PDA

View Full Version : Comical Ali Captured

yellowwing
06-25-03, 03:58 PM
Jun 25 2003

WORLD EXCLUSIVE

From Paul Martin In Baghdad, for the London Daily Mirror

COMICAL Ali, Saddam Hussein's ludicrous spin doctor, has been arrested in Baghdad, it was claimed last night.

Information minister Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf had been hiding out at a relative's house since April watching satellite TV - banned under Saddam.

US troops set up a road block in the Baghdad suburb and caught him in his car on Monday night.

Al-Sahaf - who became a comic hero for his ridiculous denials of the truth in the Gulf War including "We are winning" as Baghdad fell - gave himself up without a fuss.

It was thought he might have killed himself when he disappeared on the day the Iraqi regime collapsed, still insisting Saddam would prevail.

But after his arrest the man, infamous for his amazing lies, begged US soldiers to save him from the embarrassment of being taken away publicly in a conspicuous armoured Humvee.

He was allowed to go into the house where he has apparently been holed up with his wife Lamia, daughter Thefaf and doctor sons Ziad and Isama, to collect a toothbrush, razor and book.

He wore a short-sleeved shirt, rather than his trademark army uniform and beret but was told to remove his tie for fear he might try suicide.

The Americans hope that Sahaf, who did not appear in their deck of cards of Iraq's most wanted, will tell them where Saddam is hiding.

A senior coalition source said: "He has some serious talking to do ... this time."

Relatives said Sahaf has been in a state of shock since the regime collapsed.

He was the last member of Saddam's Ba'ath party to abandon his post, giving his final briefing on the morning the tyrant's statue was symbolically toppled in the capital.

In it he cheerily insisted: "There is no presence of American infidels in Baghdad. They are going to surrender or be burned in their tanks". As he was speaking, US troops were pouring into view behind him, waving to cheering Iraqis.

A colleague at the radio station where he had sent desperate propaganda broadcasts in the last days, told how he had returned and poignantly removed his beret and epaulettes, threw the keys of his Mercedes and his satellite phone into the Tigris River and vanished.

His disappearance prompted rumours he had hanged himself on a lamppost, unable to cope with the reality that Saddam had finally gone.

But he is reported to have spent much of his time watching banned satellite television which his homes have had for many years. Friends said his main pleasures were a few shots of Scotch whiskey and regular barbecues of skewered beef and lamb.

Meanwhile, a worldwide industry exploiting his cult status is growing around the world.

A website set up in his honour crashed after receiving 4,000 hits per second.

And fans have bought thousands of t-shirts with his picture and his most fanciful sayings including: "We slaughtered them and we will continue to slaughter them. God is grilling their stomachs in hell."

Story Online (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/content_objectid=13107151_method=full_siteid=50143 _headline=-COMICAL%2DALI%2D%2DHELD%2D%2D%2DNO%2DJOKE%2D-name_page.html)

Devildogg4ever
06-25-03, 04:14 PM
Another One Bites The Dust!! :banana:

Sparrowhawk
06-25-03, 04:22 PM
Is denying that he has been arrested.

According to informed sources, Baghdad Bob is simply stating that he is on holiday, and has not been captured or taken into custody.

He did however say, that he has been approached by the Clinton's and asked to be their publicity spokesmen.

LOL

yellowwing
06-25-03, 05:23 PM
He can't be that bad. He likes his scotch and barbecue. How many SNCOs does that describe? :)

richgitz
06-25-03, 06:34 PM
ALright Sparrowhawk.
May-be he smoked weed and didn't inhale. It always seemed to
me that this Ass***e is on drugs. Or too damn stupid. Maybe
he'll spill his guts, when he's questioned. It would be great to
get the the BIG Fish, and his two perverted sons get caught.
SEMPER-FI Brothers.:marine: :banana:

btrogu
06-25-03, 07:31 PM
LIVE FROM NEW YORK IT'S SATURDAY NIGHT

yellowwing
06-25-03, 11:02 PM
I think he did his job with the utmost of his abilities, until it was no longer possible. Who else could spew BS about no Americans in Baghdad right up until we were right over his shoulder in camera view.

He should get the Iraqi version of the Navy Achievement medal or a Golden Globe Award.

If every Iraqi in uniform had his chutzpah, it would have taken us at least another 12 hours to topple the Saddam statue!

"I am an Iraqi fighting man. I serve in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to lie through my teeth in their defense. Afterwards I will retire to sip scotch and eat barbecue" :)

thedrifter
06-26-03, 04:12 PM
Iraq's ex-information minister appears on Arab TV

By Sarah El Deeb
ASSOCIATED PRESS
11:01 a.m., June 26, 2003

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – The former Iraqi information minister, who gained notoriety during the war for wildly implausible claims of victory, showed up on Arab television Thursday – his first appearance since the collapse of Saddam Hussein's regime.

In an interview with Al-Arabiya satellite network, Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf claimed he had surrendered to American forces, was questioned and let go.

"Through some friends, I went to the Americans," he said. "I was interrogated about a number of subjects related to my job. After that, I was released."

The network aired only a few remarks from the 30-minute interview it said it conducted with al-Sahhaf on Thursday in a Baghdad suburb. The full interview was to air on Friday.

It was not clear from the promo when al-Sahhaf claims the alleged interrogation and release took place.

London's Daily Mirror said in its Wednesday edition that al-Sahhaf had been arrested in Baghdad on Monday night. However, U.S. Defense Department spokesman Col. Jay DeFrank said Wednesday that Central Command had no information on his being in U.S. custody.

In Thursday's clip, al-Sahhaf appeared fit and wore civilian clothes. But he was thinner and his hair was white – a sharp change from his previous look of military fatigues and black hair tucked under a beret.

He referred to the dying days of Saddam's regime.

"It was a difficult situation, not for one individual, but for everybody," he said.

The interview will include "important information about the last war and the fall of the Iraqi regime," al-Arabiya said in a statement sent to The Associated Press.

He "was exclusively interviewed in his hide-out in Baghdad," it said, but did not say where.

Al-Sahhaf appeared on television worldwide in daily briefings for the international press in Baghdad before and during the U.S.-led war, speaking about Iraqi military successes and insulting coalition forces, President Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

He denied that U.S. tanks were in Baghdad even as television pictures showed them in the city.

"There is no presence of American infidels in the city of Baghdad," al-Sahhaf asserted outside Baghdad's Palestine Hotel on April 7.

A day later, when the hotel came under U.S. tank fire, he had to admit to the journalists staying there that coalition forces were in the capital. But, smiling, he made it sound like it was all part of Iraq's plan:

"We blocked them inside the city. Their rear is blocked," he said in hurried remarks that were a departure from his daily news conference.

Al-Sahhaf disappeared April 9, the day Baghdad fell to coalition forces. He is not on the list of the 55 most wanted Iraqi officials.

Al-Arabiya has been linked to the ex-minister before: A month ago, it announced that it would offer him a job as a commentator on Iraqi affairs if it located him. He might not be credible, the station's officials said then, but he is popular and was in the Iraqi regime.

Ali al-Hadithi, the station's general supervisor, said Thursday that the issue was still being discussed.

"We managed to get the interview today. The other issue will be discussed once he leaves Iraq," al-Hadithi said.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/world/iraq/20030626-1101-iraq-informationminister.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: