PDA

View Full Version : MCT or Bust.

srinaldo86
02-23-09, 09:23 AM
Good Morning Marines,
I'm currently in purgatory between recruiters assistance and MCT. I am supposed to leave tomorrow for MCT but now I'm waiting for my recruiter to call and say my orders have changed.
I'm curious if anyone has any insider information on how likely it is that I will get recruiters assistance. He turned my orders in on Wednesday the 18th so I hope it wasn't to late. I know my recruiter wants me there because I'm motivated as heck about getting some new poolees and I'm a very approachable guy so hopefully the Marine processing my orders knows that too.

Anyways! Trying to kill two birds with one post, I'd like to see if I can get a straight answer from someone fresh out of MCT. WHAT DO I REALLY BRING?!? Every search turns up mixed and muddy answers. I've already decided to have my girlfriend/mom deliver my expensive/fragile civilian gear (such as laptop) to me on 'graduation' day from MCT because I am told that after MCT you go straight to your MOS School. Also what is it really like down there? I'm excited about the training but will we be treated like recruits all over again?

Thats it for now, thank you Marines!
Have a great day.

Chumley
02-23-09, 10:46 AM
What is your MOS? If your MOS school is short ( < 2-3 months ), I wouldn't bring too much, except Cellphone and digital Camera - basics, and maybe the laptop. Are you going to Geiger for MCT? I'd suggest to wait for more personal items when you get to your first permanent duty station. Possessions are heavy. Travel light, especially now while you are bouncing around. You'll find there's plenty to do.

PS - You will be flying quite a bit in the beginning of your enlistment, then sporadically throughout. See if you can get into a frequest flyer program and collect the flyer miles, ( credit card program may be the best option ?). I went back and forth from NY to SC/NC and then to and from NY to HI about 4 times...coulda had some free vacations in there if I had been wiser.

SFi
C

srinaldo86
02-23-09, 11:00 AM
Good advice Cpl., Thank you.

My MOS is 5800 (MP) Which is a 13 week long course in Missouri. I live in NC about 2 hours away from MCT so I'll be driving down there. My only flights will be to Missouri and back for now hopefully... And then of course my first permanent duty station *cough Japan cough* hopefully.

Honestly I don't have much, no furniture/tv or anything like that. All I have is a laptop, cell, digital camera, and clothes. I got rid of all my other junk before boot camp.

UsmcMotorT
02-23-09, 11:04 AM
While at Camp Elmore In Norfolk VA, some boot walked up to me asking me where she could find a boot brush. So I walked her to that aisle and asked her what she was doing.

Well apparently they have a shopping list out now of what they have to bring (gear list). Maybe you can get your hands on that gear list. When I went to MCT in 2002, we just brought whatever we were issued. You may want to bring everything on the gear list because they may do an inventory check. Don't be that guy.

srinaldo86
02-23-09, 11:10 AM
Darn good advice Sgt. They gave us a list of what to bring and basically if I dont open my seabags between boot camp and MCT I'll have everything I need for training but I'm more curious about civilian gear.

Chumley
02-23-09, 11:15 AM

My MOS is 5800 (MP) Which is a 13 week long course in Missouri. I live in NC about 2 hours away from MCT so I'll be driving down there. My only flights will be to Missouri and back for now hopefully... And then of course my first permanent duty station *cough Japan cough* hopefully.

Honestly I don't have much, no furniture/tv or anything like that. All I have is a laptop, cell, digital camera, and clothes. I got rid of all my other junk before boot camp.

If you don't make it to Oki right away, it's only a matter of time before you do - I wish I had gone!! Oki would usually be a 1 year tour, unaccompanied. You will likely see 3 year duty assignments if assigned to bases like Pendleton or Lejeune or K-Bay. Depending by the unit(s) you are assigned to will indicate how frequently you deploy. If you are assigned a stationary duty, with few deployments you will have time to collect some of those things ( TV, stereo, car, etc. ) If you are on the move a lot, which is likely, I'd avoid buying too much since it would end up in storage a lot - not too much enjoyment for your $$ spent. Travel light in the USMC is a very safe guideline...easiest on you. Save as much $$ as you can - eat in the chowhall as much as possible.

SFi
C

Chumley
02-23-09, 11:22 AM

Sorry - Murphy's Law applies here. ( I hope you are thinking reverse psychology ) Since you want to go to OKI, you'll be in LeJeune. If you don't want to go to war ( quit now ), you're heading for the Mid East. If you requested all East Coast duty stations on you wish list, you're going to west coast, and if you get seasick, you'll be on a float pretty soon.

SFi
C

srinaldo86
02-23-09, 02:04 PM
MCT bound tomorrow! Finally got a hold of my recruiter and he said "there's no delay in your training." and "they need you on the front line."

Oh well, I'll get out of student status a month earlier I guess.

Can anyone give me some info on what the schedule is like?

Does the 29 days start tomorrow or the 25th? My report in date is the 24th, so would I graduate March 24th?

MLMonk
02-23-09, 02:59 PM
This is what you bring. All your cammies, wear your alpha's (even though you are litterally going to change right into woodlands) and bcg's if you wear them. All white clothes and civilian attire get locked up. I'd invest in buying a lot of green on green. Because you won't shower litterally for a week straight. Also your sweat top and bottom. And obviously hygiene hear. When I was there that's all I needed. You get a px call the 2nd day there. Make sure you have about 200 left in you bank for that just incase. That's really about it.

And who were your drill instructors? Because I was Quebec co 3089 graduating oct 17th.

srinaldo86
02-23-09, 03:39 PM
Pfc Monk you sound like just the Marine I need to be talking too!
I planned on bringing all my uniform items of course but I'm really curious about some of the trash they have on this list and how strict they are about the items.
For example the list says 2 bars of soap and a soap box... Well I dont use bar soap I use liquid... Also as far as skivvy drawers go what if I want to wear boxers? Do I HAVE to wear white drawers and green skivvy shorts or am I allowed to wear boxers? Obviously I need my green PT shirts and white dress shirts so thats not an option.

(I'm reading the list as I write this and its the items I dont understand.)
List of curious "required" items:
Hand sanitizer (says I need 2 bottles)
Baby wipes (I know I need them but do I have to BRING them or can that be a PX item?)
Anti-Fungal powder - tinactin - (What if I don't use it?)
Bandaids, cotton swabs, moleskin (I dont use that crap either)
Whistle?!? (Never issued one or used one in the USMC)
Ear plugs (it says I need to pairs, mine from bootcamp broke.)
Cammie face paint (trashed, do i really need it?)
Mapping pens (Never issued, do I need them?)
Gun towel - (Does that mean the labeled mickey mouse rag or can I just use a damn towel?)
Scrub brush - (as in my Scuzz Brush from PI?)

I take these list rather seriously and will pack everything it tells me to if I HAVE too but if I dont have to or dont use it then why?

Is MCT basically a 4th Phase of bootcamp? I've heard so many different descriptions of it and you seem to be the most recent out of it.

Also I see you're at Ft. Lost in the woods, what are you there for? I'll be heading that way after MCT. How is it there?

Sorry for the 100 questions but my curiosity is increasing with less time before arriving.

EDIT: Last question for this post, I was told to bring cash for a bunch of stuff travel/cuts/PX. Do I need cash or can I use my debit card? (I wont be paying for travel on the way down, The Marine Mom is driving me.)

srinaldo86
02-23-09, 04:03 PM
I guess if I expect you to answer my questions I should answer yours.

My drill instructors from India Company Plt. 3000 were:
SDI SSgt. Robinson who then left for Afghanistan and was replaced by SSgt. James.
DI Sgt. Arnold
DI Sgt. Pinson
DI Sgt. Garza
I then got moved to Quebec company Plt. 3012 on training day 60 due to an injured wing and my new DIs were,
SDI SSgt. McIntosh
DI SSgt. Ramirez
DI Sgt. Shade

Quinbo
02-23-09, 04:05 PM
I'd pay good money for one of those muslin towels that has pictures of every rifle part on it. Yea you need to take your entire issue with you to MCT. Some of it will be useless as tits on a boar hog while there but you are subject to inspections. Wear whatever the hell drawers you want but have the ones on the list in your seabag. Grunts wear them for a week then toss them in the dumpster. Go commando if you like but have everything on the list.

PaidinBlood
02-23-09, 04:14 PM
you think those BS gear lists are something? Wait til ya deploy. Try going to war with only 2 laundry pins (the big diaper pins) or 9 wooden clothes pins and you will wish you were never born...

Petz
02-23-09, 04:19 PM
What is your MOS? If your MOS school is short ( < 2-3 months ), I wouldn't bring too much, except Cellphone and digital Camera - basics, and maybe the laptop. Are you going to Geiger for MCT? I'd suggest to wait for more personal items when you get to your first permanent duty station. Possessions are heavy. Travel light, especially now while you are bouncing around. You'll find there's plenty to do.

PS - You will be flying quite a bit in the beginning of your enlistment, then sporadically throughout. See if you can get into a frequest flyer program and collect the flyer miles, ( credit card program may be the best option ?). I went back and forth from NY to SC/NC and then to and from NY to HI about 4 times...coulda had some free vacations in there if I had been wiser.

SFi
C

that's a great idea... when I was doing all that they didn't have it electronically so I could add my frequent flyer miles to the government ticket... though I recently (two year now) went to hawaii and did it for that flight... I was even delayed coming back and argued a free round trip ticket out of the airline... told them I lost money due to missing a meeting because of a mechanical problem on their plane... something they should have prevented...

MLMonk
02-23-09, 08:10 PM
I have never had an inspection there. Most of the things on that list they sell at the px, and I would advise the liquid soap over the solid. You'll need a cleaning towel, that's good for a rifle,...

PaidinBlood
02-23-09, 08:23 PM
There's a walmart outside the base, tattoo shops and hotels, also 2 strip clubs and a few clubs.

What more could a Marine ask for? :yes:

Qwarkeh
02-23-09, 10:15 PM
The list probably hasn't changed since when I graduated MCT on October 6th, so I'll help out with your list.

Hand sanitizer: MCT is nasty, you want those.
Baby wipes: They have field wipes at the PX.
Anti-Fungal powder - tinactin - (What if I don't use it?): Try saying that if you get athlete's foot.
Bandaids, cotton swabs, moleskin (I dont use that crap either): If you get a cut out there in the field, and it gets infected because you didn't treat it, it's on you.
Whistle?!? (Never issued one or used one in the USMC): This is for a land nav thing.
Ear plugs: Sold at the PX, get the cheap ones, and probably multiple sets since there WILL be people who lose theirs.
Cammie face paint (trashed, do i really need it?): We used it a grand total of once.
Mapping pens (Never issued, do I need them?): Er, don't remember if we used them.
Gun towel - get a small rag to clean it with, chances are you'll say "**** carrying this gun towel around!" like most of us.
Scrub brush - (as in my Scuzz Brush from PI?): Yep. On grad day a DI took mine from me and said "You won't need it in MCT, trust me." For the most part, she was right.

srinaldo86
02-23-09, 11:54 PM
Alright, I think I've got everything I need...
I basically packed everything I had from boot camp originally in two sea bags all into one sea bag now. Thank God I'm resourceful at times. I've got pretty much everything off the list so now they cant bust me to hard. Time for bed and in the morning I'm gone!
Cant wait to get it over with lol.
Ya'll have a good .... month?
Thanks for the help!

commdog7
02-24-09, 12:14 AM
I would highly suggest you pick up some of the Charmin to-go rolls from the PX prior to going out to the field. When I was in MCT, I packed 2 of those things, thinking they would come in handy. I recall the hump out to Camp Devil Dog, every time we stopped and Marines needed to use the head, we had to go in the woods. Somehow word got around that I had sh!t-paper, and next thing I knew everyone was asking for some. By the time we made it to the tents, it was all gone- I didn't even get a chance to use it. I spent the next 3 weeks going without anything to wipe with... it sucked.

Chumley
02-24-09, 07:00 AM
What more could a Marine ask for? :yes:

Oddessey Tattoo Shop applied an EGA to my left arm quite nicely. I didn't even have to ask for the Anchor Inboard, but make sure it's done correctly! :flag:

PaidinBlood
02-24-09, 08:22 AM
Commdog-that's how I knew my friends and I had completed the transition from Iraq....no longer hoarded toilet paper or carried wipes everywhere...

wipes can be a hard habit to kick...never do get over that oh so fresh sensation in the culo...:D

giveen
02-24-09, 08:32 AM
If you want to earn some money and you dont smoke/dip, buy several rolls of dip or several packs of cigarettes.
I would sell these for like $20 a can or $10 a pack, while out in the fields :) I made a killin' that way.

PaidinBlood
02-24-09, 08:39 AM
Be discreet. Not sure about MCT but in ITB 2 companies were prohibited from tobacco for the duration and the other 2 could only smoke/dip during sanctioned times at night. Seen unlucky Marines get caught and have to ingest the remainder of their contraband can of snuff.. MM-good.

giveen
02-24-09, 08:45 AM
When I was in MCT, they were allowed to do it only when authorized. So it was usually at the end of the day after the hump was over.

Petz
02-24-09, 10:02 AM
Be discreet. Not sure about MCT but in ITB 2 companies were prohibited from tobacco for the duration and the other 2 could only smoke/dip during sanctioned times at night. Seen unlucky Marines get caught and have to ingest the remainder of their contraband can of snuff.. MM-good.

well... I would just stare at the guy and wait to see what other punishments he's willing to dole out... It's hazing to actually make someone do that... so I'd rather do guard duty, or dig holes till I can't see at night than get sick as hell from eating dip... i've seen what happens.

now, if you do it and then call hazing, you are not a Marine in my book... just tell them you'd rather do some other type of punishment because of the questionable type of "request" they are giving.

just remember, it's eat the rest of the contraband or get paper in most cases... paper can ruin a good career before you even start it.