PDA

View Full Version : Approaching your parents ...

Streeter
02-23-09, 06:07 PM
Alright so I have finally made my decision that when I graduate I am going to join the Marine Corps, but I have a problem. I am only 16, but I have done my research. I either want to be a Combat Engineer or a Grunt. Now I would like to join when I am 17 (the sooner the better ehh?) but my mother shoots down everything I say about the Military so I know she won't sign, as for my dad, whatever my mom says he usually does. So I told her last night that either she or him signs it this summer or I do it when I graduate.

I really need some advice here, I took the PFT at my school a couple of weeks ago and passed it (I could do better) so I am either deciding to wait another year and work on my PFT score or to try and convince one of my parents to sign me in (of course I can do it when I am 18)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wyoming
02-23-09, 06:38 PM
Adapt, Improvise, and Overcome.

So you wait. The Corps ain't going anywhere.

Besides, this will give you the chance to get a Marine Corps Bulldog tattoed on your chest.

SGT7477
02-23-09, 07:53 PM
It never ends,lol.

JWDevilDog
02-25-09, 12:40 AM
If you can pass a Marine Corps PFT before boot camp, you will be fine. The Drill Instructors will get you to where they need you.

In terms of when you enlist. Take a thorough look at yourself and figure out if you are mature enough to be a Grunt or an Combat Engineer at such a young age. Of course plenty of people have done it, but with those two MOS's especially, maturity is very important. Peoples' lives are literally on the line.

I applaud you for your desire, but as the Corporal said, the Marine Corps isn't going anywhere. If you are not mature enough, then wait. That's all there is to it. Don't take this the wrong way, but there is no reason to risk the lives of Marines just because of a maturity factor.

Good luck.

KawiGunny
02-25-09, 06:59 AM
If you have a good relationship with your parents, sit them down and talk to them about your desires. Do it in a meaningful way and remember to be respectful. If they still don't see it your way, then wait till you can do it on your own. The relationship you have with your parents now ain't worth ruining because of your desires while still a minor under their roof. We have been around for this long, and we ain't closing the doors tomorrow.

Streeter
02-25-09, 01:34 PM
If you can pass a Marine Corps PFT before boot camp, you will be fine. The Drill Instructors will get you to where they need you.

In terms of when you enlist. Take a thorough look at yourself and figure out if you are mature enough to be a Grunt or an Combat Engineer at such a young age. Of course plenty of people have done it, but with those two MOS's especially, maturity is very important. Peoples' lives are literally on the line.

I applaud you for your desire, but as the Corporal said, the Marine Corps isn't going anywhere. If you are not mature enough, then wait. That's all there is to it. Don't take this the wrong way, but there is no reason to risk the lives of Marines just because of a maturity factor.

Good luck.

Well I was a Boy Scout (if it means anything) and I was on the Student Council for 3 years (8th, 9th, and 10th Grade) so I am quite mature I guess, as opposed to some of my peers. Plus I can handle myself pretty well.

As for what KawiGunny said, let me break it down. (story time) I have a older brother who joined the Army back in 03, he is a combat medic, and when he left for Training my mom cried for about 3-4 days straight (literally) so if I even say the word "mil" she freaks out. I guess I am just going to have to wait.

I just want to thank you all for your suggestions, I really do appreciate them.

sscjoe
02-25-09, 01:59 PM
Although I don't expect you to know that when you address a Marine it's by rank. You best apoligize before the G/Sgt put a whooping on you.

davblay
02-25-09, 02:38 PM
Alright so I have finally made my decision that when I graduate I am going to join the Marine Corps, but I have a problem. I am only 16, but I have done my research. I either want to be a Combat Engineer or a Grunt. Now I would like to join when I am 17 (the sooner the better ehh?) but my mother shoots down everything I say about the Military so I know she won't sign, as for my dad, whatever my mom says he usually does. So I told her last night that either she or him signs it this summer or I do it when I graduate.

I really need some advice here, I took the PFT at my school a couple of weeks ago and passed it (I could do better) so I am either deciding to wait another year and work on my PFT score or to try and convince one of my parents to sign me in (of course I can do it when I am 18)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

FYI....they both have to sign, unless one has total custody of your young azz!

Dave

giveen
02-25-09, 02:41 PM
Wait till your 18, the Corps isnt going anywhere.

Streeter
02-26-09, 08:48 PM
FYI....they both have to sign, unless one has total custody of your young azz!

Dave

Roger that Cpl. Like everyone has been saying, the Corps is not going anywhere :D

Alisium
03-01-09, 03:17 AM
Man don't give up.

I was 17, called my recruiter when I was sixteen and had been bragging about the Marines since I was five. The whole time my mother hated the idea and hated the Marine Corps. She did everything in her power, including:

Pulling me out of the rack at 11 for some "Dateline" bs about hazing when I was 14, screamed and shouted and tried to use religion to tell me I wasn't meant for the Marines. She even sicked a USAF recruiter on me!

Yet, on Dec 10th, four days after my 17th birthday, both her and my father signed my enlistment papers.

Hang in there. They'll either do it or they wont. The worst case scenario is you have to wait a year and get a little stronger and wiser.