PDA

View Full Version : Hungry, soldier? Try the patch

thedrifter
06-25-03, 12:11 PM
IN THE MILITARY
Hungry, soldier? Try the patch
U.S. armed forces developing stick-on meals for troops

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: June 25, 2003
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

Despite overwhelming military technology on land, air, sea and in space, U.S. soldiers must still feed themselves the old-fashioned way – by carrying rations into battle with them.

In the future, however, they may be able to leave their food behind and instead sustain themselves with a stick-on meal.

The Guardian newspaper in London reports scientists at the U.S. Department of Defense are researching the development of a patch troops could wear while on duty.

Called the Transdermal Nutrient Delivery System, it works similar to a nicotine or nitroglycerine patch. If progress continues, the patches could be available as soon as 2010, so long as the private sector joins in their development.

"During short periods of high-intensity conflict, soldiers may not have access to a real meal or the time to eat it," says information posted on the Defense Combat Feeding Program, or CFP, website, the command developing the patches.

The system "is a nutrition patch that will transmit vitamins and other micronutrients or nutraceuticals to the war fighters and sustain their physical and mental performance," said the CFP.

"Clearly, it doesn't replace a turkey dinner," Gerald Darsch, director of the CFP, told the Washington Post. "It ensures the war fighter can get back to eat the turkey dinner."

Possible uses for the patch include wearing it in combat or when deployed in chemical suits, when normal eating is more difficult. Nutrients vital to survival would be absorbed directly into the bloodstream without entering the digestive system.

The Guardian said the patches could also contain caffeine to keep troops alert, rather than having to resort to other drugs.

"One potential means of transmitting nutrients would work like this: Sensors would first take readings on a war fighter's metabolism, then send information about the soldier's nutritional needs to a microchip processor," said the CFP. "This processor might activate a microelectrical mechanical system that transmits the micronutrients – either through skin pores or pumped directly into blood capillaries."

The CFP's mission is to develop technologies that "are focused on meeting the unique combat feeding requirements of each military service," according to a statement on the command's website. "This joint-service program is responsible for all efforts – including research, development, integration, testing and engineering – that support combat rations, field food-service equipment technology and combat feeding systems."

It is located at the U.S. Army Soldier and Biological Chemical Command in Natick, Mass.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33238

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

airframesguru
06-25-03, 12:15 PM
Looks like the final step in retiring the P-38/Johnny Wayne. I'm stocking up.

Roger sir,

Have you read the "Green Side Out"? I'm a pup so this is great reading for me.

S/F

MW

Sgt Sostand
06-25-03, 03:09 PM
i dont know about a pacth for food

ugly_angel362
06-25-03, 04:13 PM
How well would that really work? What would be the side effects? Would you lose weight? I think I'll stick to MRE's out in the field.

richgitz
06-25-03, 06:54 PM
What will they think of next? Wait a minute don'nt answer that.
Kind of makes me feel the cobwebs growing around me. Next
I'll smell mothballs. And to think all I really want is to get my
hands on, one more Ham & Motherf**kers. So life goes.
SEMPER-FI Brothers.:qmark: :banana: