24-09, 03:34 PM
Hm, they *might* know how.

I remember a training session in the Marine Corps were the females in our shop taught us how to did their "sock bun". Never seen a bunch of guys more fascinated, lol

marine8914
02-24-09, 03:38 PM
Yea. I tried doing it with the cast and it doesn't work real well. How much trouble would i get in if i cut the cast off so I could do my hair?

giveen
02-24-09, 03:42 PM
i would talk to a doctor about doing that. You may do more long term damage to you than whats its worth.
Plus talk about the pain you might go through!

marine8914
02-24-09, 03:46 PM
Yea it will hurt like hell. They are doing surgery next week to put in pins so i cannot do any more real damage. I will be damned not to show up in dress blues and honor him properly

giveen
02-24-09, 03:51 PM
If he was here, he might just be glad you were there.
If its medically impossible for you to do it, go in nice civilian attire.

marine8914
02-24-09, 03:56 PM
civilian attire is not an option. He gave his life to save mine. I cannot dress in civilian attire.

giveen
02-24-09, 04:00 PM
Semper Fi. Dont know how else to help you beyond the advice already given.
Hopefully you can find someone to do your hair :(

marine8914
02-24-09, 04:02 PM
I do appreciate all your help.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-26-09, 08:27 AM
You def. have an issue.

If you can't find someone to fix your hair, then technically, you'll be out of regs if it's hanging down in your blues. Do you want to deal with that? While you will be honoring him in Blues, would HE want you to do it out of reg, and possibly get into trouble?

You have a couple of choices as I see it, then.....

Having found no one to do your hair, have it cut. That's the easy solution and it'll grow back.

If you don't want to do that, then wear "Full dress" civilian attire, with miniature medals. Not an 'evening dress' or anything like that, but as dressy a suit as you have.

No easy choices here if you can't find someone to fix your hair, tho.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-26-09, 08:28 AM
Your profile says you are in Maryland...where in Md are you? LMK because I can likely find someone that can help if you are close enough.

mskassie
02-28-09, 09:10 PM
Ma'am,
If you are anywhere near Bethesda, please come by, we have many female Marines here that could help you and/or I would be glad to pay for someone to do your hair to regs so you may honor your friend. I am very sorry for your loss and hope you recover from your injuries quickly without much pain.
v/r

JWDevilDog
03-03-09, 05:00 AM
Personally I say get a haircut. That way, you can be within regs, wear your Dress Blues, and not have to find a red herring female servicemember who might not be able to help you out, Cpl.

Like Sgt. Leprechaun said, it will grow back.

Artemis
03-03-09, 10:35 AM
Go to a salon. Last I knew it was acceptable to get your hair french braided, as long as the end is tucked in or to get a french twist. It can be done, if that is not an option then cut it. It is only hair and it will grow back.