PDA

View Full Version : Haverhill students 'adopt' Marine who went to their school

thedrifter
02-24-09, 08:00 AM
Haverhill students 'adopt' Marine who went to their school
By Mike LaBella
mlabella@eagletribune.com

11After greeting the many excited children who could not wait to show them the cards they made and the letters they'd written to the Marine, who was one of their own, Sarasue and Alan Dick's eyes scanned the room they'd visited so many times before in the past.

Their son, Andrew, who graduated from St. Joseph in 2001, once sat in these same little seats.

Andrew's two older siblings attended St. Joseph before he did.

"This school was the center of our life for 12 years," said Sarasue Dick, as her husband, Alan, stood by her side. "I remember coming here when our son began first grade and we got to sit with the kids in our laps. Our neighbor could not make it that day so I actually had two kids in my lap."

Children in Andrea Carroll's classroom have adopted the Marine, school secretary Judith Quintal said.

She recently suggested to her close friends Sarasue and Alan Dick, members of All Saints Parish for more than 30 years, that children in her grandson Stephen Quintal's class send their son — Lance Corporal Andrew Dick — 27 cards along with letters asking about his work overseas and thanking him for serving his country.

"We've had other classes write to soldiers, but to no one in particular," Quintal said.

She arranged for the Marine's parents to visit the class recently, where the couple encountered a room filled with bright-eyed children who could not wait to pepper them with questions about their son.

"How does it feel to be the parents of a Marine?" asked Shaun Mears, 8.

"We're very proud, and a little nervous," Sarasue Dick answered, "particularly because he volunteered to go to Afghanistan for a second tour."

Alan Dick said his son volunteered for active duty in Iraq in the hope that married Marines, as well as those with children, would not have to go.

Matthew Nadeau, 8, wondered if he and his wife worried about their son a lot.

"We pray for him every day," Alan Dick responded.

When Jakob Deroche, 8, asked the seemingly simple question, "Why did he want to become a Marine?" he wasn't sure what kind of answer he'd get.

"He always wanted to be a Marine ever since he was a little boy," Sarasue Dick told Jakob. "He built forts in his sandbox and he played with GI Joes. We used to play cowboys and Indians. I was always the Indian, and he'd chase me around the yard."

Andrew Dick's siblings, Thomas Dick, 27, and Katelyn Winship, 28, also graduated from St. Joseph School.

Sarasue and Alan Dick treated Carroll's students to a slide show of images of their son in Iraq. And when they announced their son is expected home in April, and that he'd visit them, the class erupted in cheers.

"I think what the children are doing is awesome," Alan Dick said. "This school always goes above and beyond."

شانشانشان
Join the discussion. To comment on stories and see what others are saying, log on to eagletribune.com.

About Lance Corporal Andrew Dick

Attended St. Joseph School of All Saints Parish, grades one through eight. Graduated in 2001

At age 10 was the Ambassador to the People to People Program and spent two weeks in England, Scotland, and Wales.

At age 13 joined the Navy Sea Cadet program in Methuen and was designated a Marksman.

Attended Central Catholic High School and graduated in 2005; made varsity wrestling team his freshman year, wrestled four years and competed for the state championship

After high school, completed two years at the Mass Maritime Academy in an undergraduate program for Homeland Security; joined the Marine Reserves in June 2006

Last year, volunteered to deploy to Iraq with 59 other reservists from the Londonderry, N.H., unit; currently on active duty in Iraq

Ellie