PDA

View Full Version : Fort Stewart soldier receives Bronze Star with Valor

thedrifter
02-24-09, 07:43 AM
Fort Stewart soldier receives Bronze Star with Valor

Posted: Feb 23, 2009 04:03 PM

Updated: Feb 23, 2009 04:47 PM

By Michelle Paynter - bio | email

FORT STEWART, GA (WTOC) - A young Third Infantry Division soldier was honored with a top Army award, the Bronze Star with Valor.

It was awarded today Spc. Sixto Garcia. He is assigned to the 1st Brigade, 3-69 Armor Battalion, also known as the "Speed and Power" battalion.

The 24-year-old is soft spoken, but when it comes to fighting a war, Spc. Garcia's fellow soldiers said he's the man you want by your side.

Including Lt. Col. Jessie Robinson who spoke at today's event. "Personally I feel blessed and honored to be privileged to be your battalion commander," he said at today's ceremony on Fort Stewart.

It's not too often a soldier receives such a prestigious award. That's what made today's ceremony so special.

"There's very few people who can say they've done something bigger than themselves," said Master Sgt. Stan Balcer. "And the actions of Spc. Garcia speak highly of himself and several others that day."

That day was March 23, 2007. Master Sgt. Balcer, Spc. Garcia and other members of the 3-69 Armor were stationed in Ramadi, Iraq. There was a firefight, Spc. Garcia was manning a machine gun.

There was one explosion after another, one knocked Spc. Garcia to the ground. "For a second I thought I was gone, but I got up and started feeling my face because my glasses broke," he said. "And I returned fire again."

He fought off the enemy and saved the lives of 60 soldiers and 24 marines. No American lives were lost that day.

"They were telling me I saved a lot of lives. I was just doing my job," Garcia said. "And I'm so glad for saving all those lives."

Spc. Garcia was 23 at the time and had already earned the respect of his superiors. But his battalion commander, Lt. Col. Robinson, said his actions on that day made him a hero among heroes.

Robinson said to Garcia, "Spc. Garcia your actions on 23, March 2007 were that of love, sacrifice dedication selfless service and honor. You exemplify the soldiers creed and army values."

Spc. Garcia is married to Valeria Garcia and they have a 2-year-old son.

Ellie