02-24-09, 07:23 AM
Marine wants to go back
Student postpones senior year to serve again

Rachel Scall, Staff Writer

Print this article
Share this article

Published: Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Updated: Tuesday, February 24, 2009

In the sweltering Iraqi heat, Ian Lawrence manned a machine gun on a U.S. Marine Corps Humvee. As he drove down the street, cars pulled over immediately lest they be considered a threat.

But at UNC, Lawrence is another undergraduate walking through the quad to class.

Last year, Lawrence decided to put off his junior year and deploy to al-Anbar province. In January, he chose to delay his senior year and go back this summer for a second tour.

It is uncommon for military students at UNC to deploy during their schooling, said Lt. Col. Monte Yoder, military science professor.

The nearly 160 ROTC students tend to deploy after college, he said.

But when students do interrupt their education, it’s because they want to serve, not because the military forces them. Lawrence wanted to be in Iraq before the war ended.

“I felt like everybody in the military should go do their part,” Lawrence said.

He joined the Marine Corps Reserve after high school graduation. Lawrence’s family wanted him to join ROTC and become an officer, but he always had respect for enlistees.

“I was 18 years old and I thought it was badass,” Lawrence said.

Lawrence’s duty was to detect explosive threats to his unit’s truck. He said he felt responsible for looking after men in his unit.

“I was kind of like the eyes of the truck,” he said.

And then it was back to school, where Lawrence sometimes became frustrated by students who did not share his experiences.

“Everyone likes to criticize the war,” he said, “especially on this campus.”

Lawrence’s closest friends know not to bring up his Iraq experiences, but others don’t know where to draw the line.

“They ask pretty typical questions, like, ‘Have you killed anybody?’” Lawrence said. He gives simple answers to these questions — he was there to do his job, he’ll say.

Iraq was not what Lawrence had envisioned. He found himself separated from everything he was familiar with — everything from his family to the English language.

Lawrence’s family was proud that he wanted to serve his country but worried about what could happen.

“We just had to believe that God had a plan for his life,” said Pat Lawrence, his mother.

But he said his Iraq experience was mostly positive. He witnessed reconstruction and loosening security.

He’s hesitant when he defends the decision to deploy this summer.

“I really don’t want to leave Carolina at all,” Lawrence said.

But Iraq taught him discipline and responsibility. On his second tour, he’ll help new Marines adjust to life at war.

“I just turned 22,” Lawrence said. “But I feel like an old man.”

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.

Ellie