PDA

View Full Version : What d'ya think?

Silver_XAT
08-06-02, 08:25 PM
Hello everyone. I, like virtually every future marine, am trying to get all the info i can on different MOS's. Scores not with-holding... do you have any recommendations? I'ved talked with my recruiter a lot (got an appointment tomorrow as a matter of fact...) I just feel like i need more than a list or brief descriptions like are on most sites and in most books. At the very least do you know of any good sites i might not have found? Thx for your help :)

Silver

Sixguns
08-06-02, 08:38 PM
First, the choosing of an MOS is not one of the first things you need to consider in choosing the Marines. Let the recruiter understand your goals and needs. Allow him to explain the general benefits associated with Marine Corps service. Once you are satisfied that the Marine Corps will improve your position for the future,, you will need to take an ASVAB Test and physical examination to determine your eligibility for USMC service and MOSs. Active duty will offer you far more MOSs to choose from. Reserve MOSs are limited to the needs of the Reserve unit you are joining. The MOS is always secondary. Being a Marine first is the primary concern.

SF

Devildog1984
08-07-02, 03:47 PM
I agree with sixguns, your recruiter will help you with the details of an MOS. What you want to concentrate on is preparing yourself both mentally and physically for boot camp, because if you don't make it thru boot camp it won't matter what MOS you have signed up for. Aside from that it is going to depend on what you want to do and what you qualify on the ASVAB for. Good luck

Semper Fi

Sixguns
08-07-02, 04:52 PM
Please let us know how your appointment went with your recruiter. I know I am anxious to hear what happened and what plans you might be considering for your future.

SF

Silver_XAT
08-08-02, 04:35 PM
Well... due to my college scholarship situation it looks like my first three yrs will be reserves (so i can use the money already provided to me by the state). I'll be going to the University of South Florida in Tampa, which is very close to MacDill airforce base. I'm told they have an Amphibious Assault Vehicle unit there. There is also a motor transport unit in Orlando. I had a 1270 SAT score so, aside from a little practice, the ASVAB shouldn't hold me back from much that I want to do. Both units have both mechanical and crewman positions available. I had previously been considering active duty LAV's. Understanding and working with AAV's first could only help me (as far as my military resume and understanding how light armor works) and i'm told i may laterally transfer my MOS upon enlisting for active duty. For instance if i saw that i would like the mechanical side better, or if i did want to become an LAV crewman. I'm not trying to sound stuck on LAV's, but it's the only thing ive found enough info on to be interested in. Also im considering the PLC (where your MOS is chosen for you when you become an officer in which case this conversation need not take place ). ;) Im just not sure if i want to go the officer route yet.
P.S. thanks for being interested

Silver_XAT
08-08-02, 04:41 PM
Hehe, late happy birthday Six, by the way... <cough> you're just over twice my age :D

me = dead sexy 18 :banana:

Sixguns
08-08-02, 05:14 PM
I think you have made some wise decisions based on the information you have gotten. The reserve route is a good move. If, and I mean it, if you decide to go Active Duty, look into new opportunities/MOSs at that time. Should you want to go the officer route, remember most OCS grads will become ground officers. Having a background in the infantry will not be a bad thing either. I hope you do join the team.

P.S. I may be twice your age, or old enough to be your father, so listen to my wisdom.... become a Marine!!!

Silver_XAT
08-08-02, 06:14 PM
I might have to give serious thought to sticking around with AAV's until those advanced ones come out... they should be pretty sweet.

lol check out this cyclopse guy ===> :robot:

I have some off the wall questions.

1. Under "normal" battle conditions who recieves any kind of sidearm, say an M9, as part of their issue? Is this still an officer only practice?

2. What is the primary site u use to find out anything about everything Marine? <be it a weapon question like above, news about upgrades, or where training facilities are located>

Many thanks

What I really need is a site for nervous, info hungry poolies