thedrifter
02-24-09, 07:32 AM
Job Seekers Turn to
Military in Sour
Economy

Last Edited: Monday, 23 Feb 2009, 11:03 PM CST
Created On: Monday, 23 Feb 2009, 10:25 PM CST
GREG GROOGAN

HOUSTON - A signing bonus, guaranteed employment and a pile of money for college -- in a sour economy, many are beginning to see military service as a super sweet deal.

"People getting cut from jobs left and right. This will be the most stable way to keep a job and maintain money for college," says Richard McClellan, one of eight Hastings High School seniors headed for the United States Marine Corps.

While McClellan's fellow recruits are all driven by a desire to serve, the security and benefits of a military job have proven a deal closer.

"Oh yea definitely, the economy is going down and college prices are going up," explains Corey Huynh, another of the Hastings eight headed to the Corps.

At a recent Jr. ROTC competition in Tomball parents and advisors say students who've had a taste of the military way are making pragmatic decisions in the face of an unwelcoming job market.

"He didn't want to put me in a financial burden and we said no we'll work it out," says Norma Alvarez, whose son will serve in the Marines after graduation. "He said no mom, the military can offer me anything and everything," she adds with pride.

It wasn't that long ago that military recruiters were struggling to fill the ranks, but since the economy has drifted into recession and the casualty figures from Iraq and Afghanistan have dramatically dropped military service has regained its appeal.

"Lets face it there are very few professions that you can go in they give you place to live, food to eat and clothes you wear everyday and a paycheck on top of that. There's good security there for them and they kinda get established in life," says David Hamil, a retired Marine Corps major serving as ROTC advisor at Hayes High School near Austin.

Like most Jr. ROTC advisors Hamil is careful never to push teenagers into serving and the fact is the vast majority of young people who participate in High School programs will choose not to serve.

But Marine Corps recruiter Sgt. Jay Alvarez says the current economic climate has increased both interest and the quality of candidates.

"We tell them the jobs skills we have and some take a second and third look. Some just take the first look and say this is what I want," he says.

Army recruiter Sgt. Adam Farmer says there's another source of recruits filling the ranks - those who've already served and want back in.

"A lot of them come back and say, 'Man, I should of have never gotten out. I'm having a hard time now trying to get a job or trying making ends meet'," explains Farmer.

Ellie