PDA

View Full Version : Physical Conditioning before Enlisting?

AF2Marine
02-23-09, 02:16 PM
What are some good workouts for someone prepping to join? I'm in pretty good shape, but everybody knows there's a difference between being in shape for football and being in shape for basketball. I'm hot sh*t physically for the AF but I'm sure the Corps PT tests are more challenging. What are your standards as a Marine.

whisper07
02-26-09, 11:24 AM
the Physical Fitness Test (PFT) is as follows

-3 mile run min 28 min 100 points is at 18:00
-3 pull-ups min (arms extended, and when pulling yourself up chin must pass the bar) 100 points at 20 pull-ups.
-45 crunches min 100 points at 100 crunches

You will be treated as a weakling if you can't get a total of 220 and above which is classified as a 1st class PFT.

To help with the running portion do some sprints during your runs, just some quick burst for at least 1 min then go to a medium jog for 1 min and then another sprint for 1 min and ect...

to help with the pull ups do wide grips on the bar with your hands facing away from your body do as many as possible then do 10 push-ups, mount the bar again and do 10 pull-ups and again do 10 push-ups, again mount the bar and do 9 and so on, you get the jist of it just count down while doing pull-ups but always do 10 push-ups. Afterwards count upwards again for the pull-ups. (hint: they will be doing this in boot camp.)

Now lastly for the crunches there is no specific way of doing this (yet) but this was what I was thought and have used so far. Grab both your elbows, and rest them on your chest (in some cases your upper abdomin) making sure you do not lift your arms of your chest do a crunch. aim for 100 every set (3 sets for training purposes do this for 15 mins: 100 every 5 min).

Do some cross fit work outs if you don't have that much time to do the above routine.

rvillac2
02-26-09, 01:28 PM
Please fill out your profile Cpl Whisper.

Pete0331
02-26-09, 09:14 PM
What are some good workouts for someone prepping to join? I'm in pretty good shape, but everybody knows there's a difference between being in shape for football and being in shape for basketball. I'm hot sh*t physically for the AF but I'm sure the Corps PT tests are more challenging. What are your standards as a Marine.

Get a 1st class PFT and be able to pass the CFT first before moving to other workouts.

The DEP PT schedule works if you follow it.

Alisium
03-01-09, 03:48 AM
Yoga and run.

Seriously, all the crap you have to do in recruit training and the Fleet requires someone with good over all stamina, great muscle endurance and outstanding core strength.

Get a cheap yoga dvd and do a 30 min session five times a week. That takes care of the muscle endurance and core strength. Trust me, after two weeks you'll see a huge difference.

And run. Mix up long runs at less than max out put with short maximum output runs, couple times a week. On your long runs try and stay over 4 miles, cause if you can do 4 you can do three, right?

Do that two or three times a week. Set aside an extra day for some creative runs, like wind-sprints, fartleks, speed drills and stuff like that. If your recruiter has the time, have him teach you how to do a fire-team rushes. (full body, anerobic and aerobic workout) Try doing one set back and forth once on a football field.

Make sure you have at least two days for rest per week to let your body recover and grow stronger.

One extra tip.

Fill up your school back pack or hiking pack with some weight (about 50lbs). Once a week, take it for a long walk around town or even a jog. Heck you can just wear it around the house all day. Toughen up those neck and shoulder muscles. You'll be sooo glad you did.

And lastly,

Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate!

Good luck and congratulations for acting like a man in a nation of sissys.

Pete0331
03-01-09, 04:01 AM
Fill up your school back pack or hiking pack with some weight (about 50lbs). Once a week, take it for a long walk around town or even a jog.

No. Only go up to 30lbs.
Anymore weight can cause feet and joint problems.
Not the time to be hurting oneself, right before Boot Camp.

It is an excellent workout.

Alisium
03-01-09, 04:24 AM
Good point! Thanks.